Author Topic: WARNING: THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY BE DISTURBING!  (Read 6768 times)

Bruce

WARNING: THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY BE DISTURBING!
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »
SHOCKING images of damage to one of OUR "gorilla-proof" tubes! WARNING: THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY BE DISTURBING!

We received an e-mail from a customer this week showing unbelievable damage his shipment received. Here are the images he sent:

Of course, we put in a claim, but we still wonder HOW this is even possible! Did they lay it carefully on the ground and run a truck over it? If you have EVER received one of our tubes, you KNOW just how difficult it would be to do this!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: WARNING: THESE IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY BE DISTURBING!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »
Good thing it wasn't a fantabulous poster is all I can say
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
Yeah, I know someone was probably heartbroken at this loss -- but at least it was something modern and likely replaceable. 

So what do we think?  Maybe a fork lift backed over it?  Those things weigh thousands of pounds and are very compact. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
I got $5 on angry wife with the family sedan
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
I got $5 on angry wife with the family sedan

Maybe just hit him repeatedly over the head with it

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:48 AM »
Yeah, I know someone was probably heartbroken at this loss -- but at least it was something modern and likely replaceable. 

So what do we think?  Maybe a fork lift backed over it?  Those things weigh thousands of pounds and are very compact. 

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was a father buying it for his young son, because they were going to some Star Wars event where one of the actors was appearing, and they were going to get the poster signed, so the Post Office ruined that, and that stinks.

It seems to me it HAD to be run over by a truck or fork lift or something similar. I am not sure how else that could happen.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
It looks like it would have been a good one for autographs.  That is a real bummer that it was damaged right before the signing.  It probably would take at least several hundred, if not over a thousand pounds of pressure to crush it that badly.  I test a lot of shipping tubes, and most I can crush in my hands, whereas the eMovie tubes I can stand on and they don't show any signs of being crushed.  I'd say you're probably right, that it was run over by a vehicle to cause that kind of damage.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
Would a vehicle running over it crush it - from end to end? Seems unlikely to me

Maybe Ted might know how that could happen? Crushed under a vehicle loading platform?

I'd like to know how Bruce made the buyer happy

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:04:28 AM by 50s »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »
I can see what you mean, Steve, but a forklift or a delivery truck running over it would have a different impact than a car or truck.  There are not many scenarios I can think of that would cause enough force to crush something like that, that badly. 

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »
Still cant see how a forklift' s wheels can accidentally crush a tube end to end. And I don't see any tread marks.

Because both of the persons packages were damaged, maybe it was a malfunction with the post office machinery like a conveyor belt?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:02:08 AM »
Initially, I had the same thought about what could cause the entire length of it to be flattened, and how a heavy vehicle could do that.  Some postal service experts could confirm other scenarios that could apply that much force.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:24:07 AM »
my guess is it rolled out of the truck, into the street and the path of an oncoming vehicle, but some sort of hydraulic liftgate mishap would not surprise me either.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:35:50 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
my guess is it rolled out of the truck, into the street and the path of an oncoming vehicle, but some sort of hydraulic liftgate mishap would not surprise me either.

And the sad part is that we will never know.  They stuff it back on the truck like nothing happened and say "Damage, what damage?  Fill out a form"
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
No treadmarks, so I'd say a forklift.
Postal (or parcel) forklifts rarely (if ever) go outside so they don't have treads like the one in the picture.
And being so heavy, a forklift would flatten the entire tube without having to run over it lengthwise.