Author Topic: What I Like the MOST about Ebay!  (Read 19279 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
What I Like the MOST about Ebay!
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: What I Like the MOST about Ebay!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »
Great image on that one Brude.  But maybe not as good as the price ;)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
Exactly, Chris.
Does it qualify as 'noir?'

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
No b-day t'day, Rich, but I have you to thank for this one. 
You got so many purty posters from this era, I just had to find something for my own.
My ref to the time was that I just bought it moments ago.
 cheers

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »
Exactly, Chris.
Does it qualify as 'noir?'

It's definitely "near-noir" - might better qualify as "mystery/crime" but the image is GREAT regardless!
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
That old-time collector did a lot of work to collect his $10.50. He has to pay his eBay/PayPal fees out of it, and he still has to collect your money, and pack and ship your package.

I wonder how he would have done if he had simply consigned it to us? He surely would have expended no effort (other than getting it here), and I think he would have surely netted FAR more money.

We auctioned it five times in the last 9 years, for between $37 and $72, and the $72 one was only in "good" condition!

It is a good thing for collectors like you that he either doesn't know about us, or thinks he will do better himself.

Great buy!

Bruce

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »
What's hysterical is that it took 5 bids to get to $10.50.

Great score though!

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
It's definitely "near-noir" - might better qualify as "mystery/crime" but the image is GREAT regardless!

it's a crime film.. Film Noir has some very specific traits (IE: Innocent person ensnared in a troublesome situation that spirals ever downward, usually ending in the degradation or destruction of the character. View D.O.A. (death), Caged (degradation), Detour (degradation, probable death), Double Indemnity (degradation and death), Nightmare Alley (eventual degradation))

A film like Murder My Sweet, which is clearly one of the top noirs, is unique in that the main character (Phil Marlowe) does not meet his death, even though every last one of the evil doers does

being a crime film does not automatically genre any film to film noir and I think that Big Sleep, which is noted as one of the big noir titles, is not a film noir at all but rather a perfectly formulated noir that loses it's distinction because unlike any of the other films, it has no real grittiness as Howard Hawks made it too polished of a film.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
it's a crime film.. Film Noir has some very specific traits (IE: Innocent person ensnared in a troublesome situation that spirals ever downward, usually ending in the degradation or destruction of the character. View D.O.A. (death), Caged (degradation), Detour (degradation, probable death), Double Indemnity (degradation and death), Nightmare Alley (eventual degradation))

A film like Murder My Sweet, which is clearly one of the top noirs, is unique in that the main character (Phil Marlowe) does not meet his death, even though every last one of the evil doers does

being a crime film does not automatically genre any film to film noir and I think that Big Sleep, which is noted as one of the big noir titles, is not a film noir at all but rather a perfectly formulated noir that loses it's distinction because unlike any of the other films, it has no real grittiness as Howard Hawks made it too polished of a film.

Well Rich this debate could go on for years...it all comes down to how one qualifies something as "noir" - is it a style of cinematography? is it the storyline as you have alluded to? is it a genre/movement unto itself spanning 1941-1958?  Certainly the more stringent the rules, the less films that will qualify...

But I agree - many films cited as noir should not be (based on my own personal checklist) - it seems many people and certainly sellers will put the word "noir" in their listing in hopes that it will bring more $$$ and notoriety...
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
The Big Sleep is a classic case of two many cooks spoiling the broth. For all the talent involved, it is a muddled mess, and by the end of it you just want it over, because there are way too many characters and sub-plots and it all doesn't add up to very much at all.

puke2

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
What's hysterical is that it took 5 bids to get to $10.50.

Ain't that the truth.

Thanks for all the comments, especially Rich's primer on what makes a film 'noir.'
I plan on doing one room all vintage and this beauty fits in nicely.

kauaitx

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
That old-time collector did a lot of work to collect his $10.50. He has to pay his eBay/PayPal fees out of it, and he still has to collect your money, and pack and ship your package.

I wonder how he would have done if he had simply consigned it to us? He surely would have expended no effort (other than getting it here), and I think he would have surely netted FAR more money.

