Author Topic: A simple restoration question  (Read 5517 times)

Bruce

A simple restoration question
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
This is something I have wondered about for a long time.

When a poster has had all of its borders trimmed off, and the poster is then restored, I would assume most people would want the borders replaced.

But if there was small writing at the bottom (a litho number, NSS number, Country of Origin USA, stuff like that) should the restorer fake that?

It seems to me that the ONLY reason to do so is to deceive the buyer of the poster (either the current buyer, or someone down the line) because who in the world ever looks at the tiny writing when a poster is displayed?

I ask this because two of the linenbacked posters I auctioned last Sunday had the incorrect NSS numbers on them, and it was because part of the numbers had been lost, and the restorer "guessed at" what they should have been.

What do you think?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: A simple restoration question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
First of all, I hate trimmed borders. If there's some damage that pisses me off completely, that is trimmed borders.
Would't buy something in that condition, unless it is extremely rare (and I have to be needing it inmensely).
If there's a reference image of an untrimmed one, restorer should add the NSS/printing company info.
If not, borders should be left blank
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
I think they shouldn't have guessed...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »
IMHO, by definition the word restore is 'to bring back to its original condition' ergo it shouldn't matter what part of the poster is 'restored'.

When restoring an old car to its former glory you are likely going to have to use new parts and/or new paint etc it because the idea is for it to look like it did when it was first made. So provided it is stated that it (the poster) has been restored then the buyer should understand that parts of it are not the 'original'.

Personally I think it is wrong that the restorer got the detail wrong (NSS), specially when it is probably "research-able" it's like putting any old bumper on the car you are restoring, it might look OK but it's not really how it looked originally, so it's a poor restoration job.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:14:48 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
First of all, I hate trimmed borders. If there's some damage that pisses me off completely, that is trimmed borders.
Would't buy something in that condition, unless it is extremely rare (and I have to be needing it inmensely).
If there's a reference image of an untrimmed one, restorer should add the NSS/printing company info.
If not, borders should be left blank

+1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
If there is reference material (hi res images, or other documentation for that particular poster, regarding printer, NSS# etc), I see no reason why a restorer should guess and then add that incorrect info to a poster.

If the poster is rare, or, by chance, hasn't ever been photographed or sold (meaning this info is unknown, or the correct placement can't be determined for sure), I think it best to leave any "guessed" information off.

However, down the road, if that info would surface, the owner of that poster could always have the correct info added at a later point, if he/she wanted to.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 05:53:31 PM »
There is an example in the classic car world of a notable '30s racecar that has been found, restored and sold three times.  Yes, there are three copies of this car and in each case, the restorer has "proof" that his is the original.  One restoration has the original engine, one has the original chassis and the third has the original title and registration plate.  Everything else on each car was fabricated from the blueprints.

I think that given the responses here, someone could take a very valuable poster, cut it into pieces and make multiple restorations of the resulting mess, while claiming that each was an original.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
I couldn't care less about borders.
Well of RATHER have a border.
But no big deal for me.
Seems silly to recreate the NSS if you don't know what it is. Actually kinda silly to recreate it at all.
I've never admired a posters NSS info.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
I couldn't care less about borders.

Being the offaleater, it's obvious you prefer "full bleed"  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »
It's funny you should post this Question Bruce, I'm in this position.

I have two posters that need some TLC, one of them has the boarders trimmed, and the other has a corner missing, where there was a printers name and a code number.  The one with the boarders trimmed also has quite a lot of info missing, which I know, but it also has the code number missing. Yes some Quads have Numbers...

I've been searching for years to find this info, but have failed so far. There's No other copies of these posters out there, and they are likely the only ones left. Press-books won't give the info I'm after, and No records exist.

I've waited this long because, not having all the correct info on would annoy me, and I want the restoration all done in one go. However it looks like I'm just going to have to send them to be done, and if the info turns up ever.. send them to get it added.

As a collector do want everything correct on these posters, but there's noway I could even think of just making something up, this would annoy me even more than the posters not having the info...

Anyway the upshot is they will be going for resto very soon....As soon as I find the best out there. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:15 AM »
It's funny you should post this Question Bruce, I'm in this position.

I have two posters that need some TLC, one of them has the boarders trimmed, and the other has a corner missing, where there was a printers name and a code number.  The one with the boarders trimmed also has quite a lot of info missing, which I know, but it also has the code number missing. Yes some Quads have Numbers...

I've been searching for years to find this info, but have failed so far. There's No other copies of these posters out there, and they are likely the only ones left. Press-books won't give the info I'm after, and No records exist.

I've waited this long because, not having all the correct info on would annoy me, and I want the restoration all done in one go. However it looks like I'm just going to have to send them to be done, and if the info turns up ever.. send them to get it added.

As a collector do want everything correct on these posters, but there's noway I could even think of just making something up, this would annoy me even more than the posters not having the info...

Anyway the upshot is they will be going for resto very soon....As soon as I find the best out there. ;)

Good luck, Paul. I recall the 2 you are speaking of and know how you have been trying to find the correct printer's info for both.

Be sure to stay away from Alain; or you may never get them back.    ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
I will, and thanks for your help on this matter, Jeff..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »
Any time, Paul.

:)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
Let me get this right - so if I am trying to pass off an S2 repro/'recreation' as a legit Dracula one sheet I should probably make sure the litho # is restored correctly?!  hitself
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:06:37 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »
 ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
Let me get this right - so if I am trying to pass off an S2 repro/'recreation' as a legit Dracula one sheet I should probably make sure the litho # is restored correctly?!  hitself

rofl1

-Jeff