Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2196814 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2100 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
I'd like to see a screwdriver come out of that hole and poke the eye until blood streams out.  That's exactly how I feel about this auction.

Whoaaaa....that's mighty harsh Thierry.
Maybe we should talk about these deep-seated, eye-poking thoughts...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2101 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
The consignor IS a Warner Bros exec and I know him personally. He saw them there, asked if he could have them and was given them. He asked what they were for and was told they were "for foreign distribution". That isn't THAT mysterious!

You make it sound like they were found by a guy who said they fell off the back of a truck!

Bruce

Then he should be able to tell you exactly what they are, Bruce.  It's really not THAT hard.  I know a couple people in distribution at WB.  I could probably ask them, but I'm afraid the answer would come after the sale.  These people never understand why this is worth anything to anyone.  Like I said, they print tons of this stuff internally and trash it afterward for legal issues.  I've seen tons of mockups and printouts discarded at DreamWorks.  I have a few, traded a bunch to Holiday way back when...
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2102 on: March 15, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
Whoaaaa....that's mighty harsh Thierry.
Maybe we should talk about these deep-seated, eye-poking thoughts...

One of my favorite scenes.  AWESOME!!!!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2103 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Okay, I emailed them both.  We'll see what they say.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2104 on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »

Like I said, they print tons of this stuff internally and trash it afterward for legal issues.  

Just goes to show that everyone has a different idea of what is cool and/or collectible.  I can think of a few reasons why people would think these are one or both - different art (than the one sheets) in a one sheet size, provenance, rarity.

Charlie

« Reply #2105 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
Good rule here.
All you newbs take heed.

Watch out for those commercial prints though...  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2106 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »

happy1 You and Me both...

You and Paul and Me ;)
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2107 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
I think Holiday has a duel ID, and he's just throwing people off the scent of what he's really after.... ;)

Ah, that would be a good one!  But, I don't.  It would be too easy to link it later when I posted new acquisitions to my site, especially with posters like these that are not seen often (or at all).
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2108 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »
Not as crazy as I thought it would be on those HP's.  I wonder why?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2109 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
I was intending to bow out, thinking I would like to see the whole set go to one person. Mark if you want the one I won for my high bid it is yours.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:22:12 PM by ddilts399 »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2110 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
I think, at the very least, they should all go to the same person.
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2111 on: March 15, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
Not as crazy as I thought it would be on those HP's.  I wonder why?

Because you stopped bidding.  The deep pocket people are either you or Mark.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2112 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »
I was intending to bow out, thinking I would like to see the whole set go to one person. Mark if you want the one I one for my high bid it is yours.

He only picked up two as it is. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2113 on: March 15, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Because you stopped bidding.  The deep pocket people are either you or Mark.

T

Maybe you're right.  They just didn't excite me that much when I considered it.  I got the two full-sized versions and I'm happy.

By the way, Bruce, if these posters came from an exec, why were they listed as "vintage theater-used"?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2114 on: March 15, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
I would have liked the whole eight poster set - I don't include the two posters Holiday won as they were different styles - but following the pre-auction hype I thought this would work out too expensive and didn't consider that option further. I wanted at least one poster and the only logical one was the Harry Potter style, which I correctly anticipated would be the most expensive. I placed late bids on this, once I was satisfied that no one was seeking to obtain the set and drive up the price. As prices were lower than expected the next two obvious styles to go for were Hermione and Ron.

Thank you for the offer Dale - I would accept if there was a probability I could obtain the remaining four styles as well but as there is not I will be content with my collection of three. With the benefit of hindsight I think Bruce may have achieved a higher price if he had sold these as one lot - I would have been prepared to bid more than the total price achieved to have the certainty of a set.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2115 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
Holiday and I had a long talk about these this morning.  I don't think he really wanted them.  On my end, through my WB inquiry this morning (still waiting for answers), I'm trying to see if there is another set over there for free.  I doubt there is, but I know I won't pay for those.

T
My Personal Collection

Freefall

« Reply #2116 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
Maybe you're right.  They just didn't excite me that much when I considered it.  I got the two full-sized versions and I'm happy.

By the way, Bruce, if these posters came from an exec, why were they listed as "vintage theater-used"?

Thanks for driving my Neville Longbottom poster to 191.00!  ;D

He is my favorite character along with the twins but I had to choose one because of budgetary concern. But if you would consider letting the twins go to me... ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:20:44 PM by Freefall »

Bruce

« Reply #2117 on: March 15, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »
On the "theater-used" part, we explain that all posters we describe that way were either printed used in theaters or were printed for theater use (as opposed to any kind of repro or commercial poster). There would be no way to determine if an excellent condition poster WAS used in a theater (and of course, anyone could make one appear as if it had).

