Author Topic: Restoration question  (Read 2792 times)

Cyborg

Restoration question
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
Hi guys,

I used to be on the MPF, but i see it is somewhat empty these days, and i finaly found this forum.
I am not a big postercollector or anything, i just like some old and new movieposters for framing and hanging.

So now my question,

I recently purchased on Elvis US insert poster but the poster is not in the best shape.
In my country (the netherlands) we know all about paintings, but if you ask someone to restore a poster,
first they think you are crazy and then all they can say is that they can glue it to some cardboard.

I don't want to send the poster to some random restorer in the US or elsewhere overseas, so that is why i come here for advice.
Are there any restorers that can give advice and estimate prices by just looking at a photo of the poster, or isn't that normal in this business.
I can imagine it is hard judging a picture, but i want to know if i am looking at a 100 or 500 or a 1000 dollar repairjob, just an estimate.
Then i can decide for myself if for me it is worth the money.

Because i never had a backed poster in my hands, i also want to know what the difference is between linen- and paperbacking, what is the preference with insert posters ?

thanks,

Matt

Re: Restoration question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
Hi Cyborg and welcome,

I recommend Dario. No surprises there.

Here's a contact link where you can send him photos of your insert, both front and back. From those photo's he can give you a fairly accurate quote.(This depends on the quality of the photos of course). He will give a + or - figure on the restoration time.

http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/contact-dario-casadei/

And he's also a member here. I'm from Australia and had over 20 posters backed by him. He'll gladly answer any questions you have. I promise you....you'll never be swept under the carpet with D.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
I used to be on the MPF, but i see it is somewhat empty these days, and i finaly found this forum.

Welcome to APF - I just wanted to acknowledge your deft use of understatement ;)

And yes as Matt says Dario is a great choice.
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
Don't want to sound like a broken record but

Welcome!
From Australia
Recommend Dario
Also use him exclusively
Speak to him with your questions

David

Cyborg

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:28:37 AM »
Thanks all for the awnsers, i will make some high resolution pictures and send a mail to the vintagemovieart, thanks.

If it works out or if it doesn't, ill post it here.

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
  • Nothing is new only forgotten (Tyla)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:38 AM »
Cyborg,
Lets do this in English so the rest can joibut if you want you can mail me in Dutch off course,
I only hear good things from Dario but never used it, not that eager to send stuff around the world to end up paying import taxes again on your own item .
Belgian postal is a crack in overcharging taxes.
I have to contacts in Belgium that do restorations , one in Antwerp and one in gent.
The guy in Antwerp only works on paper the woman in gent does both linen and paper.
So to answer your question on the difference in backing on linen or paper:
Dealers and the Americans prefer linen , it's less fragil easier to handle
Museum and Europeans seems to like  the paper backing 😋
The backing method is completely different

Linen backing: linen over wooden frame buffered with a Japan paper (between poster and linen) the poster us glued to linen . During drying the linen will get more tension and flatten the poster.
So it normally gives a flatter result then paper for folded posters.
Japan backing: the poster is laid flat and Japan paper is glued from the back, so it rather gives some extra strength to the poster but follows more the poster paper and does not flatten out folds as good.
Advantage it's paper on paper so after drying it has the same structure and will interact (on temperature changes etc almost the same as the poster.
While linen has a different structure then paper and could interact in an other way on changes.
This used to be the case with old linen backing techniques (where they did not use a buffering paper between linen and poster)
Paper backing is a bit easier to reverse.
So if your poster has a lot folds I would rather opt for linen backing.
At least that's my experience but I'm sure others will agree or disagree.

Cyborg

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Hi Joe,
Thanks for all your awnsers.
I send the poster to Dario a few weeks ago and just got it back, the poster was really in horrible condition, but i just got it back and must say it is really well restored, beyond my expectations.

I will post some before and after pictures soon.

The poster is linenbacked by the way, for shipment this is best way to do it, as i understand.
It really is great because the poster was allmost falling apart at the folds.

I did not had any taxes this time, most of the time they don't charge any, sometimes when you are unlucky.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the before-and-after pics, Cyborg.
Welcome to APF!
 cheers

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the before-and-after pics, Cyborg.
Welcome to APF!
 cheers
He posted the before and after pics already in the linenbacking by Dario thread.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
A-ha...I see it now.  Thanks, Randy.

That Dario.  Man, he's good.
 cheers