Author Topic: EBAY IDIOTS!!!!  (Read 64965 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
EBAY IDIOTS!!!!
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Frustrated!  I have had to file no less than 4 paypal claims of 7 orders made on ebay, because of posters ruined due to poor packing.  

And I don't mean "lightly bumpted."  These have been severely squashed due to using crappy tubes or (PUKE) USPS triangle mailers.

I'm worried Paypal is going to think I do this just to get out of paying for them!

This is why I stopped buying from Ebay Idiots a long time ago, and why I'm back to that again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:28:45 AM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: EBAY IDIOTS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
I am actually going through a claim right now. The seller sent the package in a cheap ass tube. When it arrived it was crushed. I managed to get the posters out and they were ruined. I sent the seller pictures and he said I was trying to commit fraud and he said he oped a fraud claim against me. I told the guy he is an idiot that he has nothing to prove that I am commiting fraud but I have all the proof with my pictures. The seller is a complete and utter jackass.

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
When you include all the crushed tubes, over-graded items, items that can't be located (or the dog peed on them) and the outright fakes and frauds in your total purchases from unknown sellers, the perceived great buys are not as great.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
That's why I just file the PayPal claim from the start.  Cut to the chase.

And you're right Bruce.  100%
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »
Outside of CM's eBay auctions, I've only purchased a poster once from a random seller on eBay. I mentioned my experience beforehand, but suffice it to say the "near mint" poster was barely "near poor". Fortunately, the seller was an honest (albeit ignorant) person who fully refunded me, including return shipping. But it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for buying from random people who don't know anything about posters - or shipping them. Yes, I understand that many people here have gotten awesome deals in the past from people, but I would rather pay a little bit more (or less) and get something from someone who knows what they are doing.

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
Of course, there are still eBay sellers like Dale Dilts who do an incredible job in every way, but I (and everyone else) are talking about random sellers, on eBay or anywhere.

guest4208

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:33:54 AM »
It is very frustrating when you receive badly packed items. When that happens you should leave appropriate feedback. 

I have two ebay stores on eBay and have maintained 100% feedback on both for years. I think when you bid with experienced sellers you are likely to get good service and secure packaging. If you bid with casual sellers you take your chances.

Another thing to consider is that the discussion boards are full of comments about buyers who want gorilla proof packaging and insurance but dont want to pay for it. Thats one of the problems with eBay trying to encourage sellers to offer free shipping.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
It is very frustrating when you receive badly packed items. When that happens you should leave appropriate feedback. 

I have two ebay stores on eBay and have maintained 100% feedback on both for years. I think when you bid with experienced sellers you are likely to get good service and secure packaging. If you bid with casual sellers you take your chances.

Another thing to consider is that the discussion boards are full of comments about buyers who want gorilla proof packaging and insurance but dont want to pay for it. Thats one of the problems with eBay trying to encourage sellers to offer free shipping.

Very good points.  One particularly disappointing one I filed a paypal claim on.  The seller was good in responding and offered either a refund or to ship new posters.  I went with new posters, pleased that they were available, and gently noted that they should be packed better to avoid the issue again.

Another seller refunded part of my shipping, but I let her know that I'd rather pay more in shipping to ensure safe arrival.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »

You seem to be attempting to affirm a common misconception.

Insurance, and proper packaging, is not the responsibility of the buyer/recipient. It is 100% up to the seller/shipper to package their products properly and insure (no pun intended) that they get to their destination. If a package is damaged, due to poor packaging or incompetent shipping, or never arrives to it's destination, the seller is the one who is at risk. The buyer doesn't have to accept the merchandise, or deal with filling loss paperwork, etc. Contrary to what many sellers like to claim, the buyer is not reasonable for this, nor liable for it not being done. If I pay for something, it needs to arrive at my destination in one piece and in proper condition, otherwise I will get a refund.

I often seen sellers who attempt to use scare tactics to get ignorant buyers to pony up more $$$ in effort to pay for tracking, insurance, etc., claiming that if they don't, they will be SOL on any claims. But this is nothing more than a way for sellers to trick people into paying for their own costs.

Now, with that said, obviously insurance and proper packaging costs money, and in many cases is an absolute requirement. And since the seller is in the business of making money, they need to somehow recoup the cost for this service from the buyer (one way or the other). Whether that means charging something/more for S/H costs or taking it out of the profit of an item, that's completely up to the seller. But don't, as a seller, offer to sell me something for $X with $Y or free shipping, have my buy it, and then attempt to blackmail me into paying extra to get my item to me in one piece. (By the way, this is directed to sellers in general, not you personally).

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:06:30 PM by enki »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Insurance, and proper packaging, is not the responsibility of the buyer/recipient. It is 100% up to the seller/shipper to package their products properly and insure (no pun intended) that they get to their destination. If a package is damaged, due to poor packaging or incompetent shipping, or never arrives to it's destination, the seller is the one who is at risk. The buyer doesn't have to accept the merchandise, or deal with filling loss paperwork, etc. Contrary to what many sellers like to claim, the buyer is not reasonable for this, nor liable for it not being done. If I pay for something, it needs to arrive at my destination in one piece and in proper condition, otherwise I will get a refund.

I often seen sellers who attempt to use scare tactics to get ignorant buyers to pony up more $$$ in effort to pay for tracking, insurance, etc., claiming that if they don't, they will be SOL on any claims. But this is nothing more than a way for sellers to trick people into paying for their own costs.

