Author Topic: Yet Another Forum?  (Read 196664 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Yet Another Forum?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
To be fair nsfge gave it's fair share towards mpf early on. Not against APF though. But the anti mpf was retaliation. Not that it really matters.

Exactly.  I don't think we (Holiday and I) will ever complain about a new forum being created or criticize it.  Why should we?  The way I see it, if it's good for the hobby, it's good for us.  MPF, on the other hand, with its zillion adds, is not good for the hobby.  It is not even a forum anymore, just Peanut's very own cash machine.

And as far as closing this forum down goes, I don't think I have ever threatened to do it.  Maybe I'm forgetful, but I don't recall.  I like APF and have never seen a reason to let it go.  Holiday, on the other hand, stopped having fun due to the constant bickering (I don't blame him!) and curbed his participation drastically.  He was not happy with it and suggested we close it down.  We're partners in crime, we truly respect each other's opinion, and it takes two to agree.  Holiday meant it, so I suggested to just get rid of the guilty parties, ban members (which, btw, is 110% contrary to our initial intent, but at this point we had no choice.)  Charlie got caught in the moment but was never our main focus.  Since then, it seems the forum has matured and its members are more respectful of one another.  I hope it can remain that way, if only to make my partner happy.

T
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:46:18 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »

Does an upper crusty accent have more pull?   ;D

I think he means Deep North Yorkshire twang Jeff.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:46:59 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2014, 02:11:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Charlie.  I can see why H was making comments about shutting down this joint, as there were still a lot of off-color remarks being made, after he had mentioned several times that he didn't want at this place.  Regardless of our differences in how we react to things, I hope everything at the VPF goes well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:12:53 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
Why is everyone concerned about getting others interested in the hobby? As I've said before, collecting posters is a solitary hobby, it's not a team event. I don't care weather there's 1 or 1000 collectors out there, if it was only me would I stop...No, I enjoy what I do, but I don't do it for anyone but myself.

Now, if others you meet are like minded, so be it. Weather it's on a forum or in life. It's nice to have a conversation about posters with them and maybe make a few friends along the way, but this constant, "we need new blood" sounds like something a dealer would say, or are you all bothered about about not being able to sell your stuff when the time comes....?  Me I've never bought for gain, and care less if I get nothing when that time comes.
Enjoying your hoard much?

That part about selling is dead wrong.  

I am talking about the overall health of a forum to be able to maintain enough engagement to keep the conversation going.  Since some people drift away (usually older or in busier life stages) , it is imperative that new blood (usually younger and/or hobby noobie) be drawn in over time.  Otherwise, you end up with three dudes jerkin in a circle...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:27:31 PM by archie leach »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
Why is everyone concerned about getting others interested in the hobby? As I've said before, collecting posters is a solitary hobby, it's not a team event. I don't care weather there's 1 or 1000 collectors out there, if it was only me would I stop...No, I enjoy what I do, but I don't do it for anyone but myself.

Now, if others you meet are like minded, so be it. Weather it's on a forum or in life. It's nice to have a conversation about posters with them and maybe make a few friends along the way, but this constant, "we need new blood" sounds like something a dealer would say, or are you all bothered about about not being able to sell your stuff when the time comes....?  Me I've never bought for gain, and care less if I get nothing when that time comes.

I also don't care weather these so called "high end collectors" join or not. I collected for 48 years before joining here, and managed fine without them, why should I be bothered now?

PW, part of the reason why many people would like to see new members is because it's refreshing to see new people around places, and for the reasons Archie mentioned.  Some people are content with a little group, with the same few people hanging out indefinitely, while others would appreciate some new personalities to bring a fresh breath of air.

If you feeling so strongly that this is a solitary hobby, then why are you on a forum with a bunch of other people?

Although you may not care about the "high end collectors" joining, I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate seeing them, as well as other new people, around here.  Many of your comments have been about "I don't care if they join" and "I don't care if I offend people with offensive remarks."  Frankly, it's getting old.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:33:50 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
+1. It is not about the money. Enthusiam for the hobby is important too. £1 poster or 10K.

Incidentally, most of the under 20s-30s  i know have the latest MACs, ipdas, playstations, XBox, .. you name it.. so you bet they can afford a poster or two.

I am not familiar with nsfge Ari  but will have a look if I may :)

If you do, make sure to create an account to get rid of the now insanely annoying ads.  Also, there is a lot of good stuff buried in the  archives, which can be hard to search.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
The idea of a new forum, or even my comment about "fresh blood" is not dealer inspired, or anything of the like. It has to do with fresh commentary, fresh points of view, rather than the same 20 people always opining. Like anything, that could get stagnant and will not keep things perking along, to a great degree.

