Author Topic: Anyone bought from 'manifesti'?  (Read 3518 times)

Through the Stones

Anyone bought from 'manifesti'?
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
Looking right now at some of his stuff.  Shipping seems high ($25) but he/she states that options are available and he's in Switzerland. He's also using the same picture from the last auction of the same title... He has what I want and could be a steal.

Thanks in advance!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Anyone bought from 'manifesti'?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
Yes. Word of caution, it is hard to get a good determination of condition on items with the images. I have had a couple items that I was disappointed to see when they arrived in the shape they did.

Not saying stay clear, just keep this in mind.

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »
Yes. Word of caution, it is hard to get a good determination of condition on items with the images. I have had a couple items that I was disappointed to see when they arrived in the shape they did.

Not saying stay clear, just keep this in mind.

I second that - I've bought from them and condition was 50/50...

Through the Stones

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
Cool.  Good stuff.  I ended up being the first bidder but let it go if I got outbid.  I can understand saving time by re-posting pictures if you have multiple but not in this hobby.  I collect some coins too and it's the same.  I gotta gotta gotta see it.  Condition paired with price is everything!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
I'd like to know where they're getting all these uncommon international posters.  Maybe a closed European "poster exchange" like the (now closed) NSS warehouses in the US?

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »
I'd like to know where they're getting all these uncommon international posters.  Maybe a closed European "poster exchange" like the (now closed) NSS warehouses in the US?

That's almost always the answer. Either that, or a "warehouse find" of the Rochester variety.

Through the Stones

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »
Any links or info about the 'Rochester' find?  I love hearing stories like this.  Maybe we can start a thread about famous finds?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Funnily, I bought a poster from him a few weeks back, and it was in far better condition than the photo he had on his listing..

So it can work both ways, however I think I was very lucky. Not having a pic of the actual item is not a way I like to deal with anyone.
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
You're well-advised to pay attention to his (or her?) auctions. Definitely the best source of rare international one sheets out there.

Offline B1GR1G

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 08:30:46 PM »
Purchased a few from manifesti, most recent rang my alarm bells. Moonraker A0 size listed as brand new, folded. When I unfolded the poster it curled at the folds as if it had been rolled. Sent a few messages asking why this poster was like this and she stated that she folded it as it had been a rolled poster. Paper stock seems a little off, has a matte finish to it, I suspect that it is a reprint as some of the lettering is soft. It seems to be in too good a condition for a poster printed 25 years ago

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 12:26:01 AM »
Assume you mean 45 years ago, but there are lots and lots of mint posters out there from that period and older.
(no idea if this is one of them, as I've never owned a German Moonraker, but in general German posters from this period aren't particularly rare)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline B1GR1G

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2024, 03:37:01 AM »
Purchased a few from manifesti, most recent rang my alarm bells. Moonraker A0 size listed as brand new, folded. When I unfolded the poster it curled at the folds as if it had been rolled. Sent a few messages asking why this poster was like this and she stated that she folded it as it had been a rolled poster. Paper stock seems a little off, has a matte finish to it, I suspect that it is a reprint as some of the lettering is soft. It seems to be in too good a condition for a poster printed 45 years ago. Big thumbs, lol

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 04:18:43 PM »
I used to buy from Manifesti quite a lot.  Prob bought 200-300 posters.  Then the lady, I think it’s a lady, sent me the wrong poster at the height of Covid and requested that I send her back the poster before she sent me the right one.  I mean, she wanted me to go to the post office, stand in line in late 2020 and mail her a poster she sent by mistake.  After years of services.  That was it for me.  I never bought from her again and never will.

T
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 04:20:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 09:18:57 PM »
What you're calling "soft letters" appears to be a result of the printing process for posters of that time.  They were printed with dot matrix printers and some letters often appear like that.  It's a cool printing style IMO.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2024, 10:34:06 PM »
I used to buy from Manifesti quite a lot.  Prob bought 200-300 posters.  Then the lady, I think it’s a lady, sent me the wrong poster at the height of Covid and requested that I send her back the poster before she sent me the right one.  I mean, she wanted me to go to the post office, stand in line in late 2020 and mail her a poster she sent by mistake.  After years of services.  That was it for me.  I never bought from her again and never will.

T

She could've just sent a prepaid shipping label - she already had the package dimensions and weight (assuming it wasn't destroyed when you opened it) and you could have left it for the mail carrier.  What a crazy time during COVID with people staying in their homes.  So much stuff was shut down.  USPS and the other delivery companies were busy as ever though.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 12:33:52 AM by Neo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 12:27:35 AM »
Her attitude was just nasty and I don’t accept this kind of behavior from anyone.  Trust me, she lost a lot of business from losing me, especially at a time when I was buying more than 1,000 posters a year.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)