Author Topic: Rippling caused by frames  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Rippling caused by frames
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
I have not framed any posters yet, but I have seen plenty of framed posters that have the signature "rippling" effect. Is this an inevitable side-effect of displaying posters in a frame?

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Rippling caused by frames
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:28:12 AM »
I have not framed any posters yet, but I have seen plenty of framed posters that have the signature "rippling" effect. Is this an inevitable side-effect of displaying posters in a frame?
What kind of frames are you using??

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:54 AM »
What kind of frames are you using??

Per my post, I haven't framed any posters yet. But when I do frame some, I'll be using Hollywood Poster Frames.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:29 AM »
Rippling is less of a problem with the HPFs but I recommend that you only use one metal spring at the top center behind the foam board.  The metal springs can create permanent waves.

Also, never try to squeeze a poster into a frame that is too small.  See this thread for tips on that:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6042.0.html

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
Seems to occur a lot more on rolled posters (and moderns).  The folds seem to give the poster some breathing space and also vintage paper is much more forgiving...
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:50 AM »
I use the snap frames and I have not noticed any problems with rippling or anything. Although I do try to rotate them out every 6 weeks or so.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »
Rippling is less of a problem with the HPFs but I recommend that you only use one metal spring at the top center behind the foam board.  The metal springs can create permanent waves.

Also, never try to squeeze a poster into a frame that is too small.  See this thread for tips on that:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6042.0.html

Thanks for the tip!

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »
I had some of my posters professionally framed and never had any rippling....thank god.