Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2831003 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #11200 on: April 14, 2024, 08:47:38 PM »
Looks like the last unbacked one Bruce sold was four years ago for just over $7,000, so today's result doesn't seem too out of line.
You know what they say, When T can't afford to collect anymore we're all in trouble.

As far as I can tell, only one sold in good folded condition (what I'm after, I don't buy lesser condition posters) at Emovie (none at HA).  I bid on it at the time and missed.  I resigned myself to buy a linenbacked one, but it just went for almost the same price than the folded one, which is completely wrong to me.  I had $5k in mind and bid that.  After that, we were in folded territory prices (I'll always bid more on a folded copy) and I passed.

And yes, I cannot win anything these days.  I just can't go that high.

T
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 08:48:45 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11201 on: April 14, 2024, 08:50:15 PM »
And for a totally opposite view, our former babe-bangin' buddy Mel posted this just a bit ago.

Hahaha that guy!!!!  I didn't know he was still around.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11202 on: April 17, 2024, 09:50:51 AM »
Hahaha that guy!!!!  I didn't know he was still around.

T

NOT that guy. A dealer using that name. No relation at all.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11203 on: April 17, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »
NOT that guy. A dealer using that name. No relation at all.

Cool, glad it's not him. Thanks for letting us know.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11204 on: April 18, 2024, 07:03:28 PM »
Some good results at Propstore today I think.  I don't buy linen, I don't buy printer's proof, and I don't buy less than "very good" condition items, so for me, it was a pass on everything.  But it's always fun to see the stuff you own go for 2x or 3x what you paid for, and there was a lot of that.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #11205 on: April 18, 2024, 07:12:59 PM »
I got the star wars soundtrack proof poster at today's propstore auction. And this appears to actually be a signed off one so the people who don't like to call untrimmed posters with color bars proofs can still call this one a proof because it actually is one. Interestingly the date is late June 1977.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11206 on: April 18, 2024, 07:51:28 PM »
I got the star wars soundtrack proof poster at today's propstore auction. And this appears to actually be a signed off one so the people who don't like to call untrimmed posters with color bars proofs can still call this one a proof because it actually is one. Interestingly the date is late June 1977.

Cool pick up, I had never heard of this soundtrack poster before.  I didn't realize it was so rare until I read your post since it looks just like the OS style A.  Congrats.

I agree with Thierry that there were too many things on linen for my taste at Propstore today (as usual), but I did win a folded copy of The Black Cat (1941), a minor Universal horror title that is very scarce (especially in unbacked state).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 07:52:32 PM by Antoine1973 »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11207 on: April 18, 2024, 10:18:46 PM »
I did see that Black Cat poster and thought it was pretty cool looking.  Have you seen the movie?

Honestly, the best thing about so many linen is that it allows me to go through the catalog pretty quicklyv thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11208 on: April 19, 2024, 08:43:06 AM »
I did see that Black Cat poster and thought it was pretty cool looking.  Have you seen the movie?

Honestly, the best thing about so many linen is that it allows me to go through the catalog pretty quicklyv thumbsup.gif

T

I've seen 1941's The Black Cat (not to be confused with the much more famous 1934 Universal movie of the same title which also starred Lugosi as well as Karloff), it can actually be found on an old Uni horror DVD collection I own that includes other minor titles like Captive Wild Woman and Man Made Monster.  It's definitely a lesser entry in the Universal horror canon, but an entertaining one nonetheless, particularly for a completist like me.  It's also notable for having an early appearance of Alan Ladd, who would become a major Hollywood star after starring in a few classic film noirs (This Gun for Hire, The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia) just a year later.

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #11209 on: April 19, 2024, 02:10:07 PM »
Cool pick up, I had never heard of this soundtrack poster before.  I didn't realize it was so rare until I read your post since it looks just like the OS style A.  Congrats.

The normal production poster of this is harder to find than a normal style -A but isn't super rare compared to other posters.  It's in the Kilian checklist poster for instance.  However, this is the first proof poster of this version publicly sold and on top of that looks like it was actually signed off on which makes it extra special.