Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2166866 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »
We'll take the survey/poll tomorrow.
My arguing with a single guy in his mid 50s from his comic book office has been one of my least points to date so I'll wrap it up. I believe the survey tomorrow will speak for itself.
Rich, you're a blow hard by design. You can't help it. We'll talk a bit later. Night for now.

that's exactly what I'm talking about.. all you see is your narrow perspective and you are unable to debate anything on the merits.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »
I guess we all have our own pet peeves, I for one HATE movie spoilers, I wont read reviews until after Ive seen a movie, I don’t read the backs of books (and I read a lot). I do understand why people don’t like others outing an auction, its obvious, they want less bidders, I do not understand why it shouldn’t be allowed, or done.
The would be bidder, who is upset, is upset because they might pay more money.
There is also a seller/owner/consigner – who might make more money,
So the only reason is I WANTED THAT ITEM FOR LESS THAN IF OTHER PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT IT.
Big deal

so far Ari, you are essentially correct with the added proviso that "maybe the real other bidder is somewhere else so I am free to bid without fear of snipe"

You know last week in Columbus, I went upstairs to bid on a lot. I was waiting for it to come up & when it did, Morris told the auctioneer to hold on while they contacted a phone bidder. I patiently stood by while they called 1-2-3-4-5 phone numbers trying to reach him. They wound up not getting him, continued the auction and I won for minimum bid. However, I would have bid against him happily and whatever the outcome would have been it what it would have been. If I lost.. I wouldn't have cared one way or the other.. If I won and paid more.. that wouldn't bother me either.

By the way.. did any of you Star Wars fans see the 2 Star Wars Birthday posters currently listed on fleaBay?? Dave Lieberman has one listed and another seller does also, although his starting bid is pretty much retail, but Dave's started at 99 cents

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »
We'll take the survey/poll tomorrow.

and yes, take your poll.. I have a feelin where Holiday is going to tell you it belongs.
By the way Carson, do you identify with Napoleon??

-------

wonka

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
"Come on, Bruce...why..."

It was a joke, son. I guess a poor one. Does it make any sense I would attempt to promote my auctions this way?

Please delete the entire thread.

Bruce

I do appreciate the clarification there, Pa.  ;)

I agree, this thread should be deleted as this is a new low for the forum.  Seriously.

'Censorship' being waved around when its more about courtesy is so lame and immature.  Way to fight the good fight there, fellas...stand up for your rights!  LOL   eyeroll

wonka

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
how do you count non-members who lurk? are they just half a member like blacks were only half a person in the 1800s??

The most irrational, ignorant, and thoughtless sentence I have read on any forum over the past 10 years or so.

I don't think it can get more insulting or discourteous than comparing African Americans in the 19 century to people today checking out a forum.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

maybe he should have said "like gary coleman was only half a person"........oh no wait.......he was black........nevermind.. ;) :P

since this thread will probably be deleted........check out our latest auctions!!

http://shop.ebay.com/cinemasterpieces/m.html?LH_Auction=1&_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_mPrRngCbx=1&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »

maybe he should have said "like gary coleman was only half a person"........oh no wait.......he was black........nevermind.. ;) :P

since this thread will probably be deleted........check out our latest auctions!!

http://shop.ebay.com/cinemasterpieces/m.html?LH_Auction=1&_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_mPrRngCbx=1&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

Funniest post I've read yet...
Thank you, Dave!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
The most irrational, ignorant, and thoughtless sentence I have read on any forum over the past 10 years or so.

I don't think it can get more insulting or discourteous than comparing African Americans in the 19 century to people today checking out a forum.

Ben.. first of all, there was nothing ignorant about my statement. It was ignorant that Carson only thinks what a few members who don't want an open chat on a certain subject & everyone else is a blowhard, or wrong, or doesn't get it. My statement is a metaphor for the obvious fact that Carson think his interests are more important than someone else's. I'm presuming you do know what a metaphor is, don't you?? Furthermore, if you really tried to understand my statement - it clearly indicates that that anyone who thinks their opinion is worth more than someone else's is wrong. Ergo - no one should be counted as half a man.

In so far as outing an auction should be deferred to a "certain courtesy".. in whose mind?? Carson is a hypocrite on the issue as he's willing to out Lost in Translation or whatever Alamo posters his friend sells, but when the possibility that something HE may be interested is potentially going to be outted - it suddenly becomes a contentious issue.

Philosophy should be consistent, but Carson's is not and sadly, he doesn't seem to understand the dichotomy of his current position and his former position.

Concerning the "rights issue". Maybe you don't know that Holiday and Thierry created this forum because they felt they were being censored elsewhere, and they wanted to create a group where the admin - or any one else - would not censor anyone's speech. Thankfully Holiday has shown his beliefs to be solid in that arena and said that there will be no such rules in place as it would be a form of censorship. It's possible that because you're a younger fellow that you really don't understand the value of freedom. You will later in life after your own philosophy solidifies. If it doesn't... you'll become a Republican and move to Arizona..

