Author Topic: Advice/Questions about Movie Art Print Posters  (Read 4521 times)

Offline CaprEazy

• Beginner
Advice/Questions about Movie Art Print Posters
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »
Hey guys.

Just wanted a little clarification when if comes to original print art posters. An artist creates a poster and then just prints out copies of them and sells them?

Are you just trusting that the artist that it won't be printed a million times?

Whats the difference between giclee, silkscreen and screen printing?

Any other advice on art prints? I'm asking because I see quite a few that I like but I want authenticity and don't want to get scammed.

Thanks.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Advice/Questions about Movie Art Print Posters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
Just wanted a little clarification when if comes to original print art posters. An artist creates a poster and then just prints out copies of them and sells them?

Pretty much, but there are "official' prints where the artist/promotion company obtained the licensing rights for the movie and likeness rights for the actors. Then there is a broad category that I would call "fan art" that covers everything else. Most of the private commission stuff I see would be classified as fan art.

Are you just trusting that the artist that it won't be printed a million times?

Yes, for the most part. Typically, when something is printed, the run is a combination of the different versions or variants of the print, artist copies, test prints, etc. Sometimes there is a timed edition where the print run will be all the copies sold during a specific time window. Sometimes prints are an 'open' editions. Most often, the editions are limited to a specific number of prints.

Artists who reprint their work after the fact can get blowback from fans that impacts the collectibility of the print. In general it is not done, but an artist is not compensated for the sales of the print in the secondary market. They make money up front and when they sell the artist copies(APs). In the case of "official" prints, I think the contract they sign with the promotor/production company would limit what the artist can reprint.

In concert posters, Emek is a heavy hitter who creates prints for many bands like Pearl Jam and others. He might create an original image specifically for the concert poster. If the original image is popular, he sometimes sells prints of the art alone, without the branding/concert information. I can think of a popular Pearl Jam Rome concert poster where the original art was turned in to prints, pins, blankets and other items on his website. I don't want my limited edition prints reprinted, but on some level, I understand the artist's plight. If one of their posters sells for thousands of dollars in the secondary market, they don't see any of that. They created the art, and at least they have a chance to get some compensation for it after the original release.

It does happen in the movie poster game too, Laurent Durieux, a popular illustrator, has made multiple versions of his Jaws print by selling offset printed versions on his website. Even doing that, he has not impacted the secondary market value of his Mondo Jaws print from 2013 which has sold for as much as $7000US in the past year.

Whats the difference between giclee, silkscreen and screen printing?
Sure you already looked this up, but here is a definition for giclee from the internet: A process for producing high-quality reproductions of images such as paintings or photographs using an inkjet printer.

Here is another definition from the internet: Screen printing is a printing technique where a mesh is used to transfer ink onto a substrate, except in areas made impermeable to the ink by a blocking stencil.

Giclees are digital prints made using an ink-jet printer. Silkscreens or screen prints (same thing) are prints made using artwork screens of different color layers on paper. The process of selecting inks, creating the separations and actually producing the prints is an artform by itself. It's a tedious process and the print shops that support a high volume print run on large paper are somewhat limited. Regarding the earlier question about print runs, it is harder to set up and reprint something using screen printing process. If you have an ink-jet printer, you could make a giclee yourself in theory.

Digital prints are here to stay though. If you are looking at a photo-realistic print, it was probably made with a giclee printer. The inks are supposedly UV resistant and permanent. Both processes are pretty ubiquitous at this point. My preference is with screen printed art, but something being a giclee print doesn't stop me from buying it. If you like the art, you buy the print.

Any other advice on art prints? I'm asking because I see quite a few that I like but I want authenticity and don't want to get scammed.
If you are starting out, you might want to stick with some of the more popular galleries like Mondo, Vice-Press, Grey Matter Art and Bottleneck Gallery for new releases. Most of their stuff is licensed with good quality printing.

Find some artists you like and seek out their posters.

For older prints, eBay is the main option.