Now, with that said, obviously insurance and proper packaging costs money, and in many cases is an absolute requirement. And since the seller is in the business of making money, they need to somehow recoup the cost for this service from the buyer (one way or the other). Whether that means charging something/more for S/H costs or taking it out of the profit of an item, that's completely up to the seller. But don't, as a seller, offer to sell me something for $X with $Y or free shipping, have my buy it, and then attempt to blackmail me into paying extra to get my item to me in one piece. (By the way, this is directed to sellers in general, not you personally).

Fantastic response, enki!

I couldn't agree more.

clap clap clap

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
I've posted this before, but I've had good success avoiding packaging problems by sending unknown sellers a link to this page BEFORE they ship:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html

I send a message like this:

"I've received many packages from Ebay sellers that were damaged in transit.  Please be sure to follow these guidelines to avoid any shipping issues:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Shipping_Posters.html"

Usually I get a positive response back like this:

Dear alphamel1968,

Thank you for your purchases and instant payments. I also appreciate your link on proper shipping of posters.  I absolutely will ship these in the proper manner and in a proper hard tube, inside of the triangular priority mail carton.  You definitely chose the two most stunning DWTS posters.  I'll ship tomorrow, Saturday, for you.  I hope you enjoy them!  Thanks again, Linda

- lindac5099

Sometime I get a blowoff response like "we always ship safely."

But anyway it seems to have cut down on these situations.

guest4208

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

Insurance, and proper packaging, is not the responsibility of the buyer/recipient. It is 100% up to the seller/shipper to package their products properly and insure (no pun intended) that they get to their destination.

Of course packaging and secure shipping is the responsibility of the seller. I am simply saying that by encouraging sellers to offer free shipping they are end up getting sellers who cut corners on packaging and don't use tracking for their packages.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:02:23 AM »
That's why I just file the PayPal claim from the start.  Cut to the chase.

I am so quick at this.  It bores me to death to argue with sellers.  I file a complain, send their shit back to them, get reimbursed and leave negs if they rub me the wrong way.  Then I never buy from them again.

My biggest beef these days are sellers who described their items as mint and it comes with marks.  Any mark, really.  I want anything post 1990 to be in immaculate condition, which is why I only buy mint.  Mint means immaculate, right?  Some sellers understand it and I keep buying from them.  I have my list.  But sometimes I have to use people I don't know.  I either destroy or send back anything that doesn't meet my requirements.  Depending on the sellers' reaction, they either reimburse me, let me trash their poster or send it back to them, or argue and get negs after I get my money back (if the price is substantial enough to warrant a Paypal dispute).

T
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:03:59 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

ozcinemagic

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
I don't see many experienced sellers describing posters as mint.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
Especially under the conditions that my fanatical better half requires.  But, mint is mint and if they use the work mint, it better be mint.  It's just dumb to describe anything as mint, though.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
Sometimes they don't describe it (actually, a lot of times) and just use the Ebay description "New Item, unused, " something to that extent, which to me means mint.  New is new, right?  When something is new, it doesn't have any sort of defects.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
I got a poster yesterday and it was packaged great! But I was surprised because I had bought a bus shelter and it was a standard 27x40 poster .. i was all like WTF!!? So I went and pulled up the auction .. and there it was plain as day in the title and description 27x40 !! :P I had emailed the seller asking about bus shelters and they replied saying that they would put one up with a BIN in a couple of mins .. so when it popped up I didn't even look I just bought it .. that'll teach me! :D

I'm just another ebay idiot!! ;)

ozcinemagic

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
There's a lot of theatrics with Paypal disputes and the whole thing is ugly. I reckon if you're buying a poster of any value you should request a high-res pic of the actual item. Ebay's message system now has an option for attachments. If your average Joe doesn't see any tears of large stains, then they probably think it's okay to describe as new. My first reaction would always be to expect less than what is described.
The only time I have ever left a neg is when someone has deliberately set out to deceive / hide faults. It's happened about twice in eight years.
As far as packaging problems go, just collect daybills and you won't have any issues. Those small tubes never get mangled!  :)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
Imagine, I get a tube today from Tom in Singapore and it's in perfect condition.  Send a tube from somewhere in the US?  It's a f'd up mess.

Go figure.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
Sometimes it's not the dealers fault (USPS managed to crush the tube at the top even though it was a solid tube......)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I aways say it's the postal companies fault, I've had the thickest of tubes destroyed, and the next week a tube thinner than a toilet roll tube makes it here O.K. WHY??
Unfortunately you don't need a Phd to join the postal services, they only hire Lazy, incompetent twats who feel the world owes them for being thick...

If I had my way I would .... Oh ya, right we don't want to go there again... ;)     
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
Knock on wood, I received 2 items last week, one from Peru, the other from here in the good ol' USA. Both arrived without a scrape, aside from a tiny tear in the padded envelope that held the one shipped cross country.

Both are folded posters, so at least the threat of crushed or bent tubes is taken out of the mix.

I cross fingers (and anything else i can), tho, while things are in transit..

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
Here are 2 recently received. The small surface tear was the only ding received while that package traveled. The other was fine..

Both shipments a  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
The past few posters I have purchased from eBay were packaged so ridiculously, that I had to get refunded or ask for a partial refund.
Beyond frustrating. Some of these have been posters I have been after for YEARS...so it makes it all the more heartbreaking...

The biggest annoyance as of late is the refusal to place the poster in a sleeve or kraft paper/etc...instead electing to just throw it in a tube and letting it expand inside. Just inane. Seriously, cannot take it any more.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
3...2...1...Bruce post about eMovie gorilla-proof packaging ;)
Chris