Author Topic: Praise for emovie!  (Read 14961 times)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Praise for emovie!
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
So I am pretty much a newbie buyer (like 5 years) and must give praise to Bruce and emovieposter for the EXTREMELY professional way they handle the entire auction process from bidding, to customer service, to ease of payment, etc.  I have always paid using paypal previously, but just got off the phone with a woman who took my CC info, that was most pleasant and easy to deal with.  Thanks, Bruce & co!

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Praise for emovie!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
The folks over at eMovieposter.com are great to deal with, to be sure

guest8

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
OHHH .. I bet this thread will get locked up and deleted !!!! :P Is Bruce paying you guys to advertise his wonderful services !!! ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:08:17 PM »
eMovie is wonderful 'cept you gotta compete against other poster freaks and trust fund babies; you can't snipe; and Jaws1975 is always lurking about ready to take a bite out of your wallet!  :)

So I usually end up delving into the swamp of Ebay....

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
True, but people will pay more for peace of mind.  You can't put a price tag on accurately graded MP, bomb-proof packaging, and great customer service

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
Bruce is undoubtedly one of the "big dogs" in the poster collecting world, and he is a very respectable leader.

Regarding Mel's post, It seems like a lot of people here appreciate your posts, and you are a crucial part to this forum, but shouldn't we be trying to unite people who are deserving in the hobby?  In some of your posts, you call some people "fanboys", others "stupid for linen-backing a poster (that is not something like Breakfast at Tiffany's)", and you make other derogatory remarks towards collectors.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of your posts are funny and provide expert information that is not easy to come across, and it is admirable of you to speak your mind.

Here is a quote from Colin Powell:
Colin Powell's Lesson 12 -
"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier. The ripple effect of a leader's enthusiasm and optimism is awesome. So is the impact of cynicism and pessimism. Leaders who whine and blame engender those same behaviors among their colleagues. I am not talking about stoically accepting organizational stupidity and performance incompetence with a "what, me worry?" smile. I am talking about a gung ho attitude that says "we can change things here, we can achieve awesome goals, we can be the best." Spare me the grim litany of the "realist"; give me the unrealistic aspirations of the optimist any day.”
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:08:06 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
So I am pretty much a newbie buyer (like 5 years) and must give praise to Bruce and emovieposter for the EXTREMELY professional way they handle the entire auction process from bidding, to customer service, to ease of payment, etc.  I have always paid using paypal previously, but just got off the phone with a woman who took my CC info, that was most pleasant and easy to deal with.  Thanks, Bruce & co!

I have had the same experience. After paying by phone for the first time last week I found myself doing the same thing this week.

True, but people will pay more for peace of mind.  You can't put a price tag on accurately graded MP, bomb-proof packaging, and great customer service

I agree 100%. Even with relatively limited experience I feel good about being the high bidder right after its over. Im pretty sure I will get the poster I bought in the condition I bought it in and I will receive it in a timely fashion.

In the five different occassions I have bought from Emovie I know I have probably paid too much for a couple of items Ive gotten there. For example Im pretty sure I over spent the other night as I bought the most expensive t-shirt of my life but I did get the poster I wanted and it wasnt really so much compared to what most of you guys spend  8)
At the same time I think I have gotten pretty good deals on most of the posters I bought from them.

Ebay scares me yet as I try to figure out how to properly seperate the good, the bad and the ugly sellers. After a few bad experiences I will pretty much only buy new stuff there.

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
"Im pretty sure I will get the poster I bought in the condition I bought it in and I will receive it in a timely fashion."

CORRECTION: I'm 99% sure you will get it "in the condition [you] bought it in and [you] will receive it in a timely fashion". And if you somehow don't, we will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

I have been a collectibles buyer longer than almost all of you have been alive. After encountering all the same creepy things you guys have, I said to myself one day, "Self, if you start an auction house where you treat everyone EXACTLY the way you wish you were treated EVERY time, would thousands of collectors not flock to your door?"

That is what got me started, and that has been our Golden Rule since Day One. Some other auction houses seem to have a different Golden Rule, namely "We have lots of gold, but we want lots more, and we will do whatever it takes to separate you from your gold, by hook or by crook"!