-------

Carson

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »
Dick H., please remind us, should any of us ever wake one day in our late 50s, single, posting on the internet across four different poster forums and six comic book forums from a fart soaked chair in Las Vegas to reevaluate. Thanks.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
Dick H., please remind us, should any of us ever wake one day in our late 50s, single, posting on the internet across four different poster forums and six comic book forums from a fart soaked chair in Las Vegas to reevaluate. Thanks.

In Rich's defense, I must say "to each his own", and if that is what makes him happy, then who are you or anyone else for that matter to say that is right/wrong or good/bad?

Personally, I would much rather be where I am today, living by myself in a 700 square foot condo with a 2002 Camaro SS, posting on 2 poster forums, than where I was 3 years ago, living in a 2500 square foot townhouse with a 2 car garage that housed my old cars, a 1971 Chevelle SS 454 and a 2007 Corvette, and having to answer to a woman whom I did not get along with (to say the least) 24/7.

I am not taking sides, so I hope no one starts throwing insults at me, like a primate flinging turds, because I am not a fan of "1 guy 1 cup."  

Lastly, as Rodney King said, "Can we all get along?"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:03:19 PM by NeoLoco »

Carson

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
It's just some fun with Rich, Neo.
Nothing to philosophical.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
In Rich's defense, I must say "to each his own", and if that is what makes him happy, then who are you or anyone else for that matter to say that is right/wrong or good/bad?

Personally, I would much rather be where I am today, living by myself in a 700 square foot condo with a 2002 Camaro SS, posting on 2 poster forums, than where I was 3 years ago, living in a 2500 square foot townhouse with a 2 car garage that housed my old cars, a 1971 Chevelle SS 454 and a 2007 Corvette, and having to answer to a woman whom I did not get along with (to say the least) 24/7.

I am not taking sides, so I hope no one starts throwing insults at me, like a primate flinging turds, because I am not a fan of "1 guy 1 cup." 

Lastly, as Rodney King said, "Can we all get along?"

Very well said Neo

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »
It's just some fun with Rich, Neo.
Nothing to philosophical.

fun is one thing Carson. acting like a petulant child is a whole 'nother thing.

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »
If I've learned anything from my forum experience here it's that no one can please everyone all of the time.  So, I just speak my mind based on what I believe and that's it.

Anyone who resorts to petty insults in an argument is nothing but an witless idiot himself or herself.  It shows a lack of intelligence, and a lack of creativity.  It's the last resort of the dull mind.

There are diverse interests on this forum, as they are anywhere.  That's the way it is people, and I think that's just fine.

And no, Carson, this has nothing to do with our emails.  Nothing at all.  I enjoy relationships with many, many of the folks who are on opposite sides of this debate.  It's not a matter of choosing sides - that's pointless.  It's just how I feel.

Yes, I delete things I find offensive, such as pictures of boners, which have no place here, unless they are on a Polish poster.  That's ok.  I delete things like calling Rich Dick when we know fucking well his name is Rich.  Does calling him Dick support your argument somehow?  I can think of names I'd like to call most of you from time to time, but I don't.  It's pointless, and it's boring.

The beauty of this forum, like Thierry and I have said before, is that he and I don't have any expectations or concerns about participation. He and I would be just fine if we were the only two "members" and we just talk shit and show posters and the like.  That there is even a SINGLE member here is a bonus for us.  We enjoy the friendships, and the debates.  Thierry has always laughed at all the bullshit. I'm catching up to him.  I doesn't rile me any longer.

So, have at it, folks.  Leave.  Stay.  Whatever.  Just don't be hypocritical.

And on that note, yes, I think the thread was originally about POST auction analysis, meaning after an auction ends, Mel.  But, things change.  It went from that to discussing things pre-auction, mid-auction, what have you.  SO WHAT?  Are we so rigid in our views that anyone with contrary views is poisonous.  If you feel like that, then get lost.  Please.

And what about the ones who stir the shit just for the sake of stirring the sit, like the last guy with the "vintage" poster bullshit opinions?  Everyone railed against him, but there's those of you now doing the same fucking thing.  Grow up.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
Look guys, honestly, I don't give a damn what people do or say, as long as they remain cordial and stay away from personal comments.  Ben (Wonka) sent us an email earlier announcing his decision to walk away from a forum he found offensive.  Maybe he has already.  At the end of the day, it's totally up to him.  The main reason Holiday and I left MPF to create this forum is that we were both sick and tired of Andy's constant editing and banishing, which we will not start doing here.  However, I find the "half black" and "fart soaked chair" comments quite offensive, so I would kindly ask you guys to remain polite to each other.  We're a very small community, and this kind of attitude destroys our hobby.  Agree, disagree, this is what a forum is for.  Leave, stay, like Holiday said, we don't care.  We love you all.