People come, people go. So... as some leave, it only makes sense that other collectors feel like they can come and play. It isn't about getting others interested in the hobby. It's about those that are already interested and collecting that should feel free to join, whether it be here or any other poster forum.

And many help others with tips, leads, links, the name(s) of a seller that may have something that someone is looking for... so in that sense, it is a bit of a "team sport" (the grape vine idea).

Sure, there are those that hunt and scour completely alone, but I'm sure even the most solitary of collectors have their sellers or "connections" that they have dealt with for years who will call or email, to let them know they may have something that collector may be interested in.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »

I think he means Deep North Yorkshire twang Jeff.. ;)

That's it - just like verbal velvet
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
Otherwise, you end up with three dudes jerkin in a circle...

Is that VPF's alternate name?
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »

Hope no one posts a gif...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
I am talking about the overall health of a forum to be able to maintain enough engagement to keep the conversation going.  Since some people drift away (usually older or in busier life stages) , it is imperative that new blood (usually younger and/or hobby noobie) be drawn in over time.  Otherwise, you end up with three dudes jerkin in a circle...

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »

No aspersions cast.  It's just that three dudes jerkin makes a circle, two dudes jerkin is what started this kerfuffle...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
some of what's written here is wrong thinking

the more forums, the better a chance someone will stumble upon them.
when you go to a party, does everyone stand in one large circle or do they break off into smaller groups to chat?

many of you never go to a number of forums out there, but they are very busy, like Classic Horror Film Board for instance

one forum does not siphon from the other. They all compliment each other.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
No aspersions cast.  It's just that three dudes jerkin makes a circle, two dudes jerkin is what started this kerfuffle...

Either or, it doesn't really matter why, the world won't come to an end and us three 'jerks' are doing something, having a blast and yes we have gotten matching tats, although Matt said something about matchn Alfreds? Guess I will need to ask Mel about that... :D

We're looking at ways of attracting new people not just the existing people to our site and the hobby as a whole, some people embrace change other do not, some people sit on the sidelines and wave flags, others throw tomatoes. You don't attrack new people by just talking to the old people - http://goo.gl/vUJ8JZ

It's simply an exercise in options not futility.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:19:39 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Either or, it doesn't really matter why, the world won't come to an end and us three 'jerks' are doing something, having a blast and yes we have gotten matching tats, although Matt said something about matchn Alfreds? Guess I will need to ask Mel about that... :D

We're looking at ways of attracting new people not just the existing people to our site and the hobby as a whole, some people embrace change other do not, some people sit on the sidelines and wave flags, others throw tomatoes. You don't attrack new people by just talking to the old people - http://goo.gl/vUJ8JZ

It's simply an exercise in options not futility.

To add to what David said.   We have some internal goals - like pulling in new members from other sources.  We've fully integrated social media... One effort.  This will be good for all of us, guys...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

I was just trying to point out that my word choice had no relation to VMT or it's owners...

I haven't signed up because I am not a big fan of the layout and I don't feel like looking into another forum on a regular basis - heck, I haven't looked at MOPO in months, if not years.

Like I said before, if you can bring something new to the table then great, good for you and everyone else.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
I do hope and expect H&T will consider a name change when the .forum domains open up. The "all"poster name had good intentions but has not worked out. We need a forum with "film" or "movie" in it.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
I do hope and expect H&T will consider a name change when the .forum domains open up. The "all"poster name had good intentions but has not worked out. We need a forum with "film" or "movie" in it.

You're no Spock.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
If you do, make sure to create an account to get rid of the now insanely annoying ads.  Also, there is a lot of good stuff buried in the  archives, which can be hard to search.

Try and find the FIGHT CLUB thread. It's a good example of how strong the women in our hobby are.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
Try and find the FIGHT CLUB thread. It's a good example of how strong the women in our hobby are.

Like a bunch of Ellen Ripleys who likes posters
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
Like a bunch of Ellen Ripleys who likes posters

I read it... That one girl even posted a picture of her ass to moon the others... 

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
was it Rita aka MRSBIGFATASS? She is missed. Or could have been Susan who sadly left us.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
was it Rita aka MRSBIGFATASS? She is missed. Or could have been Susan who sadly left us.

MRSBIGFATASS  - Funny stuff and her avatar rocks...

http://stylec.yuku.com/sreply/4494/The-REAL-no-holds-barredFIGHT-CLUB-can-you-take-it

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Yeah she was great. Missed, but she is busy feeding hundreds of homeless out of her kitchen. Some things more important than posters. Wish she would drop by for a hello though.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
Me too,Ari.Rita is one of a kind!