Author Topic: Foil posters  (Read 7720 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Foil posters
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:25:43 AM »
I would think that the proof is in the name when you are talking foil vs. mylar as well.  With mylar, you are talking about a metallic layer over on a plastic substrate, hence the smooth mirror effect Anthony is talking about.  Foil is simply a metallic layer over paper.  Both contain "foil" but I think the substrate is the key.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
I would think that the proof is in the name when you are talking foil vs. mylar as well.  With mylar, you are talking about a metallic layer over on a plastic substrate, hence the smooth mirror effect Anthony is talking about.  Foil is simply a metallic layer over paper.  Both contain "foil" but I think the substrate is the key.

So it is true...Foil is involved on the gold and silver ones? To be honest Schan,I've never heard anything that made reference to foil being used in the creation of the Kilian material.Or any mylar process, really, other posters,mylar balloons,etc.Thick sheets of Mylar and paint is all I've ever heard.While gold and silver mylar looks metallic, it doesn't look or act anything like foil.When dented or crumpled it acts more like plastic would.Exposed foil on mylar posters would look out of place, and not nearly as reflective.Painting the foil doesn't seem like it would give it the vibrant nature some of these posters have, either, or make much sense...to a person that is unfamiliar with the process like me, anyway.It just seems that if foil is part of the Kilian process,it's more of a base for the the poster itself and doesn't have much to do with it being shiny or reflective.Plus,the paint actually chips off these mylars, sometimes.I would think it be more susceptible to do this if it was painted on mylar than it would if it was painted on foil.

Again,I'm just taking what little I know and best guessing the rest.

Anthony   

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »
The Last Emperor (1987); JP B2, gold foil.

-Jeff