Author Topic: Yet Another Forum?  (Read 195731 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Yet Another Forum?
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
My user name is IKICKARGENTINIANARSE4FUN.

If that's you who is IKISSARGENTINIANARSE4FUN?!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
Re Mel's comment about age and disposable income. True to a point but exaggerated. We won't have people who struggle to eat collecting. But I you can afford a mobile phone and internet you can afford collecting posters. I haven't had a job for more than a few weeks in the last 4 years. I don't buy much i admit. I've never had much money even when working. To be a collector doesn't mean five star posters. Many of us are happy with $10 posters or less. In fact selling these kind of items is my bread and butter. There's plenty of people who buy them and nothing wrong with it (actually makes more sense to me than spending hundreds or thousands on a pretty bit I paper)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »
To be honest this whole dilution of the hobby theory doesn't make sense and I don't know why it continues to be raised, does it really matter how many people are collectors on what forum and for that matter where and with whom they share their enjoyment of collecting? Ours (and this) is not a retail shop that needs to turnover a certain amount or a club where membership fees are collected to help it survive.

When Holiday and I created APF, we told ourselves that even if only a dozen people join we'll be happy.  Since we've never gone out of our way to advertize APF (because membership is not our focus), we never expected to have as many members as we do now.  If we end up with less because of the new forum, that's cool.  We have been clear from the beginning, stay, leave, come back, leave again, whatever you want to do is fine with us.  Like David said, we're not selling ads, we're not making any money, Holiday and I are paying for this joint.  We just want people to have a good time.  If you're not, try to find what you're looking for somewhere else and enjoy yourself. 

That's what having a hobby is all about.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 11:43:25 PM »
Re Mel's comment about age and disposable income. True to a point but exaggerated. We won't have people who struggle to eat collecting. But I you can afford a mobile phone and internet you can afford collecting posters. I haven't had a job for more than a few weeks in the last 4 years. I don't buy much i admit. I've never had much money even when working. To be a collector doesn't mean five star posters. Many of us are happy with $10 posters or less. In fact selling these kind of items is my bread and butter. There's plenty of people who buy them and nothing wrong with it (actually makes more sense to me than spending hundreds or thousands on a pretty bit I paper)

And yes, I would agree with that.  It doesn't matter if you collect $1 posters or $1,000 posters.  You're a collector all the same and can enjoy your collection equally. 
T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
When Holiday and I created APF, we told ourselves that even if only a dozen people join we'll be happy.  Since we've never gone out of our way to advertize APF (because membership is not our focus), we never expected to have as many members as we do now.  If we end up with less because of the new forum, that's cool.  We have been clear from the beginning, stay, leave, come back, leave again, whatever you want to do is fine with us.  Like David said, we're not selling ads, we're not making any money, Holiday and I are paying for this joint.  We just want people to have a good time.  If you're not, try to find what you're looking for somewhere else and enjoy yourself. 

That's what having a hobby is all about.

Right on, T. If this or any hobby becomes a pain in the ass or stressful, then why bother with it.

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 11:49:21 PM »
My user name is IKICKARGENTINIANARSE4FUN.

;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Not sure this hobby could or should attract the sub-35 crowd.  It's really a hobby for middle-aged people with plenty of disposable income.  "Younger" people should be paying off student loans, saving for down payments for houses, weddings, travel, etc. 

I was dying to comment on this...  I've been collecting for 18 years and I am still in the sub-35 crowd...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 12:46:48 AM »
Personally, I don't see the need for David's (and Charlie and Matt's?) forum.  However, if that's how they want to approach the whole scenario, then that's their prerogative, of course.

Damn.  All that quality time meant nothing... No worries.  We don't really care if anyone joins...  I mean we care... But I don't think we have any expectations...  Like T and H always put forth - do what you want. 

I have a feeling I am going to get to know Matt and David real well - so there is value in that... Even if all else fails.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »

I have a feeling I am going to get to know Matt and David real well - so there is value in that... Even if all else fails.

You guys should consider matching tattoos
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:08 AM »
You lost me there, Charlie.  I had just assumed that you'd return here, and didn't think about y'all being primarily at the new place.  In the big game of life, I just try to keep things as simple as possible, such as primarily going to this place to chat with like-minded folks.  It's kinda like how I could go to LS1Tech.com and LS1.com, but I generally don't go to the latter.

