Author Topic: How many total posters have you purchased only to resell later?  (Read 6636 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: How many total posters have you purchased only to resell later?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »
A couple hundred maybe.  When I lived in Japan, I had access to a bunch of stuff that is/was pretty hard to come by here.  Even 4 years ago, it was much harder to get some of the Japanese material.  I never really had much intention of profiting though.  As a collector, I was paying collector prices which left very little profit margin if I actually wanted to sell them.  I helped a few collectors with some pieces they might not have found otherwise. 

That said, packing, shipping, etc is a major pain in the ass.  It is worth it to be able to help someone out, but absolutely not worth it (to me anyway) for small scale profit.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:41 AM »
I have a few dozen EMP posters that I 'snagged' for cheap when i got into the hobby less than a year ago.  The anti-hoarder OCD in me is stressed out and wants them out of the collection.  Whats the time limit on shipping posters back to EMP for re-sale?  I dont want to cause a tear in the whole space-time continuum thing

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 01:12:42 AM »
I have a few dozen EMP posters that I 'snagged' for cheap when i got into the hobby less than a year ago.  The anti-hoarder OCD in me is stressed out and wants them out of the collection.  Whats the time limit on shipping posters back to EMP for re-sale?  I dont want to cause a tear in the whole space-time continuum thing

Are you referring to a return?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
more like a re-consign

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
A couple hundred maybe.  When I lived in Japan, I had access to a bunch of stuff that is/was pretty hard to come by here.  Even 4 years ago, it was much harder to get some of the Japanese material.  I never really had much intention of profiting though.  As a collector, I was paying collector prices which left very little profit margin if I actually wanted to sell them.  I helped a few collectors with some pieces they might not have found otherwise. 

That said, packing, shipping, etc is a major pain in the ass.  It is worth it to be able to help someone out, but absolutely not worth it (to me anyway) for small scale profit.

All true.  I got a bunch of good stuff from Schan at a very fair price.  It's always nice to know collectors willing to share the wealth without profiting.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Unless you like giving money away, I think all posters we buy will be resold at some point anyway.

In reference to Thierry's comment, in my opinion you can always tell the difference between a dealer who collects and a collector who deals because the latter will let their friends know of a good buy whereas the former will purchase it then offer it to their friend...this is in my experience, though.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
I frequently take posters from my private collection and add them to my website (www.posteroid.com). So the answer here is probably a couple of hundred to a thousand. Quite often I go through my collection and ask myself if I really need this or that poster. If the answer is "no" then it moves over to the website. And sometimes people write to me and aks if I have a certain title. If I do and don't really need that specific title anymore, I let it go.

In the beginning I bought a lot of posters for movies I liked from all genres. But over the years I narrowed down my focus to horror, kaiju, sci fi, mondo and sleaze.

Armin

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
But over the years I narrowed down my focus to... sleaze.

Isn't that where we all head to eventually?  ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »

That's like 11 star.gif territory
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
Not even a baker's dozen worth of  star.gif, huh?

Sad.

;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
I'm thinking about selling few myself. AGH...decisions dunno..  girly2.gif

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
Tastes change as you develop/evolve as a collector.  I've dumped things I thought I never would and only regretted a couple, (but man, those are deeply regretted).

Kudos to those that have the resolve and the space to keep it all.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*