Author Topic: Annoying Ebay Seller  (Read 62284 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Annoying Ebay Seller
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
Bought something from a guy a month or so ago, never got around to leaving him feedback (I don't typically leave feedback for EVERYTHING I buy), now for about a week and a half he emails me every other day asking me to leave him feedback and it's getting REALLY annoying.  I've been ignoring him because frankly when someone asks for positive feedback I definitely don't feel like leaving it.  I have never replied to his messages because I don't want to get into it, but he appears to be a psycho because he keeps on messaging me!  Anyone had this happen before?  I feel like leaving him negative feedback just for being an annoyance but since he's obviously a nutcase I don't want to set him off, I don't have time to deal with more drama.  Would these messages be worth reporting to eBay as "harassing", even though he's not threatening me he's not leaving me alone.  I guess he thinks if he emails me every day I'll finally breakdown and leave him feedback. This is on a side eBay account that I opened up just to purchase stuff, I don't sell anything off it, but I'm getting tired of getting these messages!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Annoying Ebay Seller
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »
If I were you, I would just keep playing with your boobs

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Why not reply to his email ? Say you will if and when you feel like and please stop emailing me.
Probably quicker than the above post and will probably stop the emails.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:20:24 PM »
Why not reply to his email ? Say you will if and when you feel like and please stop emailing me.
Probably quicker than the above post and will probably stop the emails.

Depends how good it feels of course
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 01:02:07 AM »
Did you get the item you wanted in a timely fashion and not damaged? Was it as described? If so, and all was good with the transaction, why not leave him positive feedback? Feedback is part of how ebay works and many sellers (and buyers) like to know if they did a good (or bad) job.

If you were happy and all went well, then just do it. The emails will stop (which I agree can get annoying).  ;)

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:42 AM »
Did you get the item you wanted in a timely fashion and not damaged? Was it as described? If so, and all was good with the transaction, why not leave him positive feedback? Feedback is part of how ebay works and many sellers (and buyers) like to know if they did a good (or bad) job.

If you were happy and all went well, then just do it. The emails will stop (which I agree can get annoying).  ;)

+1 I agree with Jeff. If everything was okay and you received the item and the packaging was great and you got it in a timely manner then I would just leave the feedback so the seller will leave you the hell alone. I have been there before and I figured it was just easier to leave feedback then to deal with countless messages. The messages will stop once feedback is left. It only takes a minute to leave feedback.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
I got to say Jim, I agree with Jeff and Randy...  Just leave it and No more annoyance.
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:53 AM »
+ 1 Add one more into that basket :)

guest8

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »
The constant emails are actually your fault. Unless the seller did something to warrant a negative feedback during your transaction and you're being nice by not leaving any instead of a negative. It is your responsibility to leave appropriate feedback. I sometimes forget and don't leave any feedback but if someone wanted me to enough to message me Id do it. You're only making it worse by ignoring him, you know how ebay works and how important feedback is to a seller especially if its positive feedback. So just do the right thing and leave him positive feedback, unless he did something wrong during the transaction then leave him negative. But, if he deserves positive don't be mean/vindictive about his requests and give him a negative, just because you found his requests annoying.

Soo .. TL;DR .. +4 or +5 or whatever number were on now.   

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
When did it become a rule to leave feedback? It's optional. Besides everyone know if you leave negative feedback the seller can get it removed, so it's not really feedback is it?

The retail world online or offline has survived without feedback being necessary or required, I would remind everyone that the biggest dealers in our hobby seem to have flourished without feedback being necessary or demanded (I might add so has the smallest...but I digress  ;) ).

While a lot of people buy based on feedback of the seller just as many buy based on price or the fact that a particular item is being offered and yes and some may get burned along the way but at the end of the day what does feedback do, really? And when you've answered that let me add one word 'Loce'.

