Author Topic: Framing Daybill Questions  (Read 8254 times)

boxofficebrian

Framing Daybill Questions
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi all...

I just picked up some Daybills and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I'm curious about framing... I was thinking I would have them all custom framed to match a Star Wars OS I have hanging in my home theater.

If I do that- ideally, I'd love to have them all matted. If I'm matting, can I use glass? or should I still do Plexi- though the matt is going to provide a buffer?

Also, the daybills are in NM condition... do I need to have them linen backed or will the folds be difficult to see if they are framed?

Thanks!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Framing Daybill Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
Hi all...

I just picked up some Daybills and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I'm curious about framing... I was thinking I would have them all custom framed to match a Star Wars OS I have hanging in my home theater.

If I do that- ideally, I'd love to have them all matted. If I'm matting, can I use glass? or should I still do Plexi- though the matt is going to provide a buffer?

Also, the daybills are in NM condition... do I need to have them linen backed or will the folds be difficult to see if they are framed?

Thanks!

Congrats on the new pick ups, Brian. Can I ask what the titles are? Or are those to be a later surprise?  ;)  As far as material for fronting your frames, I think you will find the most will say to use plexi, as it doesnt hold heat like glass does, and, is less likely to cause damage to your poster, on the off chance a frame should be dropped or fall off the wall (no sharp shards to cut into the paper).

As far as linen backing, and with you saying they are "NM", aside from them being folded.. framing will lessen the appearance to a degree. But at the end of the day, it's all about how you want them to look (will seeing any fold lines bother you? Or preferring to have those folds greatly diminished with backing).

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
Congrats on the new pick ups, Brian. Can I ask what the titles are? Or are those to be a later surprise?  ;)  As far as material for fronting your frames, I think you will find the most will say to use plexi, as it doesnt hold heat like glass does, and, is less likely to cause damage to your poster, on the off chance a frame should be dropped or fall off the wall (no sharp shards to cut into the paper).

As far as linen backing, and with you saying they are "NM", aside from them being folded.. framing will lessen the appearance to a degree. But at the end of the day, it's all about how you want them to look (will seeing any fold lines bother you? Or preferring to have those folds greatly diminished with backing).

Thanks so much!

I'd prefer to wait and do a reveal once I have the pieces up on my walls. :)  (but they are fairly modern- so nothing crazy-just movies I enjoy.)

I will def. stick to the plexi...it's just more expensive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for the folds...with these going in my home theater and seeing them everyday.. I think they would drive me up a wall...(I'd be so different if they were older pieces were I like them to show their age.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »

Thanks so much!

I'd prefer to wait and do a reveal once I have the pieces up on my walls.  :) (but they are fairly modern- so nothing crazy-just movies I enjoy.)

I will def. stick to the plexi...it's just more expensive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for the folds...with these going in my home theater and seeing them everyday.. I think they would drive me up a wall...(I'd be so different if they were older pieces were I like them to show their age.

Surprise reveals are always a pleasure to wait for. A bit like Xmas morning.  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:42:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
Does anyone happen to have a framed daybill that is linen backed/ or non linen backed? If so, would you mind snapping some up close photos and sharing on this thread? Then I could see how severe folds look in each instance etc...

I'm really curious the difference and if I can see it maybe it will help me make the choice.

Thanks in advance if you are kind enough to accomodate this :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
Does anyone happen to have a framed daybill that is linen backed/ or non linen backed? If so, would you mind snapping some up close photos and sharing on this thread? Then I could see how severe folds look in each instance etc...

I'm really curious the difference and if I can see it maybe it will help me make the choice.

Thanks in advance if you are kind enough to accomodate this :)

It's really going to depend on each individual poster.  Some will have virtually invisible folds whether backed or not.  Some restorers are much better at working out the folds
during the backing than others...

And of course if you pick up newer, glossier daybills the folds are going to be way more noticeable generally.

That said, the folds on older daybills due tend to relax out over time if laid flat owing to the paper used.
Chris

boxofficebrian

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
Hmmmm... I was hoping to do a big reveal once I had them all framed... but I picked up Raiders, Temple (Jungle art) and Last Crusade.

Do those classify as newer? Will the folds be way more noticeable?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Hmmmm... I was hoping to do a big reveal once I had them all framed... but I picked up Raiders, Temple (Jungle art) and Last Crusade.

Nice pickups!  It depends on their present condition mainly.  If they are soft folds (i.e. have not been unfolded and refolded multiple times) the artwork is less
likely to have a whitish line across it.  This is what happens on newer, glossier folded posters.

I have a Raiders daybill framed and I do not notice the folds.  But then again I don't "look" for them either.  And I have ZERO problems with folds anyways.

It comes down to personal opinion/choice.  To me folds are not distracting so long as they are in the normal pattern for whatever poster style it is.  Also, in my experience,
sometimes glossier posters do not linenback so well!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »

Nice pickups!!  clap

And Brian.. how much the fold lines "stand out"-- meaning, do they bother you (or not), is also so very subjective, and a personal call . It's a tricky query.

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
Thanks fellas... I think once I have these in my hands it will be a lot easier for me to get a grip on what direction to go. I've just been so excited! They're coming from Australia and I should have them in hand in a week or two.

I definitely want to custom frame the three with black frames and black mats and hang them over my TV (ala Chris)

Now that I know about Daybills, I am HOOKED! They are reasonably priced, great artwork and don't take up a ton of space... my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm though LOL

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »

They are reasonably priced, great artwork and don't take up a ton of space... my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm though LOL

Your wife has the skinny...  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »

Your wife has the skinny...  ;)

Your wife is just like most everyone elses! 
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »
Thanks fellas... I think once I have these in my hands it will be a lot easier for me to get a grip on what direction to go. I've just been so excited! They're coming from Australia and I should have them in hand in a week or two.

I definitely want to custom frame the three with black frames and black mats and hang them over my TV (ala Chris)

Now that I know about Daybills, I am HOOKED! They are reasonably priced, great artwork and don't take up a ton of space... my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm though LOL

Daybills rule.  It's a potent bug to catch so watch out!  Look forward to seeing them framed and enjoyed as they should be.
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »
Daybills take one back to one's childhood, right Chris?

cheers

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
Daybills take one back to one's childhood, right Chris?

cheers

Maybe if I were a Chinese child labourer  :-*
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:05 PM »
Maybe if I were a Chinese child labourer  :-*

Railroad tie polishing or laundry folding work was fun (and stable, methinks).

wynk

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:31 PM »
Railroad tie polishing or laundry folding work was fun (and stable, methinks).

wynk

Beyond drawing daybills all we could do was stuff fortune cookies
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:45 PM »
Beyond drawing daybills all we could do was stuff fortune cookies

Hand writing the fortunes on those small slips of white paper was a noble task.

-Jeff