We auctioned it five times in the last 9 years, for between $37 and $72, and the $72 one was only in "good" condition!

It is a good thing for collectors like you that he either doesn't know about us, or thinks he will do better himself.

Great buy!

Bruce

Bruce, I recognize that you'll try anything to get some free advertisement for your business in the main discussion threads.  But I am now giving you fair warning that if you persist in posts like this that are nothing more than a way for you to advertise your business site, I will delete them. 

Jeannie

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »

emovieposter.com rules!!!

delete that jeannie!  :-*

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
I see there is a "report to moderator" button. Is there also a "report moderator" button I am not seeing?

That would be handy for moderators who are drunk with their power.

I can't see there is ANYTHING inappropriate in my post above. I had to check the top of my screen to make certain I wasn't on a certain other forum, where heavy handed censorship and warnings are the rule.

I imagine this too will likely be deleted, so I will save a copy for a later posting on a less controlled forum.

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
I agree.  I think Bruce's comments on my purchase are informative to the many sellers -- like myself -- about the pitfalls of liquidating valuable ephemera on the melee known as Ebay.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »
Jeannie, you're going way overboard here.  

You posted on NNF4 that the ONLY reason you participate in this forum is to rein in disguised sales pitches.  Is that really needed here?

Frankly, the people who post the most - like Bruce - deserve some leeway.  It's the occasional posters who need to be moderated.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:49:58 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
ban everyone..
do it now
do it do it do it do it
we'd have so much more time if we were banned

-------

wonka

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
Ha, that is hilarious Rich.

I am going to start my own forum where large French posters can only be referred to as GRANDE.  Break the rule, you are outta there.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
grande this

-------

kauaitx

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
I see there is a "report to moderator" button. Is there also a "report moderator" button I am not seeing?

That would be handy for moderators who are drunk with their power.

I can't see there is ANYTHING inappropriate in my post above. I had to check the top of my screen to make certain I wasn't on a certain other forum, where heavy handed censorship and warnings are the rule.

I imagine this too will likely be deleted, so I will save a copy for a later posting on a less controlled forum.

Bruce

Oh, Bruce, I'm only doing what you've asked many times for on NSFGE but left in a huff -- four or five times now, I believe -- when your demands for the moderating of posts weren't granted.  Oh, wait, you meant the moderating of other people's posts when they were critical of you, not your posts.... Met kettle lately, Bruce?   Let me re-acquaint the two of you.

Of course you don't see the "inappriateness" of your post.  When have you ever known limits when it comes to self-promotion?  You're advertising your own business under the guise of suggesting what that ebay seller should have done by consigning to you instead.  Put on a show for the newcomers to the hobby if you wish, but save the grand-standing about censorship for another forum whose owner bends over.  You should know by now that I don't care who you think you are.

As for the "drunk with power", you're right.... I am heady with this awesome power I have as moderator of a poster forum.  Because there is no greater role in this world than to be a moderator on a poster forum.  I wake up every morning heady with the thought that today is another day where I get to giddily foist another Advertisement by Bruce into the netherworld.  My life has meaning because of you.  You complete me.  You had me at "Hello, I am emoviesomething.com".  

Thanks,
Supreme Queen Moderator of Disguised Advertisements

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
Buy movie posters at stylec.yuku.com
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:02:56 PM by kauaitx »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »
whoa!

jeannie can EDIT other peoples posts?

danger will robinson....danger!

it was obviously a joke in my last post.....but she edited "Buy movie posters at CineMasterpieces.com"

Bruce

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
Jeannie

As long as we are talking brutal truths here, how is it you see Dave as the Antichrist (and edit his posts), but see your buds as wonderful sellers who can do no wrong?

Was Dave ever caught enhancing images on hundreds of items?
Does Dave have a "house bidder" who bids on most everything he sells?
Has Dave been embroiled in LOTS of lawsuits?
Does Dave have a "GO AWAY" customer service policy?
Does Dave charge massive "buyers premiums" on everything he sells?
Does Dave relist items that apparently "sold" over and over?

Hmmm...

Bruce