Author Topic: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?  (Read 42741 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Why are there no million dollar movie posters?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »
Like fine art in the past, it is just a matter of time. When one thinks about some of the multi million dollar pieces of fine art, vs what they sold for when "new," one can see a potential here, especially for an only known copy of a highly desirable or rare poster. If only one copy is known to exist, then it is similar to an original work of art, in that no others are out there (potentially). Like a painting, it is unique, in that regard.

As mentioned, all it will take are 2 deep pocketed players who REALLY want something in that poster realm to push the $1 mil price tag. (The Frankie 6 sheet if it ever goes on the block? Or the Metropolis 3 sheet, down the road?)

Cheret and Mucha's beautiful advertising and theater posters from the late 19th/early 20th C are today often seen as a fine art form --and they are, imo. Film posters from the early 20th C were created the same way; true artists created the "stones" (plates) from which those incredible lithos were created. Just because these are for film, and not for tobacco or advertising the dates for the then upcoming Paris Opera Bal Masque, doesn't make them any different on their base level (and when done with the same artistic attention to detail and finery).

When will the million dollar movie poster sale happen? Know one can say. But i don't think it wont "never" happen.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:37:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4251

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »

eyeroll  I've seen a few Million dollar posters for sale on eBay over the years  ;D

dario.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »
eyeroll  I've seen a few Million dollar posters for sale on eBay over the years  ;D

dario.

:D ;D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »

dario.

laugh1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
You guys obviously missed out on these:

And my personal favourite!

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
 laugh1 laugh1

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »
Damn! I gotta see the hockey puck film NOW,!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
It got me thinking, because I was sure I had seen one but had to check my stock holding, sure enough I actually have one of those posters for sale, and I offer it here first - as a bonus I will throw in the other one - FREE!

So just so we are clear, that's...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l91ISfcuzDw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/l91ISfcuzDw</a>

for this...

Dog is not included, nor is freight, insurance or your local taxes, also it is plus BP (33%). But I will personally delivery it.

PM me for bank details.
David

Matt

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »
Can you change your mind about the dog? I'll pay freight.  ;D

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 03:15:49 AM »
one meel-yun dollars

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:19 AM »
With inflation, there will be a day when a Mexican lobby card for pretty woman will be worth a million dollars, and a rusty paperclip worth two.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:18 AM »
Can you change your mind about the dog? I'll pay freight.  ;D

Might as mail you my nuts now...because they wouldn't be attached to my body if I sold her.
David

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:43 AM »
Is this a trick question?
Something along the lines of "since all those other auctions houses fill their results with fake sales, why haven't they faked a million dollar sale (and all the great positive publicity that comes with such a thing)?"

It seems to me you have a personal vendetta against Bruce which evidently stems from the fake auction comments.
Bruce never said ALL auction houses are filled with fake sales; just some and that's the unfortunate truth.

He made a post much like a blogger would; to engage the community, not to cause offence, yet you jumped on it immediately criticising him.
Rather than continually attack him, don't you think it would be wiser to concentrate on your own auction site?

Bruce - there is no point asking to have threads or posts deleted.
They simply won't do it for the foundations this forum is built on; zero censorship (unless you go against forum rules as according to T lol).

ANYWAY...
If the Metropolis US one sheet is ever found, then that will be what tops the million mark IMO.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »
Blah
An Error Has Occurred!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
It seems to me you have a personal vendetta against Bruce which evidently stems from the fake auction comments.
Bruce never said ALL auction houses are filled with fake sales; just some and that's the unfortunate truth.

He made a post much like a blogger would; to engage the community, not to cause offence, yet you jumped on it immediately criticising him.
Rather than continually attack him, don't you think it would be wiser to concentrate on your own auction site?

Bruce - there is no point asking to have threads or posts deleted.
They simply won't do it for the foundations this forum is built on; zero censorship (unless you go against forum rules as according to T lol).

ANYWAY...
If the Metropolis US one sheet is ever found, then that will be what tops the million mark IMO.

Absolutely not. I have the utmost respect for Bruce and all he has done. I just get tired of seeing his constant attacks on Heritage, to me they really undermine all the good he does.
And certainly he is calling out Heritage when he makes a comment like this: "Not only are some high results cancelled with no explanation, but the "sale" goes up on that auction's website and stays there, even though that result never happened."

