Author Topic: 'Bout done with eBay...  (Read 5080 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
'Bout done with eBay...
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
I know it is an overdone topic, but with each purchase I make on ebay, the more and more I am less likely to even mess with it.
Been collecting for over 15 years now, never really hit a stride until finding the MPF about 7 years ago and 'meeting' most of you, but I am finally at the point where I shudder to think about perusing ebay anymore.

Latest debacle:

Seller take my best offer at a price I am pleased with. I know he is not a dealer, and like most non-dealer buys, I offer up concerns about packaging and the like.
I even offered to send along a yazoo tube with a poster sleeve at my cost and everything.

He says 'No thanks, these tubes are great, I get them at Staples'.

Me: 'Rule of thumb is to not use a tube if you can squeeze as hard as you can and it makes an indentation. Also, the poster needs to be protected inside the tube so it doesn't move around, unravel against the tube wall, blah blah blah'.

Him: 'No, you will be fine, I will take care of it, no worries for sure'.

Poster gets here, tube is kinda smashed, pure miracle the poster wasn't ruined. But it was just thrown in the tube without any sleeve and the like, so I had to perform emergency surgery and rescue the poster from the jaws of death. Also the condition isn't what he said...its not horrible, but he definitely doesn't know grading. So now I am going to message him that this is a big fat 'neutral' oncoming in my feedback efforts.

I know...I should know better...but the allure of a good if not great deal on ebay is so hard to pass up.
I am sure we have all gotten insane deals, and trust me, I could go on and on about stuff I grabbed for NOTHING when Bruce and company get hundreds if not thousands a pop on a particular piece.

Not trying to start a eMovie ad campaign here (I get it Bruce, you da man), and I generally agree with Thierry and shy away from dealers for several reasons, but......but..................sigh.

Ok, APF..glad we had this little talk. Gonna put my head through this wall now.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

Re: 'Bout done with eBay...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
I appreciate the kind words, but you are making a common error.

You AREN'T "buying from eBay", you are buying from an individual who sells there.

So while it is fine to say, I am 'Bout done with sellers unknown to me on eBay, it is WAY unfair to stop buying from Dale Dilts or Dave Rosen or any of the other many fine eBay dealers.

If a (fill in the blank color) person wronged you, would you say "I am 'bout done with those (fill in the blank) colored people"?

Those deals that seem too good to be true often are, so if you like buying lottery tickets keep buying from sellers unknown to you, and if you can't take the ups and downs of such experiences, then don't. That's why I personally quit buying from such sellers, after being one of eBay's best buyers for at least five years.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
I appreciate the kind words, but you are making a common error.

You AREN'T "buying from eBay", you are buying from an individual who sells there.

So while it is fine to say, I am 'Bout done with sellers unknown to me on eBay, it is WAY unfair to stop buying from Dale Dilts or Dave Rosen or any of the other many fine eBay dealers.

If a (fill in the blank color) person wronged you, would you say "I am 'bout done with those (fill in the blank) colored people"?

Those deals that seem too good to be true often are, so if you like buying lottery tickets keep buying from sellers unknown to you, and if you can't take the ups and downs of such experiences, then don't. That's why I personally quit buying from such sellers, after being one of eBay's best buyers for at least five years.

I agree, and figured this goes without saying to be honest. Of course I would by from Dale, etc...

Perhaps a better launch with this topic would be 'unknown sellers on ebay'. Also, and as we all know, some guy who has a movie poster to sell is a whole ball of wax separated from unknown dealers on ebay...different levels.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »
I agree, and figured this goes without saying to be honest. Of course I would by from Dale, etc...

Perhaps a better launch with this topic would be 'unknown sellers on ebay'. Also, and as we all know, some guy who has a movie poster to sell is a whole ball of wax separated from unknown dealers on ebay...different levels.

Then we are in total agreement! Where's the fun in that?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
That seller seems a bit of a joke having read your advice about packaging to then send you the poster in a terrible way.

I sent Mel a link ages ago on how to package posters properly and he used it on his website or did something himself based on the video, but I can't find the link so ask Mel for it and my advice would be to send the link to each private seller you buy from (or dealer that is not used to selling posters) and ask them to watch the video on how to package the poster. I think Mel said it works for him and I am sure other people have done similar things too.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Let's face it.

We're all too spoiled with Bruce's shipping that nothing short of receiving a poster held in a suspended stasis field, enclosed in a bullet proof adamantium case, delivered by a white gloved private courier will be considered acceptable any longer.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:06:02 PM »
Let's face it.

We're all too spoiled with Bruce's shipping that nothing short of receiving a poster held in a suspended stasis field, enclosed in a bullet proof adamantium case, delivered by a white gloved private courier will be considered acceptable any longer.

Lol. Doubt anyone could complain about Bruce's shipping! :-)
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
Lol. Doubt anyone could complain about Bruce's shipping! :-)

Wouldn't be too hard to find the complaints made by members here..."too much paper", "too much tape can't open package", "the peanuts you use are annoying and make a mess", "thanks for the free tickets to the swedish women's beach volleyball finals, but I don't like sitting in the front"...
David

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
Wouldn't be too hard to find the complaints made by members here..."too much paper", "too much tape can't open package", "the peanuts you use are annoying and make a mess", "thanks for the free tickets to the swedish women's beach volleyball finals, but I don't like sitting in the front"...

Ha ha!
Best wishes,
Adam

guest8

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
I dont think Bruce does this .. BUT .. there is such a thing as over packing ... Like whats this new thing with using saran wrap !!?? Also, if you use tape to hold the roll tight.. be sure to make it easy to remove! Ive nearly crushed posters just trying to peal the tape off or risk cutting through everything.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »
"Over-packing" is a two-edged sword we have dealt with since time began.

Customers want tubes light enough to go First Class International, but they DON'T want ones that can get crushed, and that is an "immovable object/irresistible force" kind of deal.

They want tape that is easy to get off, but WON'T come loose during shipping, and if there IS such a tape, I don't know what it is.

Etc, etc!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
I'd rather take 30 minutes to open an 'overly secure' package then spend 3 days crying over a mangled poster!
Chris

guest8

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
"Over-packing" is a two-edged sword we have dealt with since time began.

Customers want tubes light enough to go First Class International, but they DON'T want ones that can get crushed, and that is an "immovable object/irresistible force" kind of deal.

They want tape that is easy to get off, but WON'T come loose during shipping, and if there IS such a tape, I don't know what it is.

Etc, etc!

I dog ear the tap so that there is a "tab" so as they can pull it off without incident. As for the other stuff, I have learned that the fewer choices you give people the better. You make a policy and stick to it, I only ship via priority or express mail and I use my best judgement on what tubes to use. The shipping is more expensive but its fast and (usually) reliable. As long as I am upfront about my "policy" and the costs most people don't have too much to say about it, other than, "boy that got here fast!"

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
Well, my .02, the market I am in is soo cut throat on pricing I have to do all I can to get the posters home safely, BUT as cheaply as possible materials wise to be able to offer reaonable shipping AND reasonable pricing. USPS has really put a dagger in the international market with the last increase, I had to increase rates by 50% there. Domestically I could hold rates one more time, but the next increase put me at a loss with most shipments.

I absolutely hate that brown craft tape, but I understand the reason for using it.