Author Topic: Can anyone identify this, please?  (Read 4712 times)

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
Can anyone identify this, please?
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Hello!
During our weekend at the NEC Memorabilia Fair, we were asked by another dealer if we could help identify this item ...

... it measures 72" x 27" approx - with an overlap/join at approx 12" from the bottom ... not sure if it's some sort of commercial item or if it's something more exciting ... the paper 'feels' like 1960s/1970s approx, but that's just a guess.  There is no text anywhere - just the image.

Thanks for any advice, which I will pass to the present owner.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Can anyone identify this, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
Hello Terry, Certainly can they were for sale in the back of famous monsters for $1.99 from around the mid 60's and through out the 70's. I'll see if I can dig a pic out for you. There was a bulk lot of them found in the States a couple of years back. A chap on ebay was selling them for quite a while, but he was after about £30 each for them, which I thought was a bit high.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Hi, Paul!
That's fantastic - many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply which I will pass to the owner immediately.
Best wishes,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »
Had a quick look, I thought I had quite a few un-bagged Famous monsters, turns out not so. Anyway I found this in a 2005 issue it says the 6 foot pics are no longer availible, just in these smaller prints of the old ads.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
Aha!  Here is a blast from the past.  I used to have one of these on my bedroom wall as a lad in the 60s.  While the following story does not authenticate anything, you might find it "enlightening."

Growing up in the New York/Long Island area, there was a special promotion around the time Aurora (I believe it was Aurora) released an oversized model of Frankenstein that had movable arms and a long chain connected to a hunk of stone (plastic).  The arms were connected through the shoulders by a very large rubber band, so you could move both arms up and down.  The model was approx. 2 1/2 feet tall. I had one and I was the envy of the neighborhood.  Enough about the model and back to the poster.

One night around that time, my Mom and Dad gathered me and my brother up and took us out for a "surprise."  They told us we were going to go see someone special who was appearing at a local department store.  When we got to the store -- and I can't remember which store that was, either Macy's, Abraham & Strauss or E.J. Korvettes -- a large crowd had gathered, complete with security guards brandishing machine guns (these were probably actors with toy guns).  In the middle of the crowd was a hulking brute -- the Frankenstein Monster.

He was sitting in a huge chair, signing those posters with a magic marker and grunting and growling for the kids.

We had just gotten in under the wire and were amongst the last to get our posters signed.  As we neared Franky, I got scared.  Real scared.
The guards were playing it to the hilt..."Don't get too close, kid.  He's mean and dangerous."  Nonsense now, but scary then.  The dude had great makeup and we kids thought he was the real Frankenstein from the movies.  I was shaking like a leaf.

He signed my poster "Franky," and as we stepped back to take it all in, the guards declared that the show was over and everybody had to clear the way for the monster's departure. Then, with a rustling of chains and grunts and growls, the Monster stood up towering over us.  As he turned to leave, he lurched towards us and went "Aaaarrrgggghhh." shaking his outstretched arms in our direction.

Now, even though I was a little kid, I didn't scream in fear.  I did the next best thing -- the quiet thing -- I wet my pants.  How fargin' embarrassing!
That was a bodily function my family never let me off the hook for.  I was ribbed by them for years, "Did big, bad ol' Franky make you wet your pants?"

True story, I kid you not.

According to the pics that I found of the model, it was released in 1964.  That makes it about right. The signed poster stayed on my wall for years, finally becoming tattered and covered with all sorts of shit my brother and I would throw at one another. The model -- well, we eventually packed it full of firecrackers and put it out of it's misery. Wish I still had both.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  Ooops, are my pants damp???

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »
Thanks for that, Brude!

Best wishes,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
Had a quick look, I thought I had quite a few un-bagged Famous monsters, turns out not so. Anyway I found this in a 2005 issue it says the 6 foot pics are no longer availible, just in these smaller prints of the old ads.

Oh-Ho-Ho.. I'm going to post a pic for you when I find the scans
will yu fellas be shocked!!!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
Oh-Ho-Ho.. I'm going to post a pic for you when I find the scans
will yu fellas be shocked!!!!

... can't wait ... !

T

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
oh.. I posted to the wrong string.. here it is
this IS NOT a photo of the poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
..... The model -- well, we eventually packed it full of firecrackers and put it out of it's misery. Wish I still had both......

I bet you wish you had it even more now as a mint boxed big Franky sells around $2500, a tatty one with a box would still bring $1000. The pic is from a 1993 price guide.

Hey Rich is that the original art work For the other Famous Monsters big poster???

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
yes indeed Paul

I don't own it anymore.. sold it in '94 for $10k
but I had a transparency shot so I could reprint it.. one of these days

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
Was the art work done full size or blown up from a smaller sketch?

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Yup, that poster has been around a while.  Here's an example from last year's Wizard World Chicago

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
the art was 30 inches high

-------