On the set, Mark, I agree that in a dishonest auction, you would have surely paid more, because once you entered that higher amount the auction house would have mysteriously found an underbidder to make you pay near your maximum.

But had WE listed them as a set, there would have had to have been someone who was bidding over $1,000 for the set against you, and given that NO ONE (including yourself) made the effort to try to get them all, I think that is very unlikely (but of course, no one knows).

On whether they are a good buy or not, it is the same as with all rarities. If bunches more turn up, of course they will go for less. But if the others were trashed, then I believe these will later re-sell much higher. Time will tell.

On the prices, they seem good for year old posters. You guys created the $300 per poster expectation out of thin air.

Myself, I think the first one sold too low! Mark, if you want, I will give you $400 for it tonight (and I will give it to a supremely dedicated HP fan), The offer is only good for tonight, because tomorrow I may be able to get it from Thierry for $10!

Bruce

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2118 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »

..........Myself, I think the first one sold too low! Mark, if you want, I will give you $400 for it tonight (and I will give it to a supremely dedicated HP fan), The offer is only good for tonight, because tomorrow I may be able to get it from Thierry for $10!

Bruce

I'll pass on that offer Bruce! I predict in 15 - 20 years that one in particular will be a very sought after and valuable poster.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:32:00 PM by marklawd »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2119 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Probably right on the value, but the smaller sizes of the 8 did put me off a bit.  My best estimate is that they were printer proofs, or some other form of proof of art being considered.  If all 10 were full size onesheets, I probably would have broken the bank to get them all.  But, alas, I did not have to do that.

I do agree with Mark that the whole set likely would have brought in more together than separately. But, this is all speculation of course.  I'm happy with my two, Mark is happy with his.  All is well in the world.

Thanks for the clarification Bruce.  I was just curious about the nomenclature.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2120 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:04 AM »
Well that was interesting, my first time seeing a couple of auctions to the end, and winning my first poster off Bruce (Snape version)!

As mentioned before if the set had been sold together they'd probably have gone for more, but when it transpired they were going to be auctioned individually I thought there'd be a chance (if I chose carefully) of me winning a couple. My cunning calculation was that most people would pick one, two or three posters to have a tilt at, maybe someone would go for the whole set but then they'd be stretched quite thin. There were the four primary styles (Harry, Voldemort, Hermione and Ron) that I thought would be the most expensive, then the secondary styles (Snape, Bellatrix, Neville and Draco) and finally the two full sized one sheets (Twins and Griphook).

As people have probably seen I've collected a few Potter posters recently so I thought I'd put a couple of good first bids in on Hermione and Snape to let other bidders know I was going for them (and nothing else). I had set myself a maximum amount I wanted to spread across both posters, but my serious target was the Hermione style, unfortunately I got things a bit wrong and no one out bid me on the Snape when it reached my maximum of $100! That meant I only had a small amount to play with to recapture the Hermione one, I did it in the last 5 minutes (and thought there was a chance!) but then I saw Mark had outbid me, doh! A quick scan showed me he'd gone over $300 for Harry, bagged Ron cheap so knew he was serious about getting the three main characters. My pot was empty and knowing Mark probably had some in reserve I backed away sharpish happy with winning the Snape version.

As for provenance, rarity and paying too much I think the final amount for all 12 was $1,123 (if my maths is correct) averaging out at just over $110 per poster. Not too ludicrous in my book. Others may turn up making the prices cheaper but if you're not planning on selling in the near future I agree with Mark, in the long run specific Potter posters from certain films will ultimately be quite collectible and sought after.

Just my 2 penneth worth... great fun tho and I must remember not to drink so much before the auctions end at midnight! ;D

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2121 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
^ha ha, sounds a good adventure AP! I remember my first bid in a Bruce auction - I accidentally bid on the incorrect poster (a single sided version instead of the double sided version listed next to it)...I was pretty annoyed, but then someone out bid me a few moments later...phew!

I can't stay up until the end of Bruce's midweek auctions due to the timezone differences and having a wife and small baby, so I normally plop my bid in around midnight and go to bed. I've quite often woken up at 4am to do a subtle check of my email on my phone to see if I have won anything though. My subconcious excitement about posters must wake me as I normally always sleep right through unless I have popped a bid in on something ha ha :)

tstatum

« Reply #2122 on: March 16, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
I had planned to go after 3 of the "lesser" character poster,  but a couple of hours before the bid I Recieved the bad news that what I thought would be a 200 dollar hvac repair had ballooned into a 1200 dollar job.  Needless to say I'm happy with the one I got.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2123 on: March 16, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
Cheers Tob, was great fun, If I'd just dropped my bids and gone to sleep I think I'd have done the same thing bed1

Good work tstatum, damn those unexpected bills tho, it looks like all but one of those posters went to people I recognise on here.

Think I better shift over to the post auction analysis thread now...

Still hyped about getting one ;D

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------