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:59:39 PM by Bruce »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
In some of your posts, you call some people "fanboys", others "stupid for linen-backing a poster (that is not something like Breakfast at Tiffany's)", and you make other derogatory remarks towards collectors.
Neo, this means war:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Bruce is undoubtedly one of the "big dogs" in the poster collecting world, and he is a very respectable leader.

Regarding Mel's post, It seems like a lot of people here appreciate your posts, and you are a crucial part to this forum, but shouldn't we be trying to unite people who are deserving in the hobby?  In some of your posts, you call some people "fanboys", others "stupid for linen-backing a poster (that is not something like Breakfast at Tiffany's)", and you make other derogatory remarks towards collectors.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of your posts are funny and provide expert information that is not easy to come across, and it is admirable of you to speak your mind.

Here is a quote from Colin Powell:
Colin Powell's Lesson 12 -
"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier. The ripple effect of a leader's enthusiasm and optimism is awesome. So is the impact of cynicism and pessimism. Leaders who whine and blame engender those same behaviors among their colleagues. I am not talking about stoically accepting organizational stupidity and performance incompetence with a "what, me worry?" smile. I am talking about a gung ho attitude that says "we can change things here, we can achieve awesome goals, we can be the best." Spare me the grim litany of the "realist"; give me the unrealistic aspirations of the optimist any day.”

Mel was obviously being at least partially sarcastic...

And he wasn't criticizing Bruce (which anyone is free to do by the way, if they have a well-reasoned concern - same goes for any other seller/dealer/auction host)

Mel is quite correct that the competition can be fierce on eMovie as there are many choice pieces and thus draws many "high rollers" - eBay certainly still has it's uses...
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Neo, this means war:

Mel, I was LMAO when I saw that.  

Mel was obviously being at least partially sarcastic...

And he wasn't criticizing Bruce (which anyone is free to do by the way, if they have a well-reasoned concern - same goes for any other seller/dealer/auction host)

Mel is quite correct that the competition can be fierce on eMovie as there are many choice pieces and thus draws many "high rollers" - eBay certainly still has it's uses...

CSM, you missed my point entirely.  I know what freedom of speech is, and I know that Mel was not criticizing Bruce.  What I was referring to was that of Mel's labeling bidders on emovieposter as "fanboys" or "trust fund babies" is a pessimistic way of looking at emovieposter, which has a lot more good points than bad points, IMHO.  Adding to that, if it weren't for high rollers, emovieposter may not get a lot of those choice pieces, and people should appreciate the high rollers for bringing in consignors with brilliant posters.  

Mel did not mention all of the good things about emovieposter, as it has earned its place as a legend, and Mel's labeling people, in this case bidders, with derogatory terms is essentially segregating people who are important to the poster collecting world.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Neo, you're way too serious!  It's all fun and games, man.  I've been impugned and pummeled many times by the goofballs on the board, so what comes around goes around.

Anyway, of course Emovie overall is the best poster auction site. I'm just saying that you'll never get a steal there b/c too many poster afficianados hang out there.  Any time a "holy grail" poster - like the Empire Strikes Back international - goes up for bid, the price zooms to the stratosphere.  On Ebay and other sites you've got a slim chance of obtaining a "holy grail" poster for next-to-nothing - and having bragging rights afterwards!

wonka

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
I've been impugned and pummeled many times by the goofballs on the board, so what comes around goes around.
Neo, you will learn soon enough that if you disagree with Mel or raise any questions about his posts you get thrown in the 'goofball' bin, to be disregarded in his mind forever.

Welcome to Goofball Anonymous!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
a "holy grail" poster - like the Empire Strikes Back international

Goofball is right.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »
Neo, you will learn soon enough that if you disagree with Mel or raise any questions about his posts you get thrown in the 'goofball' bin, to be disregarded in his mind forever.

Welcome to Goofball Anonymous!

Goofball is right.

Goofball Anonymous!?!  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Seriously, you guys are right, forums should be places to speak your mind.

