Author Topic: Framing question  (Read 10540 times)

Ringwar

Framing question
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »
I am going to go to a local framer to get some of my posters framed. What should I be aware of when framing a poster? They are linen mounted. I may want to be able to take them out of the frame later to get autographed. Is UV glass something I should ask about?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Framing question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
I am going to go to a local framer to get some of my posters framed. What should I be aware of when framing a poster? They are linen mounted. I may want to be able to take them out of the frame later to get autographed. Is UV glass something I should ask about?

Yes. I would certainly ask what UV plexi would cost. That would be the way to go.

;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
You need PH neutral Backing boards, always go for non-reflect glass, or you will never see the poster properly for the reflections. As Jeff says UV Plexi, which comes in Non-reflect.

If you need to take it out of the frame ask for the bendable clips to hold everything in, they are good for several poster swaps before they need replacing, and don't get the back taped up.
It's more than a Hobby...

guest8

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
Unless you are looking for a specific/ornate frame design .. I'd go with Spotlight light poster frames add some acid free foam core for the backing and you are good to go and it'll probably be cheaper than any local frame shop and if I recall correctly all APF members receive 10% off. Not to mention this way you have your hand in every step of the framing process, that way you are sure no one will have done something irreversible to your posters.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
You might also look at Hollywood Poster Frames.  Sue is a good egg and her prices are competitive with Spotlight.  Different frames for different applications.  I use HPF when I want to keep stuff displayed, and Spotlight for things that get rotated.

I would suggest UV resistant plexi instead of glass for several reasons.  First, it is significantly lighter.  Second, it doesn't crack or break easily.  I damaged a poster I was quite fond of when a fram got unexpectedly jostled by a drunk partygoer.  Third and finally, glass holds significantly more heat.  It gets warmer when exposed to sunlight, and heat is not a good thing.  (You should keep the poster out of direct sunlight at any rate)
-Jay-

Ringwar

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
Hollywood actually looks like a really good price. It's about the same price as I was quoted locally but I would have to wait for them to order UV plexi. And they sell a archival frame set with acid free foam core backing. It's a good thing I don't plan on framing a huge amount of posters. This sure isn't a cheap hobby. And I thought arcade games were expensive...

Ringwar

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
What about matting? Do you guys put a matting in front of your poster to keep it away from the glass?

guest8

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
What about matting? Do you guys put a matting in front of your poster to keep it away from the glass?

You really only need to worry about this when using glass.

Ringwar

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
So if I use the uv plexi I don't have to mat? And with a house full of kids plexi is probably better.

You really only need to worry about this when using glass.

guest8

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
So if I use the uv plexi I don't have to mat? And with a house full of kids plexi is probably better.

Yup, plastics can breath which allows the moisture to escape, glass does not. Unless you live in a sauna it's not usually that big of a deal. Mel has a poster hung in his bathroom and he says he doesn't have any issues with humidity.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »

If you are going to rotate, make the frames slightly too large.  Posters vary in size up to 1/2 inch in either dimension. although most are +/- 1/4"
-Jay-

Ringwar

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
OK, well I got prices and Hollywood is 60% more expensive than spotlight. But I'm not sure their products are the same. Hollywood advertises using a acidfree foam-core backer and it sounds like spotlight uses a plexiglass backer?

guest8

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
OK, well I got prices and Hollywood is 60% more expensive than spotlight. But I'm not sure their products are the same. Hollywood advertises using a acidfree foam-core backer and it sounds like spotlight uses a plexiglass backer?

That is correct, with just your typical 1S poster, I'd say the PETG backing is just fine. However you mentioned yours was a linen piece, so it will be heavier. So because of that, I'd suggest picking up a sheet of acid free foam core to put in the frame in place of the PETG backing. I can usually pick up a 40x60" sheet of foam cored for <$15 at some local hobby stores.

Ringwar

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
I thought only 1 company sells "acid-free" foam core? And I don't think my local hobby place would carry that type. My posters are linen mounted by Dario Daybill and Insert sizes.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
I thought only 1 company sells "acid-free" foam core? And I don't think my local hobby place would carry that type. My posters are linen mounted by Dario Daybill and Insert sizes.
Michaels or hobby lobby carries it. A lot of arts and craft stores carry it. It is fairly cheap like fallen said it is usually $15 for a 40x60

guest8

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »

You may be thinking about alkaline based foam cores. That is harder to find although it can usually still be ordered through a local hobby store but it is usually a lot more expensive.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
If you do decide to go with a foam core backing, you should tell Spotlight about it.  They can change how they cut the rails to fit the thicker package.

BTW, linen backing is rather rare on inserts.  They are usually kraft paper backed as they are printed on thicker stock.

I have several inserts mounted in both Hollywood and Spotlight frames.  The thicker stock and smaller width actually make mounting in the Spotlight frames a piece of cake.  Much easier than the 1 sheets.  I would say just use the PET-G backing and you should be fine.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

Might want to look into Americanframe.com as an alternative depending where you are located.  My daybill frames are all from there...
Chris

Ringwar

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
My only insert is my Flash Gordon and it's normal poster paper. I'll probably just go with what Spotlight has for the backing. I still have 7-8 more posters to send out eventually to Dario. Only 1 is a full sheet. I like the Insert and Daybill sizes. Thanks for all the advice.

If you do decide to go with a foam core backing, you should tell Spotlight about it.  They can change how they cut the rails to fit the thicker package.

BTW, linen backing is rather rare on inserts.  They are usually kraft paper backed as they are printed on thicker stock.

I have several inserts mounted in both Hollywood and Spotlight frames.  The thicker stock and smaller width actually make mounting in the Spotlight frames a piece of cake.  Much easier than the 1 sheets.  I would say just use the PET-G backing and you should be fine.

guest8

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
If you do decide to go with a foam core backing, you should tell Spotlight about it.  They can change how they cut the rails to fit the thicker package.

I'd have to dig up the specs to give you the exact numbers, but the wide frames from Spotlight are all the same as far as depth goes, they will all hold items up to .25".

The standard frame depths do vary so you would need to let Rob at Spotlight know how deep you need the frame to be so that they can pick out the correct profile.

Ive found that if you have a poster with foam core backing and the top overlay the .25" of the wide frames is just fine. But if you want to add anything else like a matte you would want the standard frames that go as deep as .5"

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
If you go with the thicker profile, you also need to be aware that framing is more difficult because the internal ridge the poster rests against is only 1/4 inch deep
-Jay-

Ringwar

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
Just placed the order with spotlight.

guest8

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »
Just placed the order with spotlight.

Did you tell him you were from APF for the discount?? ;)

Ringwar

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
I did mention APF in our emails but i'm also a veteran. He gave me a discount but I don't know if it was for APF or being a veteran.

guest8

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Awesome, good deal! Congrats on the new frame! :)

I see you live in MI, Rob is just over in IL, depending on when he submits the order you could have it here in a day or two.