Author Topic: Yet Another Forum?  (Read 194716 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Yet Another Forum?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 04:07:50 AM »
I personally have enough with one forum.  I don't go to Mopo or NS4.  Not because I don't want to, both are fine forums and I'm sure the new one will be too, but simply because I don't have time.  I love collecting posters, but there are other things I want to do with my free time than jump from one forum to the next to pretty much get the same info.

T

Probably my thoughts at this stage. I do read mopo but lately very rarely.
My lack of enthusiasm I am sure is part of the reason NSF has slowed so much.

In the end, I like chatting with friends, and there's really not too often it's poster related that interests me these days. It's the other stuff I like most.

So if I don't join it's not sour grapes, it's just laziness and because I mainly do other things these days.
But maybe I will. I had a look and looks fresh and clean.

Anyway,what would be really good is if you can get members who are not on the other forums, there's a challenge for you guys. Tom P would be a good start ;)

Have fun.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »
They already have a post with boobs, eliminating the Tom P. option...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:44 AM »

Anyway,what would be really good is if you can get members who are not on the other forums, there's a challenge for you guys. Tom P would be a good start ;)

Indeed, along with a smattering of others that would be ideal - in fact that has happened so word has got out I guess.
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »
They already have a post with boobs, eliminating the Tom P. option...

Shot yourself there preverts ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
You miss-read, I didn't say steal I said import - besides one cannot import from a database without the other's permission.

All it means is if another forum was about to fold this software could import that data so history would not be lost, nothing more sinister than that.

"If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical readout of this station forum, it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it!"

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
Personally, I don't see the need for David's (and Charlie and Matt's?) forum.  However, if that's how they want to approach the whole scenario, then that's their prerogative, of course.

I tend to agree with Mel, and the potential of having one unified site.  Look at ExpressoBeans, how it is the epicenter of all print stuff, and there is a lot of good from that, such as the huge number of regular members, databases, etc., that others have mentioned.  I'm a fan of the ease to browse and other features of this joint, so I'd say this place has a good potential to be that unified site.  Maybe the only thing holding it back is the software, that is not as advanced compared to a site such as ExpressoBeans, but I'm sure it could be integrated into a site like that.

Similar to T, I don't feel like participating across several forums of similar interest, so for the time being, I'll pass on joining David's new site.  Also, some sites are easy for me to browse through, and I didn't get that vibe from my brief visit at David's site.  It's a personal preference thing, kinda like how Twitter has similar content to Facebook, but I hate Twitter, and only see myself ever going to and participating on Facebook.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:08:36 PM by NeoLoco »

Mirosae

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
I've got the invite too... I feel special  ;)

I can't keep up with this one so being part of other forums will be pretty tricky for me. That said...

I dont think it is a big issue, in fact, it is like having more than one bar or pub to go and mingle.. Not a biggie if there are other forums... my 2 pounds and 1 pence

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
I dont think it is a big issue, in fact, it is like having more than one bar or pub to go and mingle.. Not a biggie if there are other forums... my 2 pounds and 1 pence

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »
Someone please build such a forum so Mel can

Actually, somebody already has build the database:

www.posterguide.org

Arsim has probably spent a bazillion hours on that database. You can "check the box" for all your posters, no need to create your own website to show off your posters.  Here's just a sample with a few of mine:

https://www.posterguide.org/browseposter.php?browse=15&id=32

Combine it with APF and the authentication websites (including MPC's) and you have the uber-mega-website this hobby needs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:51:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
I looked into it several years ago.  I tried to contact the expressobeans folks about possibly using a modified version of their site software, but they never responded.

Also, looked at trying to set up something more akin to a wiki-database system, but didn't have the time/money/etc. to get something put together...

To bad, because the dilution of engagement of these forums is detrimental to the continued health of the hobby, particularly in drawing new (younger) members.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
I looked into it several years ago.  I tried to contact the expressobeans folks about possibly using a modified version of their site software, but they never responded.

Also, looked at trying to set up something more akin to a wiki-database system, but didn't have the time/money/etc. to get something put together...

To bad, because the dilution of engagement of these forums is detrimental to the continued health of the hobby, particularly in drawing new (younger) members.

Agree, agree, agree.

Bottom sentence in bold can not be stated enough.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

Not sure this hobby could or should attract the sub-35 crowd.  It's really a hobby for middle-aged people with plenty of disposable income.  "Younger" people should be paying off student loans, saving for down payments for houses, weddings, travel, etc. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
I started in my early 20s. I know several other folks in their 20s through 30s and into early 40s that have a pretty great collection but have no interest in forums.

