Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203241 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7625 on: November 30, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
Beautiful posters both. That KONG rocks!! But over $100K? Wow..  faint2.gif

And I wonder why the seller used what looks like a stock image for the full shot of the Mickey Mouse poster? I'd rather see the actual item. The detail shots, tho, look like the actual, framed item for sale.

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7626 on: November 30, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
Plus you would think that he would add as many photos as possible (seeing as how you are allowed up to twelve free of charge by ebay) to show close-ups of small defects, fold separation,etc.

Apart from the price aspect, you would have to be a brave bidder basing your judgement on just the two photos.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7627 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
Plus you would think that he would add as many photos as possible (seeing as how you are allowed up to twelve free of charge by ebay) to show close-ups of small defects, fold separation,etc.

Apart from the price aspect, you would have to be a brave bidder basing your judgement on just the two photos.

Same with the KONG poster. The more pics, the better, especially when asking that kind of $$$.

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7628 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »
Is the person holding this poster really nine feet tall? If you scroll along all the photos the answer is revealed.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Original-movie-poster-jurassic-park-Lost-world-coming-soon-240cm-x-150cm-/282273268915?hash=item41b8cc44b3:g:ursAAOSwxg5Xzdwm

I don't think the brick wall is included in the price of the poster

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7629 on: December 01, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
And I wonder how he came up with that 700 euro starting price, too.  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7630 on: December 02, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »
Anyone else browsing Bruce's signature auction? I'm surprised buyers throw down these huge bids 24 hours in. Several over $5k already.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7631 on: December 02, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »
Anyone else browsing Bruce's signature auction? I'm surprised buyers throw down these huge bids 24 hours in. Several over $5k already.

Especially with the bidder called "stillcrazy." He's got some serious cash tossed at many of the highest bid items at this point. I wonder if he will hang on til the end.

-Jeff

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7632 on: December 02, 2016, 07:14:46 PM »
I noticed that bidder, yes.

Some really great posters there. Will be fun to watch.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7633 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
I generally see two classes of early bidder. The first just wants to be able to say he was high bidder for a short time, and doesn't really intend to win.

The other one is the guy who puts in a nuclear bid early in hopes that it will discourage other bidders.

I admit that I use a variation of the second strategy, but not until there is less than 24 hours left.  I will often put in my best bid and then walk away until it closes.  I find it less stressful, keeps me from getting drawn into a bidding war and still allows me to win more than I lose.  The key is being honest with yourself about what your top bid really is.  That is the bid where you won't feel bad if you lose it.
-Jay-

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7634 on: December 05, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
I generally see two classes of early bidder. The first just wants to be able to say he was high bidder for a short time, and doesn't really intend to win.

The other one is the guy who puts in a nuclear bid early in hopes that it will discourage other bidders.

I admit that I use a variation of the second strategy, but not until there is less than 24 hours left.  I will often put in my best bid and then walk away until it closes.  I find it less stressful, keeps me from getting drawn into a bidding war and still allows me to win more than I lose.  The key is being honest with yourself about what your top bid really is.  That is the bid where you won't feel bad if you lose it.

Good analysis. I never thought of the second strategy. I assumed everyone was #1.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7635 on: December 06, 2016, 04:55:57 AM »

Or maybe could Never win.

Am I right in saying there was the story of the Casablanca piano that was started at a needlessly low price so the auctioneer's friend could say he had bid on, and taken part in the auction for this piece?

Thing is, it never needed to start so low for him to do this, he could just as easily have shouted first and wait for the tidal wave to overtake him...

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7636 on: December 06, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4460417

$262 for Rogue One UK Quad. Got to be cheaper buying on the bay and shipping one over.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7637 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4460417

$262 for Rogue One UK Quad. Got to be cheaper buying on the bay and shipping one over.

Crazy money.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7638 on: December 06, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
The price itself is not crazy, some people just don't care about money and spend it willy-nilly.  Good for them.

What's crazy to me is that the poster is in "good" condition only, which, in Bruce's world, means pretty bad.  $262 for a brand new good condition whatever is crazy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7639 on: December 06, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
Crazy money.

And what has pushed a quad from a 2016 flicker to $262 with a just under 3 hours to go? Must be purely the SW connection? I wouldnt think this poster is uncommon and was likely printed in fairly large quantities?

Or maybe because it is a teaser?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:25:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #7640 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
the poster is in "good" condition only, which, in Bruce's world, means pretty bad.

T

Never mind!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:28:22 PM by BruceH »
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7641 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #7642 on: December 06, 2016, 08:45:06 PM »
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7643 on: December 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »
I sold the Star Wars Quad - I am pretty happy with the result. I hope the buyer enjoys the poster, there were two buyers around the mark one jumped out at $255. Thanks to Bruce and the team for the great service i have received - fully recommend
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:51:06 AM by Damomac »
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #7644 on: December 07, 2016, 02:17:15 AM »
i sold the Star Wars Quad - I am pretty happy with the result. I hope the buyer enjoys there were two buyers around the mark one jumped out at $255

Congratulations Damo. Good price secured

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7645 on: December 07, 2016, 04:52:45 AM »
Thanks, sometimes you have a hit sometimes a miss all part of the game i suppose but really happy with the result
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7646 on: December 08, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »
Dominique is going to be one happy camper, methinks. With this and all the others of his being auctioned.

Up to $20,500.00 with just over a half hour to go.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4461085

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7647 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »
I don't get this at all.  Aside from the title, this is one ugly poster.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7648 on: December 08, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
Looks like someone got total steal on it, tho ($26,055.00). The last one to sell on HA (was also not backed) in Nov of 2015, sold for $77,675.00   faint2.gif

Let's hope Dominique doesn't know that... he just might be  crying    ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:07:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7649 on: December 08, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
Yeah, but the modal average price was still around the $20+k mark.

$77k was an utter anomaly, by all accounts.