Author Topic: Negative effects of long term framing?  (Read 6936 times)

MintyWhite

Negative effects of long term framing?
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
Hello All,

I'm keen to get my favorite (which also seem to be the most expensive!) posters framed and have had about 10 already done with conservation in mind (acid free board, UV plexi etc).

However, reading on here someone mentioned compression waves which got me thinking about the negative effects of long term framing.

All of my frames have been specifically made for each poster so I cant really 'chop and change' but also I want to make sure that the posters don't suffer any irreversible effects from having them up.

Does anyone have any information that would be beneficial on this topic?

Regards,

MW  ;D

Mirosae

Re: Negative effects of long term framing?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
My frames are also custom made

If it is not framed properly then the poster can be damaged, and those wrinkles or waves might become permanent so do watch out for marks (those are more common on non-linen backed posters). If you find any, take it back to the framers.

Assuming it has been framed properly the only issue now is where you will display it. Avoid humid places, radiators and direct sunlight...But of course, you already know that!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:08:32 PM by Mirosae »

MintyWhite

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
Thanks Mirosae!

I had them framed by a reputable framer who also does frames for a nearby museum, so I'm hoping that they are all properly done.

I'm only concerned about one poster (My ET 'Bike over Moon' 1sh, as luck would have it) so may take it back and just ask.

I did consider taking it off the wall and lying it flat for a while as well!

All of my posters are hung on internal walls and well out of sunlight! As for humidity, I live in the UK and although we get lots and lots of rain, I don't think humidity it too much of an issue!

MW :)

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »
If you are concerned about that poster, then it might be best if you take it back asap. You might also want to consider taking some pics and post them here for a second opinion. I am sure APFs can let you know if it looks OK. Just a thought.

And as for humidity/ posters I too live in the UK and humidity is an issue for me, but my fault I guess, as my flat feels like a sauna most of the times...!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
I'd leave em and enjoy them, a few waves is better than  in a box never seen.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »
Having framed over 1000 posters over the last four years on a rotating basis, I still haven't 100% figured out how to avoid permanent compression waves.  It is 100% certain permanent compression waves will develop if the poster is larger than the frame.  Snap frames can also cause compression waves but it's random.  In general don't put a high value poster (like ET) in a snap frame. Also, don't use metal springs all around the edge of a non-snap frame, as that will cause local compression waves.  The best solution seems to be to hang a poster loosely with one metal spring in the top center in a regular (non-snap) frame that is larger than the poster.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:10:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »
I still haven't 100% figured out how to avoid permanent compression waves.   Snap frames can also cause compression waves but it's random.  In general don't put a high value poster (like ET) in a snap frame. Also, don't use metal springs all around the edge of a non-snap frame, as that will cause local compression waves. 

I have yet to have a compression wave caused by the metal spring (on snap frames) when the frame has a mat (and backing board) - when framed with a mat the spring is a long way from the actual poster.

I use acid free tape (just a little), to hold the poster (at the top and bottom) to the (acid free) mat - I cannot speak to what will happen in years to come.
David

MintyWhite

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:15 AM »
Thanks all for the info! It is much appreciated!

I did try to take some photos, however the waves didn't really show up! So this could be a sign that I was over cautious in regards to the severity (Well I hope)!

I don't tend to use snap frames because the only reasonably priced ones I have seen need to be permanently attached to the wall. Also I like to change the location of my framed stuff from time to time, so moving the frame as a whole is easier.

I fully agree with Ari too, about getting them seen! I'm considering putting some in Poly/Mylar sleeves with conservation board backing so that I can 'get them out' more often! I think Quadbod are the best people to see in UK about that, so when I have some spare money I will enquire!

Finally, am I right to assume that the bigger the poster the more the likely the occurrence of the waves? (I have an Apocalypse Now B0 that I want to get up!)

Thanks for all the input!

MW  :)

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
I'd leave em and enjoy them, a few waves is better than  in a box never seen.

what he says..

BTW that pic/ avatar of yours deserves a proper frame too, i am liking it more and more  ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »

Finally, am I right to assume that the bigger the poster the more the likely the occurrence of the waves? (I have an Apocalypse Now B0 that I want to get up!)

Yes and No, it more so depends on the type of paper, also how the poster is held in the frame...IE: The type of backing and weather the front is Plexi or Glass and what thickness they are, etc.
Over a similar set up and the same kind of paper, you could possibly get more in a larger poster. However there's lots of variables here...  

Where abouts are you based in the U.K.?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:16:27 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

MintyWhite

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »
That makes sense, Paul.

The B0 does seem to be thicker! So it may not 'wave' as much.

Yeah I'm based in the UK!

MW  :)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »
I do all my own framing from scratch.  And I usually swap most of them out every three months (purely just too mix it up, not for any other reason).  I've never seen compression waves, maybe that's the benefit of doing it myself because I don't frame it so the poster is sandwiched super tightly in the frame, there's a little wiggle room in the frame because the plexi expands and contracts.  Then again most of my posters are quite old and folded, where as an ET is more modern and probably rolled so I don't know if that makes a difference. If you're adventurous and have the materials available locally try doing it yourself, you get a little more enjoyment out of your posters when you frame them yourself and it's a whole lot cheaper.

MintyWhite

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »
If you're adventurous and have the materials available locally try doing it yourself, you get a little more enjoyment out of your posters when you frame them yourself and it's a whole lot cheaper.

I have considered making some frames, however I found it difficult finding the materials! I am keen to give it a go as I have lots of 3mm UV Anti Glare plexi sheets that are just stored doing nothing, plus I know I would enjoy it!

When I give it a go, I'll be sure to ask your advice!  ;)

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it!

MW

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
The Framers I use, will sell you the mouldings, in fact he will sell you anything you need...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
I have considered making some frames, however I found it difficult finding the materials! I am keen to give it a go as I have lots of 3mm UV Anti Glare plexi sheets that are just stored doing nothing, plus I know I would enjoy it!

When I give it a go, I'll be sure to ask your advice!  ;)

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it!

MW

I have used these guys for mouldings over the years.  Will sell rails up to 83"
http://www.pictureframes.com/frameindex/Frame-Types_Metal-Frames_Picture-Frames.html
-Jay-