Author Topic: Almost every country used different sizes of posters, but mostly standard sizes  (Read 8822 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Ha!...
Well Paul, how about we do a trade for a poster or two you have I would like - I have one of these TMWTGGs spare...
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I'm not sure I like where this is going... which poster or two?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
I'm not sure I like where this is going... which poster or two?

Whichever do not take it off line, lots of people now interested in this trade...
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Just a follow up note for Bruce,

These U.K. Lobbies, were printed in Italy, and I forgot to take a pic of the ones with No printers info on...next time.
Just shows in the U.K.  we'll go where ever is cheapest... ;)

Bruce

Paul, I don't think it was because it was cheaper! There were tons of lobby cards printed in Italy for English movies from the late 1950s to the 1970s, and also they did lots of special color sets for U.S. movies (from 8x10 to 11x14 to 16x20), PLUS there were some larger special posters.

ALL of these had much superior quality of printing and color to that of the U.S. or English printers of those times, so I suspect they went to Italy for the superior printing rather than lower cost.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Bruce, You did state that U.K. cards "always" have Printed in England or something similar on them. I was just letting you know this is not the case...

Bruce

Bruce, You did state that U.K. cards "always" have Printed in England or something similar on them. I was just letting you know this is not the case...

Thanks much. I will be revising everything to reflect the additions and corrections and I will note the two types of English cards (those printed in England and those printed in Italy for use in England).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
And don't forget, some don't have any of this info on at all..

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Paul, how do door panels fit in this measuring system?

Like this one: http://www.hazardousoperations.com/movie-ink_wp/2011/03/18/hello-world-2/

Wim

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Wim, I think I mentioned them on post 7,  But yes 60"x20" sometimes called a door panel, is still a Quad. It's all about surface area.

Any printers info?   And what makes you think it was 1944?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:49:31 PM by paul waines »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Oh sorry Paul, read across that. I can't read the credits, except for "Printed in England" at the left bottom side. It's my falling eyesight I'm afraid. Tried to take a pic with my iphone but that did not help either. I'll try again later with natural light. I think it's a '44 as that is what they told me at Reel Poster where I bought it. It was also described like that in one of their catalogues which I must have somewhere and can't find either....

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
ARGH this is annoying. Took out my reading glasses and my son, but it's hard to read as the text is right on the trim. It's something like "Stage...."something (?), "Macclesfield" - something more unintelligible, then a semicolon with either a number like 387 or just "and", then "London". Finally it says something like "No. 6764A". Yikes my head hurts.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I can see why they put 1944, it's a good assumption with it being re-released through Ealing Distributors.

The numbers you describe sound like a Stafford and co printing, does it look like this..

STAFFORD & CO LTD NETHERFIELD, NOTHINGHAM, AND LONDON    No 6764A
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:35:16 PM by paul waines »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
I think you're hit it with Stafford. I think it says Stafford and Co LTD. Don't see any Vauxhall though. These are the sharpest pics i can provide.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I changed it to the above one Wim, did away with the Vauxhall.

Looks spot on now...

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Yeah that's it! How did you get that?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I looked on one of my door panels from around the period... ;)

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
haha!