Author Topic: NIGHTMARE-Alain Bourgouin- Poster Science -London  (Read 46346 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: NIGHTMARE-Alain Bourgouin- Poster Science -London
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
He needs to get money from somewhere, the dole won't keep him in the life-style he accustom to... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
From what i have heard, he has several (or did, anyhow) larger clients he does work for. (a la Jaime and HA). If that's the case, then those continual jobs bring in the money.

Meanwhile, the individual clients AND their posters get pushed to the back of the queue, where they often languish on a shelf for many months to well over a year! In the least case, he should return these posters and their deposits, if he is too busy to ever get to them, in a timely fashion.

Yet all he does is remain mum and hold the goods.  :-X

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »
I hope we eventually see this punk in cuffs -- posted on this thread.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
 wynk

lynbabs

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2014, 03:34:22 AM »
How about using a tracer agency - the type that solicitors use when tracking people down? They can usually find anyone, costs £50-100 I believe, but once his new address is confirmed then court proceedings can be initiated against him.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2014, 03:43:02 AM »
From what i have heard, he has several (or did, anyhow) larger clients he does work for. (a la Jaime and HA). If that's the case, then those continual jobs bring in the money.

Meanwhile, the individual clients AND their posters get pushed to the back of the queue, where they often languish on a shelf for many months to well over a year! In the least case, he should return these posters and their deposits, if he is too busy to ever get to them, in a timely fashion.

Yet all he does is remain mum and hold the goods.  :-X

Do you think he still has larger clients Jeff? if he was making good money why move to somewhere cheaper, and further away as it's all more cost and time... Maybe I know something you don't; I don't think he has much coming in at the moment. hence the changes.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Do you think he still has larger clients Jeff? if he was making good money why move to somewhere cheaper, and further away as it's all more cost and time... Maybe I know something you don't; I don't think he has much coming in at the moment. hence the changes.

Paul, I was playing devil's advocate and offering that as a possible reason as to why he was not getting the individual client's posters done and finished.

If he, in fact, no longer has those large clients that provided the continual work, then it is even MORE outrageous that he not be on the ball and get these people their posters back and get in touch with them. Let alone his not answering emails or returning phone calls (or having someone help him do that, if he dealing with other issues at the moment).

Back when Rosa was going thru her ordeal, he indicated that he was severely backlogged with all of the work stacking up around him.  

And, Paul, if you "know something I dont" and, more importantly, that his other fretting clients here don't know about Alain -- then why not be an upstanding chap and share it with the board or the clients themselves. I, for one, know it would be the right thing to do (and I don't mean "maybe").   ;)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:11:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guy85

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
All –

Apologies for my lack of updates.

Had some progress, managed to get through to his phone after ringing for over a week everyday. Was very odd. I played ignorant to the move but he let his guard down and gave me his address, I said it was all fine knowing nothing would be done.

Spent my day yesterday (minus £30 for the train ticket) traveling to Deal. Found his house and spoke to his neighbour who was also making excuses for his work however she phoned Alain while I waited. I got as far I getting my poster back but he refused to get cash out for my refund. Conversation turned 'interesting' so I left. I have sent him my bank details and now awaiting my refund.  

If anyone would like his address please contact me. Was thinking about posting it up here as others shouldn't have similar problems. He shouldn't be running a 'business' like this and shouldn't speak to customers like he has done.

Happy I have got my poster back but was not an enjoyable day...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:49:36 AM by guy85 »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »
Glad you got your poster back after a year and presumably still in the original condition where he has done nothing since receiving it back then. Sounds outrageous you had such a hard and unpleasant time to get your poster back and he still hasn't given your money back for the work he didn't do, argghhh. I hope you get it back soon.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:10:53 AM by 50s »

Mirosae

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
Guy, i'm very glad to read you've got your poster back. Did he give you a reason for not agreeing to a refund on the day? Hope you get your money back plus some compensation. ..at least your train ticket too.

I assume he has a decent income and should be able to pay you back.As Jeff mentioned above,  Alain once told me he had some important clients,  hinting he was working like Jaime/HA. And he was always busy working on their posters. If that continues to be the case I don't know. But i thought he made good business out of it all.

And as Steve says hope you got your poster in decent condition.

Good for you...!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:54:07 PM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
Good to hear it Guy.

But like Steve asked or mentioned-- was your poster in the same state / untouched condition as it was when you gave it to Alain a year ago? If NO work was done to it, the  he most assuredly should be giving you a refund. If not, then you really should take further action, as that would also be flat out stealing.

But so great that your persistence paid off and that you got your poster back. Did he give ANY reason as to the huge delays or why he never returned calls or emails? Or did he simply "beat around the bush" and avoid any real info on the move, the posters etc.

And what is also interesting in your post, is your comment about this new, so called "neighbor" who defended his work, made excuses for him and was the one that had to ring him up, to let him know you were there.  Say what??  eyeroll

Why would a neighbor go to this length, unless she possibly knew him prior to his relocating there? I'm thinking this was the ex g-friend/framing partner, Louise. The MO reads eerily similar to what Rosa dealt with and experienced the day she finally got her posters back.

And if the location you went to is, in fact, also his studio and work place of business, then posting it here would be no different that posting the address of any other restorer's business location. Especially for someone who refuses to be in touch with clients by phone, email, text, fax or carrier pigeon.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:05:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
Good work on getting your poster back, Guy.   thumbup  Considering how difficult it was to get it back, with you having to personally visit him, etc., you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to send you a refund for the restoration work that I assume he didn't do.  I hope you get it all sorted out.

cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:56:50 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Glad to hear that you got your poster back, Guy.
Now sue the f*cktard for your deposit, train fare, lost time, etc., etc.