Leave or don't leave it, it's simply up to the buyer and no, the seller shouldn't be sending constant emails asking for it. That said Jim, you should have responded to their email the first time round or have left feedback, being annoyed they are constantly emailing you and yet you haven't replied is the rod you've made for your own back.
David

guest8

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
Loce is the exception not the rule.. I believe most feedback is legit.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
The reality is Loce is not the exception: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1233.0.html

bradburied - 99.8% positive feedback and yet: Thierry: "Fakes fakes fakes fakes and a few originals"
Dragonbirdlw - 99.9% positive feedback and yet: Thierry: Avoid, avoid, avoid"
Granadaposters - 99.8% positive feedback and yet: Choptop: "more than one poor outcome"
movieposterbargains - 99.9% positive feedback and yet: (insert name of ripped off member and comments here: [_______________])

...and so on.

So basically Feedback adds up to a pile of beans because 'legit' negative ones can be removed.
David

guest8

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
You are listing off 4 of what maybe a dozen people who know how to game the system vs how many tens if not hundreds of thousands of other sellers that use ebay. There are always going to be "those people" who work the system how it is NOT supposed to be used for personal gain. But that doesnt mean the system is without merit and is totally pointless.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
I very much agree with you fallen.

Legitimate positive (or if necessary, negative) feedback left for the the vast majority of legitimate sellers and buyers is of value and part of how others can pick and choose who they may want to buy from in the future.

And while the feedback system may have its shortcomings, (like most things), it still does have its benefits.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
I am not saying people should not leave feedback, I am saying it should be a matter of choice and not a requirement which some of the commentators here seem to be saying. I am also asking if you can't leave negative feedback then what is the point of feedback?
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
Dave, negative feedback is left all the time-- and is retained.. I think, tho, the 'schemers and players' are the ones that complain to ebay the most loudly, and are usually the ones that try and get them removed.  :P

But the 'avg joe' seller, may show both negs and positives. If the negs were warranted and the seller or buyer knows it.. then they may remain in place. I sure have seen enough (and read carefully) those sellers that may have a smattering of negs in the last 12 months.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »
It seems like everyone is up in the air about it. I personally leave feedback simply because I know It will benefit other buyers. So if you do not leave feedback I don't want to hear from anyone check their feedback when it comes to an ebay seller question. I think that I have heard this from numerous people on here. I think it is the right thing to do and to leave feedback. But to each their own. I just do not want to hear people say well check their feedback. Just my two cents worth.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »
I've never not, takes two seconds, no big deal
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
I think I may know the answer. I am on a forum of high volume eBay sellers (a left over from my days of doing such) and I have read that eBay now will greatly restrict sellers as to how much they can list if they get a few bad DSRs left for them. So those sellers are then told that they will have the restriction lifted once their ratings improve, but they can only list a few items at a time, so it is a kind of Catch-22, and I have seen long time sellers advise those guys to email past buyers who didn't leave feedback to ask them to do so, to improve their averages. It may not be the answer, but it might well be.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
Since you are the buyer, did he leave you positive feedback already or is he playing the feedback hostage game?

My personal opinion is that the buyer should receive feedback first, and as soon as they pay and live up to their end of the agreement. Once payment has been received (in a timely manner, yada yada yada), the buyer no longer has any obligation to the deal and should be rated as how they met the payment obligation. However, many sellers feel that buyer feedback should only be given AFTER they receive positive feedback first. Since their obligations are significantly more and on-going (shipping the item timely, properly, etc.), their feedback should be given after.

On the rare occasions that I sell, I always give positive feedback as soon as payment clears. On the somewhat occasional times that I buy on eBay, I never give feedback until after it has been given to me. As a result, I quite often don't receive buyer feedback because I refuse to play those games with sellers.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
I do look at feedback, and think it should be given what ever the service was like. I've left many a negative due to poor service of one kind or another..

