Author Topic: Great Collections  (Read 7502 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Great Collections
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
This was in desperate need of a separate thread.

I stopped by Ron's store yesterday and chatted a while.  As I was standing there, he pulled out an original 1933 King Kong pressbook, which I HAD to photograph to show you guys.  Check out the gorgeous color pages, and THE PRICE of the posters.  THE PRICE!!!

PS: Carson, you won, I'm going next week.  He said I should put a few hours aside to see it all.

T

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:18:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Ron Borst
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:09:38 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for sharing Thierry...

I believe he has almost the entire pressbook reproduced in Graven Images...
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
BTW, if anyone's interested, this pressbook is for sale at $15,000.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
I have one of those, with condition issues. It is one of the absolute best pressbooks ever made!

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
That pressbook is in amazing condition considering it was printed 77 years ago!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
A Kong pressbook for only 15K?
Me and the boys are on it. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
I have one of those, with condition issues. It is one of the absolute best pressbooks ever made!

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

I don't remember ever talking about your collection (which is why I changed the title of this thread).  We all know you as a great dealer, but your post made me realize we don't know much about your personal collection, and I, for one, would love to know. 

We must all sound so amateurish...

Do tell.

T
My Personal Collection

Bruce

Re: Great Collections (aka Ron Borst)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
I think my interest started because I was a comic book collector and dealer from 1966 to 1976, but when I first saw a pressbook, I was super-impressed, and was amazed that they almost always cost less than anything else on a movie, and less than a single good scene card. When I saw some older pressbooks, especially the MGMs, where the covers are exactly the same as the window cards, in full color, I was hooked.

This was in the mid-1980s. I started buying every large group of pressbooks that were out there, and I bought many thousands, and lots of them were just a couple of dollars each, and sometimes less, and the better older ones were mostly $25 to $100. When eBay came along, a lot of former theater owners and their families started putting lots of pressbooks online, and I bought thousands more.

Around five years ago I made a big effort to start organizing them. I had at least 25,000. I first sorted out all the ones from the 1960s and 1970s (they pretty much quit making them at the end of the 1970s, when presskits took over). I compared what I had from 1960 on to my database and found I had all but the most obscure titles.

I did some sorting on the 1950s and earlier, but then got sidetracked when my auctions really took off. A wild estimate would be that I have maybe 50% of all the titles from the 1950s, and maybe 25% each from the 1940s and 1930s, and maybe 10% from before 1930.

I used to check eBay every day for pressbooks, but I started finding so little that I quit a couple of years ago.

I have some great ones (like King Kong, Bride and Son of Frankenstein, GWTW, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz) but am missing a lot of the very best ones, because they are SO expensive and/or rare.

I still occasionally buy some large groups of them, and I long for the day I can get them fully organized. Imagine a website where every page of every one I have was available for reference?

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
So Bruce is does the major part of your poster-related collection consist of pressbooks?

Do you have any "special" posters in your collection?
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
collecting is a disease comparable to being a habitual gambler, a crack smoker, a shopaholic, alchoholic and whatever else

as soon as you sell one collection you almost always start another, even if it's an entirely different hobby

I used to have one o fthe best comic art collections in the world. I dispersed most of that collection and now I'm trying to create a great collection of movie posters. It doesn't matter how much stuff you get or how good it is, it's never good enough. I need more, more, MORE!

I suspect it will only end when I am utterly, completely and irrevocably dead.

I wonder if Jeannie will visit me then?????

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
I mostly only collect pressbooks, as far as movie paper goes. I have around 1,000 travel and war posters, a collection of 300 reverse painted glass frames, hundreds of items from the 1939 New York World's Fair, and more (as Rich says, collecting is a disease!). I have over 100 of the 22" x 28" "personality posters from the 1910s to 1940s, made by all the top studios. One of my customers once sold me his massive collection of sexploitation posters from the 1960s and 1970s, and it all just sits in boxes.

Other than the above, I only have a few dozen other movie posters, mostly really great ones that I managed to hang onto over the years. Sometimes I will sell one of them, and I never look back with regret at what I have sold, because I am always looking forward to that next acquisition!