Don't let his punk-ass off the hook.  He needs to be taught a lesson.
 cheers

guy85

« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »
Update – got my money back via bank transfer. Haven't replied yet though.

After putting the poster back in it's frame discovered that the poster is creased as it hasn't been stored properly.

Here is his address for the record.

Alain Bourgouin
1 Beachlands Court
The Strand
Walmer, Deal
Kent CT14 7DL

Mirosae

« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:25 AM »
Guy

Happy to hear that you have got your money back. And of course, dissapointed that your poster was returned to you in such condition. I will just say that I am not surprised.

You might have thought about it, but worth taking some photos for your records.

And good for you for sharing this information. I am sure it will be of great help to others in similar circumstances.

All the best

Rosa

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
When the next round of forum shutdown implosions start let's keep this thread as a reminder of the value of our little community...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
Guy,

Once again, it's great to hear you got your poster and money back (although sorry to read that his careless storage and handling caused it to get creased).  moron1

And posting his business/studio address was the proper thing to do; perhaps others may feel the need to go there and retrieve their items, should similar situations arise.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Crikey, I know a dealer who live at admiralty Mews, how strange is that...!

Mirosae

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
Just go to Mario at Lumiere Poster Restoration in USA - Yes, it pays off all the shipping. You get back your poster.

Or go to Dario Casadei- Yes. Canada. Well. I might move over there just to get all my poster done by him. Though shipping is NOT a problem. Trust me.

A chapter has been closed.... :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »

Or go to Dario Casadei- Yes. Canada. Well. I might move over there just to get all my poster done by him. Though shipping is NOT a problem. Trust me.

Always room for Gilda, Bogie and the Rio girls in this country!
Chris

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
I thought that it might be useful to update this thread with my recent experience of Alain Bourgouin.

I only came across this thread a month after I had consigned a poster to Alain for linen-backing and was starting to feel uneasy at the lack of response I had received from him. Reading through the nightmare-ish tales from his past customers was a kind of "oh,no" moment as I pondered on the best way of dealing with him.

My immediate thought was to ask for the poster to be returned as at that stage no money had changed hands. However, it did appear that this approach had not served other APF members well in the past and that he was likely to dig his heels in and cut off communications entirely. I am not a particularly confrontational person anyway and decided in the end that patience was the best option and that I would just try to jolly him along. Which I did really, albeit through gritted teeth at times.

The hard thing to describe to those who haven't dealt with Alain directly is how adept at being evasive he is - he is brilliant at being vague. On at least two occasions, determined to get some exact information out of him (I still hadn't got from him - after about six weeks or two months - even a provisional estimate of costs or how long it was going to take) I came off the phone still without any clear indication when the work was going to be done.

Finally, he came up with a figure for linen-backing and de-acidification for the poster of £210 which I, with no means of comparison with other UK restorers, thought sounded reasonable. It is a French poster, 120cms by 160cms, which like most older French posters has darkened along all the fold lines but was otherwise in decent condition apart from a bit of fold separation and wear at fold joints. He said "a little bit" of restoration would be required to make good these problems and that his hourly restoration rate was £40 per hour.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after a further two months or so (about four and a half months altogether) and a few more phone calls, he sent me an invoice (the only time he contacted me directly) including £290 for restoration. This came out of the blue to me and seemed on the high side given that we had agreed it needed minimal restoration. However, there was not a lot that I could do at that juncture other than pay up, which I did.

Overall, I would say that I didn't get put through the wringer as badly as some of the people who posted earlier in this thread but it was still a frustrating experience. The only previous occasion on which I had a poster backed/restored was back in the 1990s when I had just started in the hobby and I picked out Dan Strebin based on an interview he gave in Jon Warren's first poster price guide. Dan was a decent guy to deal with as I recall (is he still active on the scene?) and, put it this way: sending my poster across the Atlantic, Dan backing it, sending the poster to the restoration artist he used, getting it back and returning it to me - all that took less than half the time that Alain needed.

Not sure there is a moral to the story but it sure has put me off getting any more posters linen-backed for the foreseeable future! 

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
Yikes.  Good to hear that you eventually got it all sorted out.

If you go to one of the well known and respected restoration companies, I'm sure you'd have a much different experience.  It would likely change your outlook on the whole process.  After dealing with a couple of the good restoration folks, whom I've mentioned here, I'm stoked to send more stuff to them after seeing them work their magic.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
Hi Martin.

Can I ask if your account happened before or after he moved out of London?  By his own admission, he was pretty useless just towards the end before leaving London.

I have had stuff done after his move and all was well again.

This not to mitigate in any way the crap others went through, to be sure.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2016, 04:11:05 PM »
Hi Martin.

Can I ask if your account happened before or after he moved out of London?  By his own admission, he was pretty useless just towards the end before leaving London.

I have had stuff done after his move and all was well again.

This not to mitigate in any way the crap others went through, to be sure.

Hi Simes

It was earlier this year, with him based at his new address in Deal.

I did have quite affable chats with him (under the circumstances) and I did get the impression that he was stressed by the backlog of work he had outstanding. Having said that, no-one is forcing him to accept new consignments - but people don't want to turn away work, I suppose, and then find they are letting customers down because they are unable to fulfil jobs in a reasonable length of time. If he had more competition in the UK, I think that he would lose more custom but there aren't many domestic alternatives out there.

Having said that, you have had no complaints about his work and he still seems to have plenty coming in. I wouldn't necessarily fault the work he did for me, it's only that his customer service and communication is very poor.

Neo - I am sure that you are right that it is a question of finding the right restorer and sticking with them. I suppose the lesson is: put the bad experience behind you and move on!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
Oh dear.  Was really hoping to hear it was prior to Deal.

Oh well.

I currently have nothing to back, but I do try to pop down and actually see the guy when dropping things off; try to maintain a personal contract with the chap.

All the best.