Anyways, I think there is a 99% chance that if a Metropolis one-sheet is found that it will NOT sell for a million dollars (unless you personally know someone who will pay that price no questions asked or something). One, it is hard to imagine it being worth more than the best country of origin poster for the title; and two, when the US insert has trouble finding a buyer at $50K, how could the one-sheet possibly be worth 20x that amount?

PS - I am not affiliated with Movie Poster Exchange any longer. I realized early on that due to the demands of my "real" job that I couldn't give it the time it deserved. But I think it's a pretty awesome site and Peter is doing a great job with it so I certainly don' mind plugging the site.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
I apologise, I did not know you were no longer part of the MPE site.

Everybody on every forum has their own agenda.
IMO, Bruce's is simply he wishes to promote his auction site as much as possible at every opportunity here.
Take the post above directed to me...I am already a member of his email club etc (and he will know this) yet he turned it into a promotional piece for his website, which is clever, and there's nothing wrong with that as that is what Bruce does.

I can understand Bruce's decision to limit his participation here.
This forum suffers because of favouritism and lack of moderation.

I'm surprised nobody else has built another poster forum to rival the likes of APF and MPF.

To be honest, I'm just tired of seeing people berated on here; often for little to no reason - mostly due to some personal, illogical, egotistical stance (I'm not talking about you in case get I accused of doing so lol).
Best wishes,
Adam

Charlie

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Hahaha  I know why.... I've not won the lottery yet, therefore no need to get in touch with Ralph... 

Another thought - If I could afford a million dollar poster, Why wouldn't I just buy a million dollar piece of art?  Since we can conclude to poster collectors are in it for the view and association with the film.  But I would probably put my million into a piece of art for the appreciation aspects.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
I apologise, I did not know you were no longer part of the MPE site.
Everybody on every forum has their own agenda.
IMO, Bruce's is simply he wishes to promote his auction site as much as possible at every opportunity here.
I can understand Bruce's decision to limit his participation here.
This forum suffers because of favouritism and lack of moderation.
I'm surprised nobody else has built another poster forum to rival the likes of APF and MPF.

To be honest, I'm just tired of seeing people berated on here; often for little to no reason - mostly due to some personal, illogical, egotistical stance (I'm not talking about you in case get I accused of doing so lol).

No biggie and thanks for the apology but not necessary.
It's just tiring to see Bruce always attacking Heritage when I don't think I've ever seen them attack him.

There used to be a fantastic forum called Movie Poster Talk and pretty much everybody was a member, but it got bogged down in the same stuff we see going on here.

So back to million dollar posters...

If it were to happen, the Frankenstein 6-sheet might be a good choice - but it's likely that poster is off the market for the next 25+ years, so every other contender has a much better chance of being first.
I think that sci-fi/horror has a better chance than classic cinema (unfortunately) because the gap is so wide that it will take a long time for classic cinema to catch up.
For that reason I really like the better style King Kong 3-sheet as a contender:

it combines the key collecting element of sci-fi/fantasy film with being one of THE classic cinema titles of all time and it has the added benefit of showing one of the most iconic scenes in film.  Something that is sorely missing from a lot of the top posters. It is actually very rare for any of the top selling posters to show a pivotal scene from the film.  Look at Bruce or Heritage's archives and you will see what I mean. (This is one of the reasons the War of the Worlds B-style half sheet is heads and shoulders above the rest of 50s sci-fi posters).

But I think the lack of a price guide is one of the big barriers holding the hobby back. As much as guides get picked on (good and bad), people just feel better about investing/spending when there is a price guide. All the other hobbies Bruce mentioned have one and in many cases the guide has been a key instrument in the hobby's growth.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I see your point about the Heritage jabs.

I fully agree about the price guide point.
Imagine if there was no price guide for cars?
In the UK, we predominantly use Glass's for trade and retail and without it, it would be like estate agency.

LAMP's price guide a few years ago was decent, but the better ones were Jon Warren's (if I remember rightly).

It's interesting you mention King Kong. I don't know much about the early film posters, but I do have a little story about a King Kong poster.
One of my mates was once a police officer here in the UK, in London. One evening he was called out to a break-in and he and his partner entered the house and found a window had been smashed and several items taken. But the fascinating thing for my mate, who was a poster collector at the time, was and I quote "The King Kong poster the old guy had framed on the wall was still there!". My mate said it was definitely a first release and said it was either three or six sheet in size (I can't remember which one). Now can you imagine if this old guy decides to sell it some day? Sitting on a small fortune there!

