Author Topic: Travel advertising  (Read 112437 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Travel advertising
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »
Chris, you ever seen the King Tut Treasures...?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
Chris, you ever seen the King Tut Treasures...?

Yep - twice.  Saw the REAL treasures in Cairo and then the traveling exhibit in Toronto (which only contained some of the much "lesser" finds).

The sheer volume in the Cairo Museum is staggering...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
Wow, the Cairo museum must have been fantastic. I saw the exhibition in 74 I think in london, and at that age was astounded. The Golden Mask was mesmerising, there didn't seem to be a mark on it. Do you know if there was any work done to it, to make it like that. Or is it as they found it?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Wow, the Cairo museum must have been fantastic. I saw the exhibition in 74 I think in london, and at that age was astounded. The Golden Mask was mesmerising, there didn't seem to be a mark on it. Do you know if there was any work done to it, to make it like that. Or is it as they found it?

It's pretty much as they found it.  It certainly has been cleaned and polished.

There is also certainly some damage to it on the back due to the fact it was basically fused to the inside of the coffin and Tut's head with all the unguents poured on the body:

You can see the missing lapis lazuli blue inlay on the back in this pic

As an aside, you were lucky to see the mask in '74 as I highly doubt it will EVER leave Egypt again!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:51:36 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
It's pretty much as they found it.  It certainly has been cleaned and polished.

There is also certainly some damage to it on the back due to the fact it was basically fused to the inside of the coffin and Tut's head with all the unguents poured on the body:

You can see the missing lapis lazuli blue inlay on the back in this pic

As an aside, you were lucky to see the mask in '74 as I highly doubt it will EVER leave Egypt again!

Great images, Chris. Thanks for posting.

That CU detail of the back of the mask is something I have never seen before.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »
Thanks for posting those Chris, I don't remember the back of it, mind I was only 13 at the time. What I do remember was the Que was right outside the British Museum, and so far along the road. I was all for.. I've had enough, lets go, but my parents kept my brother and me in check until we got in. I'm glad they did, though I wish I was a bit older at the time as I'd have appreciated it more...    

Juli

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »
I would really love to see the mask as well as the other treasures found in the tomb. I have never been to any of the exhibits. I would really love to go to Egypt and visit the Cairo museum as well as see the Pyamids and all.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Juli, here's a cool youtube video that gives a nice overview of a good number of the Tut artifacts:

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Didn't know where to put this so here is good ;)

Very cool poster, used to own a similar poster from New York 30(!) years ago.  I have vague memories that some of the treasures traveled by train in the US and the train would stop in various cities and that my family saw the train exhibits.

By law the mask cannot leave Egypt now.  Gotta go to Egypt to see it.

Most people think that Howard Carter randomly found King Tut's tomb but he actually was specifically looking for it for five years.  They estimate about 40% of the "treasures" were stolen in antiquity.  A miracle the rest were never pilfered....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:47:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Juli

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
Juli, here's a cool youtube video that gives a nice overview of a good number of the Tut artifacts:

Wow! Amazing to see all that. Now if only I could see it in person!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »
Might as well take this thread completely off topic  ;D

Thought you might like these Juli - a VERY small sample of the pics (I have over 1,300) I took in 2008 while in Egypt:

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
Might as well take this thread completely off topic  ;D

Thought you might like these Juli - a VERY small sample of the pics (I have over 1,300) I took in 2008 while in Egypt:

The egyptian government should check its policy on letting potential relic-burglars enter their country...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »
The egyptian government should check its policy on letting potential relic-burglars enter their country...

Palms were greased no doubt ;)
Chris

Juli

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »
Wow! Those pictures are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing them. That makes me want to go to Egypt even more.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Great pictures, Chris.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
Oh yes, jollygood pics Chris. What's the chance of you starting a new topic and posting some more, maybe in the Let it out thread..... :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »
Oh yes, jollygood pics Chris. What's the chance of you starting a new topic and posting some more, maybe in the Let it out thread..... :)

Here you go Paul - with plenty more  ;D

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4424.0.html

Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
 sm1

Bruce

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
We have a wonderful selection of 199 vintage travel posters ending TOMORROW NIGHT, Thursday, October 18th beginning at 7 PM CST.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INCREDIBLE DEALS ON GREAT TRAVEL POSTERS, THEN LOOK  NO FURTHER! I JUST LOOKED OVER THE 199 OF THEM ENDING TONIGHT, AND I SAW LOTS AND LOTS OF REALLY WILDLY UNDER-PRICED ITEMS (a large number of them are well under what you would expect repros of them to be listed at, so those of you looking for great deals need to take advantage of this, because you likely won't again see an assortment of travel posters like these for quite some time!).

Of course there are also some really wonderful ones that are priced between $100 and $400 (as of right now), but even those are mostly far under what dealers of such posters would ask for them (the ones you can find for sale anywhere!).

We have 800 "special" rolled posters (movie-related & non-movie including many travel & war posters, plus much more) at auction, and they start to end TOMORROW NIGHT, Thursday, October 18th at 7 PM CST.

You can go here to see ALL the posters ending tonight, or you can see just the 199 travel posters here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/travel/sort/1/14.html

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:26:11 PM by Bruce »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
Two new ones that send my heart a flutterin'!  Both from the 1930s towards the twilight of the 'Golden Age of Travel' 

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
They look great and right at home, Chris!

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »
Wow, they are nice.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!