Author Topic: Storing Bus Shelters, 40x60s, Subways, etc. Flat  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Storing Bus Shelters, 40x60s, Subways, etc. Flat
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
Yesterday I made this storage thing for storing my large format posters.  It's something I've wanted to do for a while, because unrolling 40x60s to put in a frame is a pain, rolling 40x60s after they've been in a frame is a pain, having numerous cardboard tubes takes up a lot of space, and storing posters flat is the best way to store them, IMO.  8)

This method is simple, lightweight, works fairly well, and cheap.  I got three, 4' x 8', 3/4" thick foam insulating sheets from Home Depot.  Since most US bus shelters are about 48" x 70", I wanted it to be a few inches wider than the standard size boards, which are 48" wide.  The foam boards I got are nice, as they have tongue and groove ends.  I cut all three boards to about 75", and on the third board, I cut about 4 inches off each side.  Using the tongue and groove on the two end boards boards, I attached them to the full sized boards with tape on both sides, and they're pretty solid sheets, that are about 52"x75".  I quickly sanded the ends that I cut, just so there wasn't a bunch of little foam pieces continually breaking off, as the edges were a little rough after scoring and snapping them.  I used the three top sections of the boards to hold down the posters, and put the large board on top, just because these things unroll so fast after they've been rolled, it makes it a lot easier this way.

The main negative is not being able to easily move it around, so it's really only good for storage, not moving.  With 2 people and several big clamps holding the boards together, it might be possible to move without the posters sliding out the sides.  To deal with any potential pests, I was thinking about getting a mattress bag to put the boards and posters in, and put a dessicant device such as this or old school silica packs, to absorb any moisture from humidity.  However, the logistics of putting this setup in a bag seems difficult, and I've never had any pests here, as they spray this building for pests regularly, so I'll probably not worry about it.

Always cool to see all these posters that have been sitting in tubes.  8)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:04:26 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Storing Bus Shelters, 40x60s, Subways, etc. Flat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
Looks to be a good set-up there, Brandon. Makes things easy to get to, too.  cool1

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »
It makes sense if you want to frame your 40x60in.  If you don't, a good ol' tube is great ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Bumped

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
First time I've seen this thread, but I did the same! A big sandwich made from insulation foam boards. Slides under a bed nicely.