Author Topic: Photoplay Magazines  (Read 4376 times)

MintyWhite

Photoplay Magazines
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a turn out today and found a whole stash of old Photoplay magazines. A far as I can see I have every issue from January 1968 to December 1982. I think there's more too.

They've all been stored in folders in a chest so there's no rips or wear just a bit of discolouration due to the age! It's great just going through them and seeing the original movie adverts etc.

Are there any value to these?

Any info would be great!

Regards,

MW :D

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Photoplay Magazines
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »
In all honesty, not really.
I reckon Paul (Waines) and Bruce will know more, but I have loads of these too from a previous collection purchase.

I think if there is anything really important or related to a huge name or film, then there could be a little worth, but not much from my experience.
Going through them is great and fascinating.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
I think Adam has it about covered, they are worth a quid or so each, some issues that have Hammer covers may well go in to the £5-10 zone, bit more on a good day. Ari may pay more for one with a poster of Yutte Stensgaard in, as I would with any Caroline Munro articles/posters in, and like-wise for other collectors of specific films or Stars 

On the Whole more of an interesting history of the time...  I tried to sell some of mine a few years back, the only one that went for over a fiver was the Star Wars issue, so I gave up.. Still have them all. You may find someone will give you a price for the job lot if you just want to move them on due to needing the space.
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »
During a pick my dad found me about 150 or these and I ended up just taking out all the movie ads within them.  I was made fun of for having them; even posted a bunch here without response.  I almost lost my "elite" status because of them...  8) 

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6148.0.html#new

I had big plans to scan in the hundreds that I collected but have since just stuck them back in storage... It was very exciting and I had a lot of fun.  Beware of the paper mites though...  They are all in your head!

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
Oh the other cool thing I wish I would have done then that I didn't have knowledge of now is pulling Saul Bass ads... That new book has tons of examples and I now wish I had pulled them as well...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
How did I miss that thread, I did post some myself somewhere... :-\

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Found it, here's mine...maybe they should be merged...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1708.0.html

MintyWhite

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
Thanks all for the input.

I have the Star Wars issues, ironically it was the first folder I picked up! I'm going to have to look through them all and see what's there!

I quite like the idea of framing the trade ads, but I'm reluctant to start cutting the magazine up!

Regards,

MW

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »
Thanks all for the input.

I have the Star Wars issues, ironically it was the first folder I picked up! I'm going to have to look through them all and see what's there!

I quite like the idea of framing the trade ads, but I'm reluctant to start cutting the magazine up!

Regards,

MW

The moment you cut or tear them apart, you will destroy any value they had (no matter how small). If i were you, I would leave them in tact.  ;)

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read the 1968 to 1982...  Funny thing was that after the late 60's the movie ads started to disappear from the mags...  Where a photoplay from 1954 might have 6 poster type ads inside, you were lucky to get one in the 70s issues...  I mainly pulled them out of the ones I had because they (the overall magazines) were in pretty bad shape.  I had to even throw some away because of mold as they had been stored in a barn and the ones that sat in the bottom of the box were hit or miss for mold.  Most showed bug damage etc. flaking covers.

I am not sure that Jeff has it pegged as far as value, my guess is that if you wanted to sell them you could make more on ads cut out of the mags than the mags themselves...  I use to sell ads on the bay for $9.99 and you would be amazed what people would buy...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
I concur with what Charlie says about what you'd be amazed what people would buy.
One of my mates had a poster listed for a stupid price on eBay on purpose--he wasn't bothered about selling it and it served to bring people in--but then last Christmas someone bought it! We're talking about a £150.00 poster and he had it up for £800.00!...

I've stayed away from collecting trade ads so far RE Bond because it's another mine field lol, but me being me, I'm going to get into it!
So if you have any Bond ones MW give me a shout!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »
from the era 1968-1982 you have values of $5 and down at a retail level.
1982 was the final year and after the magazine closed all staff went to US magazine.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Minty,

Your other option could be this, as well (if you are wanting to sell these, that is):

Leave the mags in tact, and snap pics of any movie related ads and highlight those in your listings. Then you have a potential wider market base -- those that want those particular ads and those that may want the same ads but in a magazine that hasn't been cut apart or separated.

Just a thought.

-Jeff

MintyWhite

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
I appreciate all the replies and info.

When I have more spare time I will go through everything as there are so many! I think that eBay maybe the best way forward unless I find something super interesting! In which case it will be shared with you guys! ;D

I will keep an eye out for the Bond ones too!

Regards,

MW