I think the point regarding the Metropolis US one sheet is that not a single copy has ever been found and so collectors of these items would go mental if one was found.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
Well the other dynamic is that some of the other candidates for "First Million Dollar Poster" ...like the fishler frankie 6 sheet ...and a singular Metropolis 3 sheet...have never been auctioned by themselves in a major auction yet..they were private sales and the metropolis poster was part of a group ....not to mention if something like a mummy 6 sheet or 3 sheet was discovered...in a better market ...who knows?!?!
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I see your point about the Heritage jabs.

B I N G O

and it isn't just Heritage he jabs.
If you're going to try to stick it to people, you have to be able to stand criticism yourself.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Another reason, I think anyway, is a lot of film material collectors like to keep some of what they have quiet. I know of one who has about 500 lobby cards for the 20'-30's which he purchased before many on this forum were even born and no one knows what's in his collection, but he has allowed me to see the boxes they are kept in and pulling out random cards, there were some really choice ones!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
Quote from: bondposters
I think the point regarding the Metropolis US one sheet is that not a single copy has ever been found and so collectors of these items would go mental if one was found.

This is true that one hasn't come up before, and I think that is why something like the Frankenstein insert (also previously unknown) went for such a crazy price even though it was fairly heavily restored. But other unique pieces have come to auction before and sometimes spectacularly failed, like Todd's Bride of Frankenstein one-sheet, and even when Bruce tried to auction the only known Frankenstein teaser one-sheet it failed to meet a much more reasonable reserve ($250K if I remember correctly, and this was after a regular one-sheet had sold for $198K and the Mummy had "sold" for $451K - now that is an actual suspicious sale.)
The strong price Heritage got for the lesser style Kong 3-sheet is a step in the right direction, but it remains to be seen if that purchaser has an appetite for other titles as well (and if more competition will step up to challenge him).

Quote from: filmlobbycards
Well the other dynamic is that some of the other candidates for "First Million Dollar Poster" ...like the fishler frankie 6 sheet ...and a singular Metropolis 3 sheet...have never been auctioned by themselves in a major auction yet..they were private sales and the metropolis poster was part of a group ....not to mention if something like a mummy 6 sheet or 3 sheet was discovered...in a better market ...who knows?!?!

Actually the Metropolis 3-sheet has been auctioned before, and the last time it was auctioned it was several years after the "record" $451K paid for the Mummy 1-sheet. And it got a single bid at the minimum of $200K. And of course there is a beautiful Mummy 3-sheet known and it was offered around a few years back to the key players for a price under $500K and a buyer could not be found. If it went for public auction, who knows? But again, as beautiful as a piece that it is (and it is simply amazing in person) it is hard to explain to the general public why a poster for a "lesser" title should be a million dollar item. That is why I keep coming back to the King Kong 3-sheet - it is something that is easy to understand why it "should" be a million dollar poster.
I had a really wise dealer friend once tell me that if it takes more than a sentence or two to explain to the public why an item should be valued at what it is, then it is really hard for the item to hold it's value: First appearance of Superman, Mickey Mantle rookie, James Bond's Aston Martin, Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, etc.
Mummy 3-sheet just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I know of one who has about 500 lobby cards for the 20'-30's which he purchased before many on this forum were even born and no one knows what's in his collection, but he has allowed me to see the boxes they are kept in and pulling out random cards, there were some really choice ones!

Speaking of choice early lobbies - did anyone see the incredible selection in the upcoming Heritage auction?  Tons of amazing things that haven't come up for auction in decades, if at all before.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
That is why I keep coming back to the King Kong 3-sheet - it is something that is easy to understand why it "should" be a million dollar poster.
I had a really wise dealer friend once tell me that if it takes more than a sentence or two to explain to the public why an item should be valued at what it is, then it is really hard for the item to hold it's value: First appearance of Superman, Mickey Mantle rookie, James Bond's Aston Martin, Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, etc.
Mummy 3-sheet just doesn't have the same ring to it.

perfectly stated

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Speaking of choice early lobbies - did anyone see the incredible selection in the upcoming Heritage auction?  Tons of amazing things that haven't come up for auction in decades, if at all before.

Not just lobbies either! I'm scared to check on their listing progress... every time I look there are more and more crazy amazing and rare posters.