There is a forum like this one called Expresso Beans. You should definitely check it out. https://expressobeans.com
People there are generally cool. I honestly have never had a problem buying a print from another member, but YMMV. Never pay something PayPal friends and family when you are buying something LOL

Buy what you like.

Have fun  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:55:04 AM by jpicken »

Offline CaprEazy

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 02:00:30 AM »
Hey thanks for the detailed response jpicken!

I appreciate it. And you summed it up best... "Buy what you like."

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 03:30:00 AM »
Great answer here!

Yeah, usually APs are limited, very limited and parties usually agree on terms for resale... AP stand for Artist Proof which are prints printed for the artist to review and correct; not to confuse with PP which are Printer Proof (refer as Test Print  below). Quantity of printed APs is very limited and there is high interest in APs as they tend to sell at higher price than normal edition, PPs can be many (from one color printing to finsih products) and their value is less.  But then, there are many cases where printers or artists are reselling APs and PPs without consent of others, we call this "Backdoor prints", that is prints which are official (not fake) but resold backdoor without real authorisation...  Another well know method is for the artist to take back all the unsold unsigned edition (artist usually do a signed eition and unsigned editions) from their partner shops and signed them and mark them APs :)   Then there are artists, like Durieux mentioned below, who do some authorised reprints.  A great way to get a famous print at fair price from source.  At the end, for APs/PPs, you just need to be sure of the source and that it is "recognised" as legit in the fine art world.  Be wary of the 60s/70s rock posters, there are been many printings, too many.   Another term is "signed at the plate" or "à la planche" or "à la pierre", for this one the artist signed the art and printer/distributors are authorised to print with the signature of the artist in the printing process (from the old time, "à la pierre" means "on the stone"; the artist applies his signature directly on the stone litho).

A last one, C-print, which stands for Chromogenic and basically means photography papers.   C-prints are usually done using transparency or negative and thus of high quality.  But modern C-print are also with digital printers nowadays so, just as for giclées, knowing the printer use and quality of color separation is important.

For giclées, there are mahy different qualities, you need to check the specifications :)  As Jpicken said, giclée are supposed to last time because of special archival ink.  Expensive ones are done using special ink, high definition printer with color separation, and thick archival paper; this will give a clear and net image with vibrant colors on a nice thick paper, they are the one to  look for... then you have the poor giclées done with poor printers, poor or no color separation flimsy paper, well just bad, like a cheap DIY printing.  I prefer also screenprint or silkscreen as you can clearly see and touch the different layers of ink and there is "real" work behind the print.

But at the end, the most important is to buy what you like... and preserve them from time.
ExpressoBeans is a great website indeed. All is there!!   And as said, don't use Paypal Friends nor do bank transfer :) 
This said, fine art has been taken over speculators, mostly daddy boys buying sneakers, wine and watches... they buy from source (they use bots), the print is sold out and then they flip the art on ebay the next day... they do it with new artists for which prices aren't high, they and some other parties are hyping the artist like mad on Instagram, FB, etc. to make huge profit... and since they do profit, sheeps follow and they all do it... and this is how a 50 usd print can resale at 1000 usd and plus within just a week time :)   Don't do Ebay, too many overpriced item, only do Ebay Auctions. 

Oh, btw, the latest trend is called "NFT".  Because daddy boys like to speculate, most of them went into crypto but they realised that the market is a bit tied so they - with the help of gallerist, uaction house - created the NFT.  NFT is a way to bring cryptomoney to the mass because cryptomoney is a must to buy a NFT, no choice.     Seeing crypto entering the world of money laundering is amusing.   Fine art world is a funny world... don't forget, it is the third or second criminal network after drugs and arms :)

Buy what you like and don't believe the hype!   
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the prints by Dave Quiggle?  I bought his Dawn of the Dead print at a junk shop, though know nothing about value or this artist other than it's a fun print on a heavy stock.  I'll post an image when I'm on my computer. Best, Okie
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:40:55 PM by okiehawker »

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »
I don't know much about him personally.

This is a listing of his prints at Expresso Beans.
https://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=10847
Your Dawn of the Dead print is in the listing.

Looks like he creates both pop culture and gig posters for bands.