Now, regarding the issue at hand, I personally would like it better if you refrained from posting ongoing auctions (just in case I happened to be looking at such auction.)  Now, that would piss me off.  However, after talking to Holiday a few minutes ago, I realize that stopping you guys from doing it would be a form of censorship and something Andy would do, which I absolutely want to stay away from.  Like Holiday said, there is no way to please everyone, not even me.  So I can't stop you from doing it, I can only say I don't like it.  The rest is up to you.

I remember a discussion Holiday and I had early on.  We agreed that we would only censor racial and derogatory comments.  Everything else is up to you guys.  You're all adults, we're not here to babysit anyone.  Just respect one another, please.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »
Thierry.. concerning my post.. here it is in full:
majority of the forum??  5-6 members is a majority? since when did we only have 10 total members on the forum?? You just mean 5-6 of the members whose names we see don't you?
I think we've seen way more than 10 different members posting, so I don't know how you achieve a comment like "majority of the forum" from just a few members

Do you count l u r k e r s who are members but never post or only post ocassionally?

how do you count non-members who lurk? are they just half a member like blacks were only half a person in the 1800s??

are you just counting the number of people who posted maybe within a stretch of 4 pages in a single thread? Okay.. that's a majority and no one else matters....

before anyone considers this offensive, I have to ask a question: what do you consider to be offensive about the post?? clearly if the entire post is read, what I'm saying is that considering anyone's opinions worthless is wrong, just as it was wrong for blacks to be counted as half a person in the 1800s (and before). In case you are not aware of it, that is indeed how the US census used to consider people before more intelligent philosophy displaced such thinking. For those who did not know this fact, there is your civics lesson. To be sure, no one should be considered 1/2 a person for any reason. Not even rapists and murderers. Why Ben finds it offensive is beyond me, because within the context of my statement, the metaphor is undeniably obvious and clearly not offensive.

-------

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
It's times like these that make me realize that everyone on this forum is a dork, me included. I didn't intend to be one but it happened. I got sucked in just as each one of you did. Yeah, I can go off back to my own personal life and pretend I'm not one but I have a poster collection that begs the differ.

Now in the grand scheme of life. When it is all said and done are you really going to give two shits about anything that happened on this forum? If so then there really is no hope for you and it is travesty that you will miss out on so much that Life has to offer.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:19 PM »
Rich, in your initial post, it sounded more like a statement against African-Americans.  No matter how historically correct it is, it is offensive if you don't further expose your point of view.  You have, thank you, but it came too late for people not to find it offensive.  I understand what you're saying, and I don't hold it against you, but it did sound a little racially connotated.  Let's move on, shall we?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
I always thought it was 3/5 ths and not 1/2. Besides women got the short end of the stick.

Black Men got to vote in 1869 (15th Amendment)
Women didn't get to vote until 1920 (19th Amendment)

At least that is what I remember from history class.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »
thierry.. there is no way anyone who reads my statement and understands it can say there is anything racist about it.. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
There is a metaphor in clear English that is easily understood and the only way someone could get anything racist about it is if they feel such matters should never be spoken about aka: political correctness to forget history.  My ex-wife is black, and I have dated women of all continents and cultures so I am most definitely not a racist and people would do better to read things with an open mind rather than a narrowly focused interpretation.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
I always thought it was 3/5 ths and not 1/2. Besides women got the short end of the stick.

Black Men got to vote in 1869 (15th Amendment)
Women didn't get to vote until 1920 (19th Amendment)

At least that is what I remember from history class.

you could be correct Supraman. It's possible that 3/5's was a Negro and 1/2 was a Native American.
It's really a sad commentary on people of any culture - including ours - which would have such a low feeling toward his fellow man.

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »

Nothing's getting deleted, though I may eventually un-stick this train wreck.  That was really funny, though Dave.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
For anyone who doubts whether people like this forum, go check out MPF and see how many posts have been made in the last few days over there.  The "civilized" "sterilized" "opinionized" "terrorized" site is dead.  We're alive and kicking.  Everyone loves a good train wreck it would seem.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »
oops.. wrong thread

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
For anyone who doubts whether people like this forum, go check out MPF and see how many posts have been made in the last few days over there.  The "civilized" "sterilized" "opinionized" "terrorized" site is dead.  We're alive and kicking.  Everyone loves a good train wreck it would seem.

it's not the last few days.  That forum has been dead for weeks.  I feel bad for all the people who are still paying for ad placement.  Oh well, at least they still have Martin Scorsese :)
My Personal Collection