Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2195729 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »
HEY!!!! These were not asked for in the application!!!
I will probably eventually post a pic. I might even reveal my real name at some point but I fail to see why you would need to know my profession.
You sure you are a lawyer and not just one of those new govt cenus workers hired to inflate employment figures?  :P

You all sure to do take movie paper very seriously. I also must say these threads have been great entertainment  ;D

I just woke up from my nap.  It was a great suggestion.  I'm glad you've been entertained, Zorba.  At least there's that bit of usefulness from all this.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
Gee Mel, the parties AGREED to end the injunction. Do you see that as the same as being "dismissed"?

It sounds like they paid him to go away, which they surely should have done from the start, given the massive terrible publicity they received, and all the unfortunate information about their operation that was revealed, like their house bidder that almost never wins anything. How in the world do you know the lawsuits "lacked any legal merit"?

Bruce

No, it was not a typical settlement at all - and it appears that there was no settlement at all.  The plaintiff not only dropped his claims but was forced to remove all existing allegations from the Internet about Heritage.  That's a first-class legal @ss-whipping.

So as it stands, there is absolutely zero objective evidence to support Carson's, Wonka's, and your opinion that Heritage has done anything wrong.  More to the point, they had no grounds to accuse me of "harming the hobby" by staying neutral and not jumping on their anti-Heritage bandwagon.

And Zorba, there's no requirement to give any personal information about yourself.  But if you're going to constantly make personal attacks on others, then it's only fair that you stop hiding. (And I'm not talking about you.)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
No, And Zorba, there's no requirement to give any personal information about yourself.  But if you're going to constantly make personal attacks on others, then it's only fair that you stop hiding. (And I'm not talking about you.)

I know you arent talking to me and I knew what you were getting at  8)

scartacus

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »
I am going to break my golden rule here and contribute to "testy thread" that has nothing to do with me. Mel, I know you can look after yourself but after reading this latest spat I feel I have to throw in my two penny's worth.

A forum is only good as its contributors -- in my opinion, Mel is a tireless, prime contributor to this forum. His posts are always entertaining and he shares a huge amount of his stuff with everyone else. On the few occasions when he is "off" about something -- certain people seem to react disproportionately, treating him like an imbecile which clearly he is not.

We need to look after our prime assets like Mel, because if there was no Mel, this forum would be a much poorer place.

We also need to learn how to disagree with each other without getting superior/condescending/patronising. The shit stirrers need to learn to play nice, or play somewhere else. You know who you are. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
I could not agree more.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2010, 07:06:02 PM »
The keyword is "try." I'm the same way which is probably one reason I've never pulled the trigger on any Star Wars paper. No offense to anyone who has. But for me, every time I think about purchasing one, a flash comes into my head of all those crazy people dressed up in costumes lined up for blocks trying to see one of the movies or get into some crazy event. There is a line that not only do I not want to cross but I'd like to stay far away from or at least as much as possible, so I usually opt for getting another Eastwood or QT piece. Gotta keep with my collection theme of, "The Cinema of Cool."

You're so full of shit Chad.  I saw that life size bronze Yoda standing next to the 3 foot tall cloud city model hanging by monofilament in your room.  You're the big boss nerd.  BTW, I am driving down from Kansas tomorrow and have a couple of posters for you.

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »
Scartacus nails it.  Well put.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
Thanks guys. And just for the record, my posts have nothing to do with ego.  It's all fun and games.

Now here's the conclusion to the post that started the wholly unnecessary brouhaha:

Checked Emovie and Heritage and very few Star Wars posters have reached the $2,000 mark.  I still think this a fair price for this.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
I wouldn't pay the extra vig for the printers proof.  Given the beautiful condition of the poster, though, it's worth it.  I love that poster of all the Star Wars posters.  I remember being proud back then when it was still in theaters a YEAR later.  Boy, times have changed!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
Ill still argue these are not a printers proofs but we have been there, done that.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2010, 06:05:50 AM »
Ill still argue these are not a printers proofs but we have been there, done that.

Why not?  Can you link to the prior discussion(s)?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
This is a "Printer's Proof". Period.

It comes straight from a former employee who used to work at Gore Graphics in the 1970's. Gore Graphics printed many of the posters for the National Screen Service. We have a few other proofs from this source, and some of them are one of a kind. He (and other employees) used them directly to check for color consistency etc.. They were the first ones off the press. He had the freedom to take home whatever he wanted, so he decided to keep these and not throw them away like they usually did. He enjoyed his job there very much and that was one of the perks.

Bruce

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
Dave is correct. The printer proofs I auctioned a number of years ago came from a different Gore Graphics employee. There is no telling how many of each were kept by how many different employees. I do know that the studios splashed money around like crazy at that time, sometimes printing up several different full-color variations and then picking one to use, which was a very expensive procedure (of course, a slightly better poster could yield millions more at the box office, and those WERE pre-computer days).

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
Soooo... what'd I miss?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:36:33 AM by archie leach »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:42 AM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest8

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 06:05:04 AM »
Does tht poster have the USS Enterprise on it ?!?!?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »
Does tht poster have the USS Enterprise on it ?!?!?

LOL.. I didn't even notice that.. LOL

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
Thats great  laugh1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
That's near sacrilege in some parts!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 10:36:58 PM »
Star Wars in Hebrew going for $1500 with four days to go. Same seller as below.  I wouldn't pay more than $15 myself...

guest8

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
Guess Ill have to break out the large format printer !!! :P

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
Star Wars in Hebrew going for $1500 with four days to go. Same seller as below.  I wouldn't pay more than $15 myself...

Well, if Carson goes to sell one like it, don't offer him $15 for it or he'll ban you from the board.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
Well, if Carson goes to sell one like it, don't offer him $15 for it or he'll ban you from the board.

Lou-e Loo-way, don't mess with the bull lest you get the horns....   8)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
I thought Louie was funny myself

I wonder why the seller's 2 polish posters are only still at $1 while teh Israeli is $1429??

that is a mystery

-------