Careful not to generalize here...

I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
I started in my early 20s. I know several other folks in their 20s through 30s and into early 40s that have a pretty great collection but have no interest in forums.

Careful not to generalize here...

Just saying that the 21-34 crowd generally can't afford to be in this hobby and are probably better off spending their time and money on other stuff. The average price of the posters last night at EMP was $300. The college student who works the front desk downstairs and I chat about the Mondo posters sometimes and $75 for the latest print is a lot of money to him.  The average student loan debt after college is $29,000 now.  (I walked out of law school with $200,000 debt and interest (in current dollars), which took me 15 years to pay off, so I know the feeling.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:12:11 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »
Just saying that the 21-34 crowd generally can't afford to be in this hobby and are probably better off spending their time and money on other stuff. The average price of the posters last night at EMP was $300. The college student who works the front desk downstairs and I chat about the Mondo posters sometimes and $75 for the latest print is a lot of money to him. 

Gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense as well.

This is why college kids make nice poster mules for Mondo gallery shows.  They don't mind standing in line for a little bit of lettuce.  ;)

I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
Younger folks may not be able (or necessarily want) the $100+ posters... and certainly there is PLENTY of the more modern stuff that is very affordable (and that may be wanted by people, of ANY age), as well as material from earlier decades that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

As long as people buy what they like, and can afford, there is no reason that someone in their 20s cannot start to buy and collect posters from movies they might like. Then work upward, if they want to.

Everyone has to begin somewhere so age should not be a determining factor. I picked up OS when I was in my 20s from a place I worked. No one wanted them and it was either they go home with me, or end up in the trash can. Even tho some were for just OK films, I liked some of the art and didnt want to see them trashed.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:32:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »
Can I just say to some of the comments and out of respect to my partners in crime that you don't refer to it as David's site, there are three of us and we all started this as equals we operate it the same way, just as no one calls this site Holiday's or Thierry's; you can certainly call us any name you want if that's makes you happy, but it's not my site.

There are a lot of 'gunnas' in this world a whole lot less 'doers', we've put our 'time & money' where our mouths are; I've said it before and I say it again, we're not trying to prove some 'holier than thou' point and at the end of the day we are having a lot of fun at the moment and that's what counts for us.

To be honest this whole dilution of the hobby theory doesn't make sense and I don't know why it continues to be raised, does it really matter how many people are collectors on what forum and for that matter where and with whom they share their enjoyment of collecting? Ours (and this) is not a retail shop that needs to turnover a certain amount or a club where membership fees are collected to help it survive.

Sure, we may go down in a firey heap and then some of you will likely do the 'told you so' but if we go down it will be at that stage I will ask you to blame Matt...he's from Melbourne.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:26:28 PM by Silhouette »
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Sure, we may go down in a firey heap and then some of you will likely do the 'told you so' ....

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the invite Charlie.I'm pretty forum overloaded,nowadays,but I might give it a go down the road.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
Sadly I need to reiterate that we never said nor ever would intend to steal this forum's (or any other) content/posts (nor could we actually do that without admin access and approval);

Seems someone's rash comment earlier has hit the ears of others who (understandably) are upset at that suggestion and may have missed my correction of that persons missquote.

David

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »

So true.All anyone has to do is look at MOPO,MPF and NS4.Most members of these forums quit posting long ago.We're all here now ,engaging in the hobby, but ten years from now some of us won't be.New, younger, collectors are needed to keep the hobby going.Yeah, twenty, thirty year olds can't go crazy buying posters ,but there is some stuff they can buy.Just getting to know the hobby is important....they can completely dive in at a later age.

Anthony

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »

My lack of enthusiasm I am sure is part of the reason NSF has slowed so much.

You are at NSF? What's your username?  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
My user name is IKICKARGENTINIANARSE4FUN.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
Actually, somebody already has build the database:

www.posterguide.org

Arsim has probably spent a bazillion hours on that database. You can "check the box" for all your posters, no need to create your own website to show off your posters.  Here's just a sample with a few of mine:

https://www.posterguide.org/browseposter.php?browse=15&id=32

Combine it with APF and the authentication websites (including MPC's) and you have the uber-mega-website this hobby needs.

Does this mean you're sticking around to illuminate us all with the candle power of 5 stars?
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:10:51 PM by CSM »
Chris