Author Topic: Does collecting ever end?  (Read 88845 times)

Posterodyssey

Re: Does collecting ever end?
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
Sadly,for many of us it will end eventually.Other things become more important.Life happens.
Myself,I've been collecting all kinds of posters since I was a teenager.I love poster art.It's just that simple.
That's never gonna end.

Anthony

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Nope....now where do i put my new PSVista?

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
Nope....now where do i put my new PSVista?

Stew

Stew, you look a little befuddled and lost in that pic..  qip

;)

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
I love Hoarders.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
Today I hit $70,000 net spending on hobby-related purchases since March 20, 2009, about $60 day/$1,800 month.  1,173 posters/prints and 80 or so high-quality frames to show for that dough.

That's either bragging O0 or a cry for help since I've spent the great majority of my discretionary income on this hobby.  

But I still have no answer to the question posed, i.e. does collecting ever end?  The goal line never seems to get any closer.  I'd probably have to spend $70,000 more and add some $5,000+ posters to take my collection to the "elite" level.  Is it worth it?  

But the real news is that I got an email from a TV show wanting to feature my collection.  If it's legit - and it appears to be - and anything comes of it, I'll let y'all know....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:45:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »
Man,  the congrats goes to having the discipline to keep track of purchases for over three years. I can't even decide how to keep track of mine... I need a poster assistant.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Today I hit $70,000 net spending on hobby-related purchases

Oh gawd here we go again

add some $5,000+ posters to take my collection to the "elite" level.  Is it worth it?  

Collect what you like, however I find it better to have a small number of elite posters than tons of non elite posters. However, your display style is different to mine in that you do display so many posters.

But the real news is that I got an email from a TV show wanting to feature my collection.  If it's legit - and it appears to be - and anything comes of it, I'll let y'all know....

That sound exciting  woohoo

Hoarders?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:00:18 PM by 50s »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
I couldn't stand to track mine monetarily.  Would drive me insane!
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I couldn't stand to track mine monetarily.  Would drive me insane!

No shit. I dont wanna know.

I will be checking out the tv thing though. That sounds cool.

Posterodyssey

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2012, 04:26:45 AM »
Today I hit $70,000 net spending on hobby-related purchases since March 20, 2009, about $60 day/$1,800 month.  1,173 posters/prints and 80 or so high-quality frames to show for that dough.

That's either bragging O0 or a cry for help since I've spent the great majority of my discretionary income on this hobby.  

But I still have no answer to the question posed, i.e. does collecting ever end?  The goal line never seems to get any closer.  I'd probably have to spend $70,000 more and add some $5,000+ posters to take my collection to the "elite" level.  Is it worth it?  

Judging by the 'elite' comment I'd say bragging.
Mel,do you not realize comments like this make you sound like an elitist.Poster collecting is not a competition.We are not trying to 'one up' each other,were just collecting what we like.Well,the majority anyway.
If you're in this hobby now just to impress people with posters and knowledge...well,that's just sad.Don't be that guy.

Anthony

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2012, 04:32:47 AM »
Why did Dennis have to die?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
Why did Dennis have to die?

Dennis?  Is that Drac(k)?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
Yes it is Ted, Drak666. Quite a character and one hell of a collector.
 cheers to him
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
I`ve always collected things..my 1st collection was Smurfs,which has been mentioned here before,then coins still have them now..40 years of collecting probably worth very little if I tried to sell them.
Numerous other habits occurred until I eventually found that because of work,I was now collecting posters.

No matter what I collect,the general view from everyone I know that doesn`t share the same feelings,is usually,..."oh,that's nice.Well,erm time for me to go..." ;)

Even elitists like Dwight Cleveland has got to the point where he has to sell just to get by..it must break his heart to sell his collection,but as he has found out,this hobby has very few followers who put as much value on endless years of hunting,buying,sacrificing his free time with his family etc. Just to reach the top of the game.

So i would say collecting never ends for certain people..If it wasn`t posters it would be something else,I admire your passion for our hobby,but perhaps try to be more focused on specific goal posters rather than accumulating what might become,the second largest collection of posters that no one else wants or cares for.
If anything I have typed sounds harsh in any way,it wasn`t meant.

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
Had a 30 minute conversation with a production assistant for the TV show. I explained my collecting history and stories about the hobby, how women generally shun the hobby, how poster fakes are harming the hobby, the online forums, etc. Even though I explained that other collectors have larger collections, they like that I have many framed posters, apparently makes for better TV. They want me to submit a test video by next Thursday, so we'll see what happens. I made very clear that I would not participate if it is a "Crazed Hoarders" kind of show, although I'm probably guilty of that ;)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
Had a 30 minute conversation with a production assistant for the TV show. I explained my collecting history and stories about the hobby, how women generally shun the hobby, how poster fakes are harming the hobby, the online forums, etc. Even though I explained that other collectors have larger collections, they like that I have many framed posters, apparently makes for better TV. They want me to submit a test video by next Thursday, so we'll see what happens. I made very clear that I would not participate if it is a "Crazed Hoarders" kind of show, although I'm probably guilty of that ;)
How did they find you Mel?

I`ve been on TV before and unless its in a signed contract,I would think you will have very little control on editorial content...
You`re apartment would make great tv,though...are you presenting your collection yourself or are you being interviewed?

Stew

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
unless its in a signed contract,I would think you will have very little control on editorial content...

Even with the contract it's VERY easy to make people look however they want you to look with selective editing.  Would certainly depend on the show though.  If it's a "Hoarders" type thing you know how that's going to turn out (badly), if it's just something about folks and what they collect it could be OK.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Even with the contract it's VERY easy to make people look however they want you to look with selective editing.  Would certainly depend on the show though.  If it's a "Hoarders" type thing you know how that's going to turn out (badly), if it's just something about folks and what they collect it could be OK.
+1

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
How did they find you Mel?
Stew

He sent them approx 600 letters.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
Yeah I'm well aware of those issues. Mama didn't raise no fool :)

They probably saw my collection on coolandcollected.com.

Anyway that's all I can say for now. I've been thinking about making some hobby videos anyway....

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:44:59 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
It can't be a hoarders type show because Mel doesn't have any angry wife or girlfriend
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
It can't be a hoarders type show because Mel doesn't have any angry wife or girlfriend

Or any girlfriend at all, partly due to hanging out too much on a forum with a 25-1 male/female ratio!

Of course all those beauty posters on the wall probably hasn't helped either...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:49:24 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
Or any girlfriend at all, partly due to hanging out too much on a forum with a 25-1 male/female ratio!

Of course all those beauty posters on the wall probably hasn't helped either...

All you have to say to her is: "I just am looking for someone to fill this void in my life.  For example, I've spent $70,000 on movie posters to trying to satisfy my loneliness...  I imagine if I ever did find the right girl; I would spoil her like a princess..."  You would most definitely get laid...

;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:57:33 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »

All you have to say to her is: "I just am looking for someone to fill this void in my life.  For example, I've spent $70,000 on movie posters to trying to satisfy my loneliness...  I imagine if I ever did find the right girl; I would spoil her like a princess..."  You would most definitely get laid...

;)

clap
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
You boys are wacky!

More like "Babe, I'll ditch this crazy collection to pay for our wedding and honeymoon!"