Note to self: In the future, don't sweat the petty stuff.  

spacething

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 06:17:38 AM »
Back to emovieposter for a second - I think it's great and I love a lot about it.  I've always been treated well and I've found some great stuff on there.  I also think I am in the minority inasmuch as I like the extended bidding.  Bruce has made the point in the past that it replicates how a true live auction works.  I still use ebay for some things, although I hate the sniping aspect of it.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 06:54:52 AM »
I think sniping turns an auction sort of into a Make An Offer sale... the best price offer wins...

Buying from Emovieposter gets my thumbs up too.

Carson

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
Cool thing about emovieposter is it's proof that, despite the predictability of detractors and those who just need to sit on anything they perceive as threatening, if you cut out that non sense, lose the "buyers premium" pretense, provide A+ customer service, provide honesty, provide A+ packaging sooner or later people take note. This is the third "thanks emovie" thread thus far and others on MPF. Anyone seen a thread just to say "hey, thanks Heritage"? Perhaps there's something to that? I'd say there is.

Thanks for the poster fun Bruce as well as enduring some of the recent "moderating" should anyone actually try to call it that. I've bought posters from all sorts of places since '97 after seeing a little movie I like to call Bottle Rocket and to date, the Tues & Thurs auctions scrolling through the thumbnails are still the funnest part of my collecting. The eBay swamp is fantastic if you have the time and patience I just don't any longer. I'd agree with Hackenbush, I gladly pay for the time savings.

tstatum

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
I also hate sniping, but the extended bidding did cause me trouble at the last mini/major, in the heat of that situation I spent more then I wanted/planed on.  But I digress I love the fact that at eight eastern every tues and thurs I know it's time to check my bids.

tstatum

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
Carson's correct even on lobby card weeks which I know I more then likely won't bid I find myself fascinated with images I may have never have seen if emovie wasn't there.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »
I think sniping turns an auction sort of into a Make An Offer sale... the best price offer wins...

Buying from Emovieposter gets my thumbs up too.

I also hate sniping, but the extended bidding did cause me trouble at the last mini/major, in the heat of that situation I spent more then I wanted/planed on.  But I digress I love the fact that at eight eastern every tues and thurs I know it's time to check my bids.

I hate sniping three. I may be new to movie posters but Im relatively old to ebay and sniping is for .....................   8). I am ok with the OT at emovie. I see it as the person who gets it is the person who wants it more. Ive lost out this way a few times but it doesnt seem cheap or like I was artificially fucked like with some software.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »
don't sweat the petty stuff.  

And don't pet the sweaty stuff.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
We recently added our 7,500th registered bidder! We have more movie paper bidders than ANY other auction site, and our results prove that.

It has been suggested that we auction more movie paper items per week (actual auctions, not fixed price sales masquerading as auctions) than the entire eBay site!

Of course, had the suits who run eBay not been so insanely greedy and endlessly raised fees, we would likely still be selling there, and eBay might well be stronger than ever.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
7500!!! BRAVO!!!! YEAH!!!  EMOVIEPOSTER.COM AUCTIONS THREE TIMES A WEEK!!!  SOCKAMAGEE, BATMAN!! 7500 MEMBERS AND COUNTING!!! SHAZAM!!! 7500!! EMOVIEPOSTER.COM!!!! BRUCEY, BRUCEY, HE'S OUR MAN, IF BRUCE CAN'T DO IT, NOBODY CAN!!! 7500!! THE MAN IS INSANE!!! 7500!! MOTHER OF GOD, HOW DOES HE DO IT??? 7500!! EMOVIEPOSTER.COM!!!!  HIP HIP HOOORAY!!!!!                                    

7500!!! BRAVO!!!! YEAH!!!  EMOVIEPOSTER.COM AUCTIONS THREE TIMES A WEEK!!!  SOCKAMAGEE, BATMAN!! 7500 MEMBERS AND COUNTING!!! SHAZAM!!! 7500!! EMOVIEPOSTER.COM!!!! BRUCEY, BRUCEY, HE'S OUR MAN, IF BRUCE CAN'T DO IT, NOBODY CAN!!! 7500!! THE MAN IS INSANE!!! 7500!! MOTHER OF GOD, HOW DOES HE DO IT??? 7500!! EMOVIEPOSTER.COM!!!!  HIP HIP HOOORAY!!!!! 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
Brude, you've finally gone too far!
Chris