Author Topic: Poster Toploader Sleeves  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Poster Toploader Sleeves
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »
I have a few questions for anyone who has used these or knows anything about them.

I am out of room at the moment and need to build another drawer or two for flat poster storage but keep running out of time to get to it or something else comes up and have been stacking posters on top of my light table for the past couple of months and really need my table back. What I want to do is store them, like mentioned in another thread on temporary storage, upright with some protection out of the way. There are many ideas for how to accomplish this.

I found these clear PVC toploader sleeves online. Link to an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BCW-TLCH-29X43-Poster-Topload-Top-Load-Holder-29-x-43-Loader-Sleeve-Cover-/400289632792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d331f1218 These are basically like oversized card sleeves for baseball cards. Someone here in NJ had a case of 15 for sale at a very reasonable price that I bought and picked up to save on shipping. When I got them back I checked them out and as expected found that they are quite bendable but that was not an issue as I planned to put them back in cardboard shipping case after filing them for storage. So with some experimenting I found that they can safely hold six or so posters each with no issues and proceeded to fill fourteen of them up. There are a bunch of recommendations that I would make on how to go about this if other people want to do the same thing and will be happy to post a quick tutorial on what I learned if anyone would like. It is not as simple as open and stuff the posters in sadly.

So here are the questions. Does anyone know if the plastic from these will degrade or cause any issues to the posters if I should leave them in there longer than the currently planned two to three months while I get around to building new drawers? Does anyone think that there will be any issues with anything like foxing since they are basically deprived of air while in these things? None of the posters are of significant age and area all early 70's or later for paper types. Can anyone else think of any long term cons to leaving them in the holders for longer periods of time say a year or more?

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Bruce

Re: Poster Toploader Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
I think your biggest issues are climate control. If the area is dry, cool and without sunlight or fluorescent light, and no vermin (mice, bugs, etc), then you should be fine.

But if this is true, they would almost surely be fine without any bags at all!