Some really inexpensive posters interest me just as much as really expensive ones. There were several special single sexy girl posters made for "Pretty Maids All in a Row" and I have three of them, and would like to find more (if there are any; I have the pressbook, and they are not pictured).

I feel blessed to have have all that I have had pass through my hands over the years. The important thing to remember is that none of us are taking anything with us, so we are just temporary curators of our collections, and what we really get from them is all the joy they give to us, and if you aren't having fun collecting, then you are clearly doing something wrong!

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
I'm not sure if this falls within "great collections" but who the $%# is "Ralph DeLuca"?  He claims he spends $1 million a year collecting posters.  Is this for real?  Is he some kind of dealer?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Great Collections
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Thierry,
If Mr.Borst is not already on APF, why isn't he?  It would be great to see him posting his stuff here for all to see.  Talk him into it, T.
He has great stories to tell, great images to share.
He probably knows more about the Ackerman Collection than anyone.
And he probably has pics from that too.
That pressbook is amazing.  Just think, 9 cents for a Kong 1 sheet..

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
Is it bad that I cringe every time I see these photos because Mr. Borst is handling the Kong press book with his bare acid-filled hands?

Of course this is assuming that Mr. Borst's hands act like the rest of ours...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
Is it bad that I cringe every time I see these photos because Mr. Borst is handling the Kong press book with his bare acid-filled hands?

Of course this is assuming that Mr. Borst's hands act like the rest of ours...
well it's better than me pissing on a stack of posters stored next to the toilet bowl with my Frankenstein & Dracula one sheets waiting to be framed next to the shower

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 10:55:25 PM »
we had a client, who came in with a 50K banknote inside an evelope, he wanted to sell it, grabbed a pair of scissors off the countor, and snipped the edge of the envelope, and managed to take the edge of the banknote with it,you think poster collectors are fussy? there went half the value in one small snip.
Poor fella pretended not to care and ran out red faced, never seen him again
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
Of course the greatest of all such blunders was when Steve Wynn, who had just sold a painting for $145 MILLION, and was showing it off at a press conference, put his elbow through the painting (but it is more understandable, since he is nearly blind from retinitis pigmentosa).

Bruce

wonka

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
That is crazy, Bruce...I wonder if a video exists of this blunder...wow, how terrible.

Thierry, to what extent do you feel or know Ron is comfortable with your photography chronicles in any subsequent visits? 
Just being selfish, I would love to see more pics...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
wonka.. keep in minds, the size of the hole in the $139million Picasso was only the size of a quarter.. It did however queer the deal and instead of $139million, Steve Wynn had a million dollar restoration bill & still owns the painting

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
This was in desperate need of a separate thread.

I stopped by Ron's store yesterday and chatted a while.  As I was standing there, he pulled out an original 1933 King Kong pressbook, which I HAD to photograph to show you guys.  Check out the gorgeous color pages, and THE PRICE of the posters.  THE PRICE!!!

PS: Carson, you won, I'm going next week.  He said I should put a few hours aside to see it all.

T

Now this is a cool pic. I hadnt clicked on this thread before. What a Great looking KONG pressbook, for sure!!  And to see it laid out on Ron Borst's desk like that, too. cool1

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:23:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
I really want to see the White Zombie 6 sheet in person...or at least see it on a wall
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
I need to pay Ron a visit.  He and Margaret asked me countless times to make a trip to their house in Sherman Oaks and I never did.  I need to make the effort.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »
You will be posting some kick ass photos the day after.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
I need to pay Ron a visit.  He and Margaret asked me countless times to make a trip to their house in Sherman Oaks and I never did.  I need to make the effort.

T

You get an invitation like that and do not take the man up on the offer?  Did you get an expired shipment of cheese!?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
I've been wanting to get to Ron's store, too, over in Hollywood. I just haven't gotten there, yet. Even just to say hello, and take a look-see.

Margaret seems very gracious and has always replied and answered any messages I have sent to her.

-Jeff