Author Topic: Insects in my Tupperware?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Insects in my Tupperware?
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »
How do you store your folded posters?  I started putting them in plastic bins, laying flat, but am thinking now the weight of them all might flatten out the folds more than necessary? 

Should I stack them in a container vertically ie. file-cabinet style?  Will that put pressure on one side and required rotation?

I also read in another post that plastic sleeves will protect from bugs, is this really a common problem ?  Do you put more than one folded poster per sleeve?  Sorry if this topic has been covered before

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
Re: Insects in my Tupperware?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »
I put about 10 folded US one-sheets per plastic sleeve. Same with other folded material, e.g. Italian 2-sheets. I try to keep them of similar vintage and paper type in the same batch. Ideally I guess I would put each poster in a separate sleeve but that would get very heavy and bulky before soon!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
Thanks. I basically fold 1 sheet sleeves several times over, which is overkill, as there is a lot of plastic left over even when there are 10 posters.  Do they have sleeves for folded posters only? 

On another note, would issues like foxing be aggravated by the plastic sleeve scenario, like having humidity trapped that could never air out?  Maybe i'm just better off Tupperware without sleeves?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:21:51 AM »
Thanks. I basically fold 1 sheet sleeves several times over, which is overkill, as there is a lot of plastic left over even when there are 10 posters.  Do they have sleeves for folded posters only? 

On another note, would issues like foxing be aggravated by the plastic sleeve scenario, like having humidity trapped that could never air out?
  Maybe i'm just better off Tupperware without sleeves?

Do you already have posters that show signs of foxing? If so, sealed in plastic sleeves could further that ... unless both the poster and interior of the sleeve are totally dry. Do you live in a humid climate? Or are your posters kept in a more dry and climate controlled area, if humidity is a problem?

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
Not humid in my basement. I guess i figured that once foxing set in you were screwed unless the poster was cleaned/backed.  I`ll just keep doing what I do.  ALL my posters will probably outlive me anyway!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
I started putting them in plastic bins, laying flat, but am thinking now the weight of them all might flatten out the folds more than necessary?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.

If you want it flat, store them flat, and don't fold again. In that regard, once you go flat you never go back.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:27 PM »
Sorry I mean pancake style (flat one on top of each other) versus stacking them in a bin spooning behind each other (like you would stack file folders in a drawer)
I was wondering if one was better than the other for large numbers of poster in a bin? 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
1. so to illustrate my previous question below, I was asking - when you store folded posters in a plastic bin, do you lie them flat one on top of the other (like this = ) OR do you stack them like this ( lllllll ) in the bin?  Whats better for the posters' edges over the long run?

2. My wife bought a Groupon for my birthday at a local framer.  Of course i will talk to him and make sure the end result is reversible (not permanently glued or mounted) but that said, do folded posters look good framed?  I know most posters are folded, especially older ones... but is it worth spending $$ to frame a folded (un-backed) poster?  Should I not even bother?  

I wanted to frame a nice German A1. If you have any pics of professionanlly framed FOLDED posters pls share...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:33:44 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
There really is no blanket answer on if a folded poster will look good framed: 

First, aesthetics are subjective
Second, it depends on the severity and number of folds
Third, folds can be distracting depending on where they are situated in the artwork especially on a folded "glossy" poster - quite often the folds appear as white lines

I have MANY framed folded posters and I love them as is!
Chris