I'd probably have to sit down and think about it for a few hours to understand why you guys started the VPF.  Would you mind explaining the main reason(s) to start up the new forum?

Good to see you've returned here, and I hope everything goes well with the VPF.

cheers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:06:26 AM by NeoLoco »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »
In the US 25-34yo men earn an average of $38,000 total income per year but the 35+ crowd earns 30% more ($50,000 average).  That extra $1,000 a month makes all the difference:

Source: http://www.bls.gov/cps/earnings.htm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:44:34 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 06:13:27 AM »
It doesn't matter if you collect $1 posters or $1,000 posters.  You're a collector all the same and can enjoy your collection equally. 
T

and that folks, is very much the point!
 sm1 sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
In the US 25-34yo men earn an average of $38,000 total income per year but the 35+ crowd earns 30% more ($50,000 average).  That extra $1,000 a month makes all the difference:

Source: http://www.bls.gov/cps/earnings.htm

Still not the point.
I'm 40 and have lived off (and managed to collect posters) at a little over $15k (Aussie) a year for the last 4 years, and half of that $ goes to child support.

If I was richer id probably buy more and there's a few more expensive things id get but I doubt id enjoy collecting or my collection any more than I do. In fact if money was no issue it would possibly be less exciting when something does show up in the mail.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »
An issue I have with splitting off too many forums, besides the ones mentioned.

These forums always seem to either get competitive, or doing snide little attacks against each other.  Exception NSFGE.  Congrats, Ari.  Feel free to spin a new one off, but please try to refrain from posts about how yours is better, or how the other one just did something cheesy.  It just makes you look cheap and petty.

BTW, that was a general remark, and not aimed at any individual or particular site.  Also, the dealers should probably consider that as well.  Frankly, my opinion of the auction sites in general has been tarnished by this bickering (and I am not choosing sides)
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
To be fair nsfge gave it's fair share towards mpf early on. Not against APF though. But the anti mpf was retaliation. Not that it really matters.
An Error Has Occurred!

Mirosae

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
It doesn't matter if you collect $1 posters or $1,000 posters.  You're a collector all the same and can enjoy your collection equally. 
T

+1. It is not about the money. Enthusiam for the hobby is important too. £1 poster or 10K.

Incidentally, most of the under 20s-30s  i know have the latest MACs, ipdas, playstations, XBox, .. you name it.. so you bet they can afford a poster or two.

I am not familiar with nsfge Ari  but will have a look if I may :)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

These forums always seem to either get competitive, or doing snide little attacks against each other.  Exception NSFGE.  Congrats, Ari.  Feel free to spin a new one off, but please try to refrain from posts about how yours is better, or how the other one just did something cheesy.  It just makes you look cheap and petty.

BTW, that was a general remark, and not aimed at any individual or particular site.  Also, the dealers should probably consider that as well.  Frankly, my opinion of the auction sites in general has been tarnished by this bickering (and I am not choosing sides)

I have found a deep respect for Holiday over the past week and will make it a personal mission to keep this from happening at the new place.  I just hope you guys can afford the same respect for the decision to split.  We are all still one community, we've just decided to test out a new water cooler to stand around and see how it goes.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
Would you mind explaining the main reason(s) to start up the new forum?

With all due respect to H and T. For me personally, it all had to do with the constant threats to shut down APF... And being told not to participate if I didn't like the situation.  I was on APF everyday. I think I averaged 4.6 or something posts per day...  The forum had become part of my everyday life going on 3 years... When the landlord of the house your living in threatens to burn the house down, you start thinking there may be a better place to live.  When he tells you if you don't like it leave or not to come home if you don't like that fact, it only further confirms the urgency to find a better place.

One of the reasons I pushed Holiday was because the threats all seemed more of a measure than a reality.  Burn your own house down?  I won't dare assume to know what either would actually do or will do.  But I know now I am in a position to make this threat, but won't because I know that some of us really love this community - not just a site or forum.  The people we converse with and share with.  Sure we don't all know each other from Adam.  We are not the text book definition of 'friends', but I care for people here/there even if I haven't shaken your hand or seen your face...