I also think the seller should give feedback first, and that the buyer should not be able to leave theirs until the seller has given his.
But ebay is getting worst by the week, so...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »
I bought some records from the guy.  I typically don't leave feedback until I've listened to them, which I haven't.  I didn't respond to him because I'm quite busy right now, and this guy doesn't appear to get the clue, so even if I told him I'll leave it when I get around to it I feel he'd still keep bugging me.  Normal people would not keep emailing you to remind you to leave feedback, especially when you've not responded, most people would leave it alone.  99% of eBay sellers don't email you at all, frankly feedback is optional not required. At this point I'm neither pleased or displeased with what I've received, but I don't feel obligated to leave him positive feedback just to get him off my case.  I don't appreciate being bugged to leave feedback, whether I respond to his messages or not, I'm only required to pay the guy not to respond to all his inquires.  For the time being I've blocked eBay from sending me notifications that he's sent me messages so it's no longer an annoyance, and it being an account I don't access very often I don't have to see them, but I logged on today and saw he sent me two messages within a three minute period!  Now I'm just interested in seeing how long this guy is going to keep this up.  Will he go the entire 60 days? I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps emailing me after the point I can't leave feedback!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:51:07 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

guest8

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:56 AM »
With the amount of time and effort you've put into ignoring him, posting about him on here and even blocking him on ebay and logging in to see what other messages he has sent you after you blocked him ... I dont know if I buy the whole "im too busy to respond to his messages." bit. Since you have a reason for not leaving feedback, I understand you want to listen to the records first and may not have had time to do that. I still believe a simple email to him stating that would suffice. I mean you basically typed us the email you should have sent him in your last post. I believe if you had sent that to him instead of all of us, he would have left you alone ... until day 55. ;) So I dont feel sorry for you in this situation, the seller may be annoying but youre only making it worse by ignoring him and making it a bigger deal than it has to be.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
You have listened to some of the records, said you were not displeased with them, yet you seemingly are now "toying" with him and this whole feedback issue.

Leave him feedback and it will all be done and done. And while not required, feedback is looked at by many future buyers and sellers.

As fallenangel said, you have taken the time to post here, and check up on him.

Leaving him feedback would take all of 2 minutes (if that). Did this seller leave you feedback?

Why your continued delay?  :-\

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
With the amount of time and effort you've put into ignoring him, posting about him on here and even blocking him on ebay and logging in to see what other messages he has sent you after you blocked him ... I dont know if I buy the whole "im too busy to respond to his messages." bit. Since you have a reason for not leaving feedback, I understand you want to listen to the records first and may not have had time to do that. I still believe a simple email to him stating that would suffice. I mean you basically typed us the email you should have sent him in your last post. I believe if you had sent that to him instead of all of us, he would have left you alone ... until day 55. ;) So I dont feel sorry for you in this situation, the seller may be annoying but youre only making it worse by ignoring him and making it a bigger deal than it has to be.

The point was I didn't want to get into a discussion with him, I've dealt with enough nutty people on eBay to know when to just leave it alone responding would have not made it go away faster.  And my reason for posting was not to gain any sympathy but merely to see if anyone else has experienced this before.  Anyhow he stopped after the 45 day period, actually it became less annoying and more a little amusing to see how long he was going to keep it up.  My not responding probably annoyed him more than it ever annoyed me in the beginning.

You have listened to some of the records, said you were not displeased with them, yet you seemingly are now "toying" with him and this whole feedback issue.

I hadn't listened to them, that was part of the point, plus I don't like when people beg for feedback, maybe that doesn't annoy most of you but when people do that I'm less likely to be inclined to leave it, and I know I'm not alone in that thinking.  There are many topics on eBay from people who have experienced the same type of thing, some with sellers who actually become pretty nasty.  Anyhow my not leaving any feedback doesn't hinder any other buyers experiences, I could have left him neutral and commented on it but I really saw no point, typically it appears from what I've read pestering buyers for feedback usually doesn't end up well for them.