Author Topic: Need some Authentication help...  (Read 2527 times)

guest8

Need some Authentication help...
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
I have a Batman Begins INTL one sheet I'd like to authenticate.

Does anyone have any pictures or detailed descriptions of text and characteristics of one?

guest8

Re: Need some Authentication help...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
Bueller... Bueller..... Bueller.....

Nothing ? Really guys? :(

Even a physical description of a real one would be good.. glossy or matte finish? measurements? text on the bottom?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
I didnt think there were full sized repro's on that one. Only have the quad, so no help here.

guest8

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
I have both a 1S and the quad .. I could compare the main artwork for quality differences. But I had hoped that someone around here would have had a nice photo or could give me some rough descriptive details about what to look for.

However if you are right about there not being full size repros .. then anything 27x40 should be legit.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
Why are you suspicious if the text is razor sharp?

There are very very few high-quality 27x40 repros out there because it's almost always technically and/or economically infeasible to create and sell them.  Sure, the likes of Tom Loce and moviepostershop.com might sell 27x40 repros of this but they don't even try to make perfect repros. Any collector on this board would instantly recognize that their posters are repros, e.g. heavy luster paper, fuzzy text, odd-sized, odd-cropping, etc.

I doubt there's sufficient demand for this particular poster for anyone to go to the trouble of making perfect repros. Also, where are you going to get a sufficiently large digital image (at least 4000x6000 pixels) to print it? The one on MPDB is only 755 pixels:

http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/0372784/Batman-Begins.html
http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/7d77e473

I guess you could scan in an original but it's very difficult to produce a perfect repro from a scanned-in image. You'd have to recreate the text and logos for starters, which requires some significant Photoshop skills. Lot of time and effort with no real economic rationale.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:13:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
I've got one...will dig it out and take some photos when I get a moment in the next day or two.

guest8

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
Why are you suspicious if the text is razor sharp?

There are very very few high-quality 27x40 repros out there because it's almost always technically and/or economically infeasible to create and sell them.  Sure, the likes of Tom Loce and moviepostershop.com might sell 27x40 repros of this but they don't even try to make perfect repros. Any collector on this board would instantly recognize that their posters are repros, e.g. heavy luster paper, fuzzy text, odd-sized, odd-cropping, etc.

I doubt there's sufficient demand for this particular poster for anyone to go to the trouble of making perfect repros. Also, where are you going to get a sufficiently large digital image (at least 4000x6000 pixels) to print it? The one on MPDB is only 755 pixels:

http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/0372784/Batman-Begins.html
http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/7d77e473

I guess you could scan in an original but it's very difficult to produce a perfect repro from a scanned-in image. You'd have to recreate the text and logos for starters, which requires some significant Photoshop skills. Lot of time and effort with no real economic rationale.

Ive seen people do more for less $$ .. unless I'm mistaken this is slightly rarer than any of the other BB posters as well. As far as it taking a lot of time and skill .. Id prefer to recreate text and logos .. Its actually kind of easy and I don't feel I am a PS expert in any way shape or form. And really if someone could make $50 .. whats an hour of their time .. especially if they have the ability to print them .. $50x ... 10 posters? That looks like an easy $500 to me. Not to mention the actual repros of these sell for <$20 .. meaning the actual cost of printing isnt all that high.

I've got one...will dig it out and take some photos when I get a moment in the next day or two.

Thanks Tob! Ill keep an eye out for it. I saw Bruce had some pics but they are all small ones now so I cant read the text or anything :(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »
Its a very cool looking poster, I gotta say.

And it never hurts to double check, if you have any doubt, that's for sure.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
This is the exact copy I got from Heritage. You can see everything in the blow up.

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161148&lotNo=53032#Photo

Its buried somewhere at the moment. I see Tob has one but If needed I will find mine. Cant be sure mine is real as I dont have a 100% known original to match it up with.

As far as what people will fake... I have seen a Star Trek 2009 D/S bootleg... so its pretty much anything.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:40:48 PM by Zorba »

guest8

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
Thanks for the link Zorba! Everything looks the same.. Although the Heritage pic looks like the brightness was boosted some.. the colors seem a touch washed out compared to mine .. mine has browns instead of light tans.

So where was it you ran across a fake Trek poster!!?? :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
So where was it you ran across a fake Trek poster!!?? :)

Friend of mine bought it off of ebay.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,833.msg42542.html#msg42542

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Mine also looks just like Zorba's poster (Batman is not that sharp, but the text is). It's pretty much spot on 27 x 40" and the front has a coppery brownish tinge where as the reverse side has more of a greenish tinge.

Here is a crap close up of the text in case it's of any use (sorry for bad light, cameraphone pic and reflections!)...

guest8

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
Hey thanks for the pic Tob!

I never really inspected the back of mine, it was lighter than the front which I took as a good sign. One thing that is hard to tell from the pics .. does yours have a high gloss front? Or is it more of a matte finish?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
Hey thanks for the pic Tob!

I never really inspected the back of mine, it was lighter than the front which I took as a good sign. One thing that is hard to tell from the pics .. does yours have a high gloss front? Or is it more of a matte finish?

No probs! Sorry for the lame quality of the picture.

Yes, the front of mine is high gloss, very reflective. Does that match? If you need more pics of anything specific, let me know and I'll try and take some better ones.

guest8

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Oh no that was great! I appreciate the efforts! So far everything you mentioned is true with mine as well. :) Now to decide if I should frame it or tuck it away for safe keeping! ;)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
Oh no that was great! I appreciate the efforts! So far everything you mentioned is true with mine as well. :) Now to decide if I should frame it or tuck it away for safe keeping! ;)

Cool - glad it matches up! It's a cool poster.