Author Topic: Machine folded vs user folded  (Read 1855 times)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Machine folded vs user folded
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
I know that machine folds are not considered defects, etc etc (http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/index/articles/fold.asp).
But what about rolled posters that have been folded by a human? How much does this affect a poster's value?
I've been looking at a few posters that were reportedly folded for storage reasons, which I can understand, but I wasn't sure how the uneven folding would affect their value.
Also, I don't know that I could stand to look at a poster with a lopsided fold.
Thanks for the input.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Machine folded vs user folded
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
It's personal preference really.  A lot will depend on rarity in folded vs. rolled states...

Personally on older posters I think you have to accept a few extra creases and folds sometimes.

If I were a collector of shiny modern paper I would consider "hand folded" posters a major condition issue
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
A person opting to hand fold a rolled poster  :o  = damaging that poster = reduced value (IMHO).

Let alone it being done with lopsided folds.   Ouch!

-Jeff

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
I've encountered this most recently with contemporary wilding posters. The fact that (i) they get loosely folded to assist with the distribution exercise on the streets and (ii) complete sets can be hard to find anyway means that I am not too bothered. They flatten out in mylar pockets.

What you have to watch out for are reprint posters, usually found rolled, which get folded for "greater authenticity". An example would be the Scarface one sheet.

Mark

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
I've done it myself, firstly because I hate rolled posters, they are nightmare to deal with.  But I wouldn't fold anything worth more than $10. Just crap that will probably never sell anyway and I can't bring myself to throw away. Stuff I use for gift wrap.
You can fold quite nicely with a long ruler, sliding between the fold to the edge and making a straight firm fold, then running along the outside over the fold to sharpen the fold.
Looks pretty much machine folded if you take your time. If I had a folding machine I'd probably get everything folded as I don't have much rolled of any real value and I just hate them. Except small posters of course, half sheets, inserts, Belgians, I don't mind flat.
As to value I think it depends on the poster/era. And as Chris says modern glossy stuff doesn't look as good folded and hand folded even worse. Whoever decided posters should be sent out rolled though deserves a slap IMHO. ;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!