But I needed a place to to meet, one with a solid foundation.  Do we technically need a new forum?  No.

I can't speak for the other two knuckle heads...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:32:14 AM by Charlie »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
With all due respect to H and T. For me personally, it all had to do with the constant threats to shut down APF... And being told not to participate if I didn't like the situation.  I was on APF everyday. I think I averaged 4.6 or something posts per day...  The forum had become part of my everyday life going on 3 years... When the landlord of the house your living in threatens to burn the house down, you start thinking there may be a better place to live.  When he tells you if you don't like it leave or not to come home if you don't like that fact, it only further confirms the urgency to find a better place.

One of the reasons I pushed Holiday was because the threats all seemed more of a measure than a reality.  Burn your own house down?  I won't dare assume to know what either would actually do or will do.  But I know now I am in a position to make this threat, but won't because I know that some of us really love this community - not just a site or forum.  The people we converse with and share with.  Sure we don't all know each other from Adam.  We are not the text book definition of 'friends', but I care for people here/there even if I haven't shaken your hand or seen your face...

But I needed a place to to meet, one with a solid foundation.  Do we technically need a new forum?  No.

I can't speak for the other two knuckle heads...

clap  Very well put.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
T

Bingo!  That sounds like a fundamental truth.

As for having other forums, while I have never registered at ns4, I read it often. There is a lot of great info in there.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

This point is also well made, too, jay and should be heeded.  clap

When members beging to say how their version is more expensive, "far superior," "yours is inferior", or claiming something they own is so much more rare or scarce (without knowing for sure), it then becomes a real "pissing contest." And that, too, doesnt help to promote this or any hobby, when new members feel like they may not be able to measure up or "compete." Not only does it make the ones saying it look petty, as jay said, it often keeps other members from wanting to post or participate.

Some may then feel more safe and comfortable in the shadows; "lurker see, lurker do," which is them being nothing more than being an outside observer. And fresh thoughts, 'new blood,' and other points of view are vital to any (hobby) related forum. Otherwise, they are sure to wither and die.

Just me two cents.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Of course collectors of all ages should be welcomed. I began collecting movie posters as a student working part-time in an independent and crazy cinema. I would do things I wouldn't have the nerve to do now like periodically walking into a Wardour Street film production/distribution office and blagging posters/press packs by saying I was writing a review for the university newspaper. It didn't seem to matter whether the staff believed me or not - I always walked out with something.  I never paid anything for my posters. I would not have re-kindled my interest years later with the first Christies sale in London had I not had these earlier experiences and memories.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
Why is everyone concerned about getting others interested in the hobby? As I've said before, collecting posters is a solitary hobby, it's not a team event. I don't care weather there's 1 or 1000 collectors out there, if it was only me would I stop...No, I enjoy what I do, but I don't do it for anyone but myself.

Now, if others you meet are like minded, so be it. Weather it's on a forum or in life. It's nice to have a conversation about posters with them and maybe make a few friends along the way, but this constant, "we need new blood" sounds like something a dealer would say, or are you all bothered about about not being able to sell your stuff when the time comes....?  Me I've never bought for gain, and care less if I get nothing when that time comes.

I also don't care weather these so called "high end collectors" join or not. I collected for 48 years before joining here, and managed fine without them, why should I be bothered now?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 01:38:22 PM »
Why is everyone concerned about getting others interested in the hobby? As I've said before, collecting posters is a solitary hobby, it's not a team event. I don't care weather there's 1 or 1000 collectors out there, if it was only me would I stop...No, I enjoy what I do, but I don't do it for anyone but myself.

Now, if others you meet are like minded, so be it. Weather it's on a forum or in life. It's nice to have a conversation about posters with them and maybe make a few friends along the way, but this constant, "we need new blood" sounds like something a dealer would say, or are you all bothered about about not being able to sell your stuff when the time comes....?  Me I've never bought for gain, and care less if I get nothing when that time comes.

I also don't care weather these so called "high end collectors" join or not. I collected for 48 years before joining here, and managed fine without them, why should I be bothered now?

Listen to Paul (even through his - assumed - highly cultured, uppercrust accent)!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
Does an upper crusty accent have more pull?   ;D

-Jeff