Author Topic: Magnets and Metal boards  (Read 9189 times)

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
Magnets and Metal boards
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »
OK, anyone have any recommendations ;D for magnet and metallic white boards? Like on  EBAY I would like to unroll my posters just to  photograph for later reference. Any recommendations?
Rudy

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
Re: Magnets and Metal boards
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:55:19 AM »
Hopefully,someone does.I've been looking for some metal boards locally and can't find any.I would prefer to go this route as well.Clipping to a board is a pain.

Anthony

lynbabs

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:00:06 AM »
I was wondering about the metal sheets you can buy from builders merchants? That would probably be the most economic option. Haven't seen metallic white boards but they must exist, though would be far heavier and pricier.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »
Here's what we have (we have two of these set-ups, plus a similar table set-up for items that are best shot from above).

Each of the two walls are large pieces of sheet metal that are painted black and then screwed to the wall.

We use tiny very strong magnets.

lynbabs

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, Bruce. What an excellent set up.  I always wondered how you managed to get such perfect photos.

On eBay, sellers use a peculiar range of items to weigh down their posters. I've seen cutlery, mobile phones, whisky glasses, videos, scissors and even big stones  :)

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, Bruce. What an excellent set up.  I always wondered how you managed to get such perfect photos.

On eBay, sellers use a peculiar range of items to weigh down their posters. I've seen cutlery, mobile phones, whisky glasses, videos, scissors and even big stones  :)

And of course, there have been numerous eBay sellers who have accidentally caught their own naked reflection in their photos (some people suspect some are intentional, to raise the number of views!).

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
I was hoping for a more economical setup. I see many sellers on ebay use such a setup but can't seem to fine the same or equally same board. The magnets are easy to fine. Amazon has all sizes.
Rudy

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
I was hoping for a more economical setup. I see many sellers on ebay use such a setup but can't seem to fine the same or equally same board. The magnets are easy to fine. Amazon has all sizes.

Just remember that good lighting is also important. Shooting straight on gets you great images, but "flashback" can ruin them. I am sure you can come up with a set-up that works for you.

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »
I was wondering about the metal sheets you can buy from builders merchants? That would probably be the most economic option.

That's what I did! Far more cost efficient than a store bought magnetic board.

See if you can get in touch with local metalworkers. Most are happy to provide sheets cut to your specification for a fraction of the cost.

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
Ahhh,good idea! I didn't think of that.Thanks! We have a few metal shops close by.

Anthony

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »
Ahhh,good idea! I didn't think of that.Thanks! We have a few metal shops close by.

Anthony

In Akron?

;D

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
I have found that it is far easier to photograph posters flat on a table of some sort
to that end, I have mounted a tripod head to the wall and my camera faces down.
what kind of lights you use can make the poster look hotter (brighter colors) or cooler (muted colors)

for shooting larger posters such as 3& 6 sheets, French one panels etc when I need to go higher than the wall mount, I have a tripod with boom art that stands about 8 feet high with a 10 foot extension with helps to go higher. Mine is a Manfrotto. I know Peter at MoviePosterExchange uses a boom arm also (he told me about one) but it is a different maker. Mine cost about $175 and it's why my 3 sheet images now look good

dave Lieberman for shooting one sheets also has a camera mount pointing down and he uses an air hockey table to keep posters flat when photographing

what I like most about laying them flat is it's far less time consuming than holding them up trying to get them  on a wall to place magnets
in this way, if I have 300 one sheets to shoot it takes about 3-4 hours.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 09:36:25 PM »
In Akron?

;D

Na,much closer too me. :)

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
I have found that it is far easier to photograph posters flat on a table of some sort
to that end, I have mounted a tripod head to the wall and my camera faces down.
what kind of lights you use can make the poster look hotter (brighter colors) or cooler (muted colors)

for shooting larger posters such as 3& 6 sheets, French one panels etc when I need to go higher than the wall mount, I have a tripod with boom art that stands about 8 feet high with a 10 foot extension with helps to go higher. Mine is a Manfrotto. I know Peter at MoviePosterExchange uses a boom arm also (he told me about one) but it is a different maker. Mine cost about $175 and it's why my 3 sheet images now look good

dave Lieberman for shooting one sheets also has a camera mount pointing down and he uses an air hockey table to keep posters flat when photographing

what I like most about laying them flat is it's far less time consuming than holding them up trying to get them  on a wall to place magnets
in this way, if I have 300 one sheets to shoot it takes about 3-4 hours.

