Author Topic: Posters in Tubes  (Read 12230 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Posters in Tubes
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
In the middle of that roll... He rolls them too. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
Where are the lenticulars hiding? :D

In the flat files.  All folded posters and lenticulars go in the flat files.  I have 40 drawers at my disposal.  But not too many lenticulars in them, unfortunately.  A dozen probably.  I don't collect them because, unlike paper, I do not believe in their longevity.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
The same can also be said of Banners too, I have one I was given that had been outside too long and it's as brittle as. It's the one thing about Plastic/vinyl it breaks down under UV light, and goes very brittle. Heat also affects the material, so it seems there is No long term for these kind of posters.

I wouldn't care the brittle one I have is for the last Indy film, it's painted artwork too; But it's starting to fall to bits on it's own (must get a pic before it's gone).
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
All true, Paul.  I also believe lenticulars lose some of their effect and density as time goes by.  Plus, you can eventually notice some separation in the layers.  They are really not meant to last long, which is why I stopped collecting them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
All true, Paul.  I also believe lenticulars lose some of their effect and density as time goes by.  Plus, you can eventually notice some separation in the layers.  They are really not meant to last long, which is why I stopped collecting them.

T

Uh oh Time to vacuum seal my collection.   What do you mean by the density is affected over time? 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
Keep in mind folks that have been dealing since the late 70's and 80s when rolls were sent out in cardboard boxes have probably had them stored that way from 35 years or better with no issue. I have had many boxes stored this way since the late 90's with no issue due to cardboard. I think you probably need 50+ years before cardboard is an issue.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Keep in mind folks that have been dealing since the late 70's and 80s when rolls were sent out in cardboard boxes have probably had them stored that way from 35 years or better with no issue. I have had many boxes stored this way since the late 90's with no issue due to cardboard. I think you probably need 50+ years before cardboard is an issue.

It really depends on the paper stock of the poster.  Of course modern glossies are going to be far more resistant than vintage stuff which was already printed on poor quality acidic paper to begin with...
Chris