Author Topic: Archive-Safe Flat File Care (Rust Removal, Paint, Soap, etc.)  (Read 17116 times)

nebu1ou5

I acquired 2 metal flat files from Craig's List a little while back but have been hesitant to use them for print storage due to their condition.

One is in a noticeably better state than the other. But both are dirty, with small chips of missing paint. The worse of the 2 files has areas of rust in the corners of the drawers.

Based on all of my past research, storing prints via archival methods is a must (which is why I bought metal flat files in the first place). I’m finally ready to take the plunge in order to make these files usable but have several questions before I begin.

• First and foremost—is sharing a drawer with rust hazardous to my paper items (even if they are covered but not sealed and not directly touching the rust)?

• Is there a recommended way of stopping the rust without the risk of harmful out-gassing creating an environment that would be hazardous to my prints?

• What is an archive-safe paint that could be used on my flat files that would not cause harmful out-gassing/would not be physically toxic to my prints? According to Safco, such paints exist as they describe their flat files as having the following properties “Museum/archival quality paint finish ensures that there is no out-gassing and that the atmosphere in the flat files has no acidity or alkalinity (ph) created by the finish” (http://www.thefilestore.com/itemdetail.asp?GroupID=10037)

• What would be an archive-safe soap/cleaner to use on my dirty files/drawers? Based on my own research, I’ve discovered Vulpex Liquid Soap (http://www.ote.ie/vulpex-liquid-soap) (MSDS: http://www.gaylord.com/ad_block/AB7997_VULPEX.pdf). Does anyone have any experience with this product or would there be another product with a higher recommendation?

I really hope I can begin to find some answers. Unfortunately the topic of metal paints/rust products and their effects on paper items is not an easy field to research, as it falls somewhere between object conservation and paper conservation. I have spoken to object conservators who recommend speaking to paper conservators. And I have spoken to paper conservators who simply do not know. Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Archive-Safe Flat File Care (Rust Removal, Paint, Soap, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:19 AM »
if the rust bothers you. pull the drawers out & sand the rusted spots down

you can wash them with just a wet rag and then dry them off with a dry rag

if you go to a local art store of any worth (meaning a store where artists buy supplies) you can buy pressboard sheets that will fit right into teh drawers and you place those on the bottom

I remove the folding unit that holds the posters down on top (if present) and just place another sheet of pressboad in there

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

nebu1ou5

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion seems more like a cover up than an actual fix (which is maybe all that would be needed). I have previously spoken with a frame shop who have performed this very same exercise of lining drawers with board.

I would have to assume however that if the drawers themselves have noticeable flaws, the interiors of the flat files are probably just as bad, if not worse. So it still leads me to wonder if having rust in the vicinity of my paper collection is creating a toxic environment?

Part of me feels like the answers to my questions (or at least a safe paint) exist out there, somewhere.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Just sand it down and hit it with WD40...  No need to paint as long as it is in a dry place. If you inactivate it no 'outgassing' of Hydrogen will occur.  And this may only be worrisome with the older papers that have metals in them.  If you stop the reaction and make it inactive you should be in the clear.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:10:17 AM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
Just keep them in a Shed of the Damned like Ari!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
Smart man
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »
I gotta agree with Rich.Sand em' and paint em'.It is true most paints (and I would imagine WD40) have chemicals that will embed themselves into the paper fibers.Overtime issues might occur.I'd call around to some file dealers and find out what you could use to paint them.If ya can't find a safe paint,at the very least cover the spots with something.I don't know,will acid free tape stick to metal?  Something to keep the rust from flying around and getting into the paper.Lay mylar, poly bag or pressboard down so the poster isn't laying on the rust.Lay a piece of mulberry paper,or something acid free between each poster to keep any rust or dirt from getting on them.

Anthony

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
idefinitely wouldn't go near any contactable surfaces with any oils, like WD40
if yuo use that stuff, you'll have to then use a solvent to clean that off and then water to clean off the solvent

sand'em
paint'em with some spray paint
use'em (but get the grey pressedboard sheets like I do)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:41 AM »
To spray WD-40 (which is oil-based) into (or onto) storage drawers, without thoroughly cleaning and removing the excess wd-40 residue, could risk staining or having it soak into the poster. Think of how oil stains and marks any kind of paper, when it comes in contact.

I'd be more prone to sand the rust areas, then wash and dry the interior drawers, paint them, if desired, or even then, just line them with an acid free paper, and be done with it.

Simple and easy.

:)

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
He also posted on EB...  http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135955&p=2567789&hilit=flat+file#p2567789

I have 7 flat files (35 drawers) now and some have rust. But unless they get left out in the back yard, that rust never really migrates to the tray area.  I wonder what he means by in the corners of the drawers.  It is probably where the metals meet and moisture could penetrate.  If you clean those up and deactivate it with some WD40 it should be fine.  Of course you want to clean up any overspray.  But by it's nature WD40 is a penetrant and anti-corrosion substance.  It's only a mild lubricant and actually has solvent in it.  It will dry out leaving the the corrosion protection, inactivating the rust.  I wouldn't have any issues using it in the corners of my drawers if the overspray was cleaned up well - as suggested.  Now if the tray had large areas of rust, I would just pitch it.  I attempted to spray paint a top w/o rust and it never really cured and would leave bits of black on my magnets...  I eventually covered it in paper.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
And depending on a color desired, one could also sand away the rust spots and then spray with Rustoleum.

Rustoleum even makes a clear, sealer type of spray coat (if one wanted to use that on the inner drawers).

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/crystal-clear-enamel/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:55:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
I'm not sure what Charlie is thinking here, I would Never use WD40 anywhere I was going to put paper. WD does not completely VAP off, which is why it slows down rust, due to the oils it contains. It also would mix with the rust particles and stain the paper if it came in contact.

Sanding, and a sealer of some kind is the only way to do this, but be aware  some paints even after drying could still rub off on paper if pressed hard enough in to it.  Wooden Chests are the best way to go to be safe, or as Rich says, have the steel ones lined.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
That's why Rustoleum spray paint would be a great choice for something like this. Made to beautify as well as protect metal from rust, items such as chairs, benches, and tables, can be left outside without much concern.

And once thoroughly dry, Rustoleum would not transfer onto paper. (Or there would have a real problem with people sitting on painted metal chairs and benches, if there was ever a concern of Rustoleum rubbing off onto their clothing).  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:34:41 AM »
Ever notice how Metal Chairs that are painted, the paint eventually disappears over time where people sit on them...
It's more than a Hobby...