If you're snapping a large quanity...that makes sense.It would be easier to change posters if lying flat.Probably much better for big possters,as well.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
And of course, there have been numerous eBay sellers who have accidentally caught their own naked reflection in their photos (some people suspect some are intentional, to raise the number of views!).

I would have thought seeing naked poster collectors would have only caused an increase in vomiting
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »

People take their poster photos while naked??

Who knew? I learned something new today.

8)

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
If you're snapping a large quanity...that makes sense.It would be easier to change posters if lying flat.Probably much better for big possters,as well.

correct on both counts, and it's easier to flatten them out without worrying about damaging lower grade posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

lynbabs

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 02:06:39 AM »

There's an idea.  Poster sellers on eBay could increase their number of views, and probably sales, by 'accidentally' showing an interesting reflection in their photos. They could dress in a manner appropriate to the poster - Dracula, Rocky Horror, a film noir detective - the sky's the limit.

All it would take is some imagination, and perhaps access to a fancy dress shop  :)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
I got a giant magnetic whiteboard from a used office furniture place. They clear out commercial office space and if you put in a request they would probably grab one for you. You can get them practically free because they usually toss them. Good luck

Offline Reel Movie Posters

• Hobbyist
    • Reel Movie Posters
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »
Cool thread. Always interesting to see how people go about preparing posters for taking pics.

I have a pretty basic setup.

Large piece of chip wood type board with thin metal sheets glued to it.
Sheet of black fabric covering the wood and metal.

Regarding magnets. I bought small strong earth ones. Very handy for those thick rolled DS posters.

Richard Pagliaro
Reel Movie Posters
https://reelmovieposters.com.au

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
I got a giant magnetic whiteboard from a used office furniture place. They clear out commercial office space and if you put in a request they would probably grab one for you. You can get them practically free because they usually toss them. Good luck

Another great idea! Thanks jedgerley.

Anthony

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »
I did this so I could shoot posters up to three sheet size very cheaply, less than $100 when all said and done. Does not count lighting of course of which I am jealous of Bruce's setup. Total time spent was probably about three hours start to finish counting driving to get the supplies.

For the metal I went to a local HVAC company and asked to buy a sheet of 4' X 8" sheet metal used for duct work. From there I went to the local Home Depot and bought flat black spray paint, 2 cans, one can of flat clear, a very fine sanding block and a fast flash solvent which can be found in the paint isle. Took the sheet metal and sanded it lightly to allow the paint to grip the metal better, same method as painting a car, then used the solvent to clean off any metal residue, oil and dirt from sanding and painted the sheet with two coats. Once dry I used the clear to seal it a little better. Make sure you do all of this if you try it in a well ventilated area. Also if you do get sheet metal from anywhere be very careful as it will likely be cut on a sheer and will be very sharp in spots. This can be removed using a file. Once dry I drilled screw holes around the perimeter and in my case literally screwed it to a wall. For the magnets, I bought them on Amazon and they work great though are a little tough to grip as they are small but they are very strong. I posted a link below to the magnets. I only have issues using them if I try to hang a lenticular on the wall. Linen backed posters may need a few extra for the thickness and added weight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPWXQYO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00BPWXQYO&linkCode=as2&tag=z28cam-20&linkId=WRO7R4O6QZ4THKBP
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
Great info there, Mike.

Sounds like a good set up that will work well, too. Could you snap a pic of your setup?  :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:32:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
I had a white ( coloured ) Metal board made up by a fellow I know. I'm in the Fabrication business, so the steel was no problem. I wanted to get it powder coated, as paint can rub off on a poster even when dry. So contacted a fellow I know who has his own business. He bought the steel cut it to size and had it powder coated for me. It's in the garage at the moment as I've changed my mind on how and where to hang it, but when it's up I'll take a pic.  I had it made about 5'X4.5"Maybe a bit larger, can't remember at the moment, as I don't want it too big, but big enough to fit certain larger sizes, so it will take a "Quad Royal" no bother.

Anyway, this cost me nothing as I put work his way. However I asked how much it would have cost and he said around £50-60 all in. So it is a cheap option.  I am going to get the fellow something as He is looking for a Bond poster for his Film room, so when a nice one turns up I'll get him it. We maybe tight up here but we do like to show appreciation...  ;)
It's more than a Hobby...