Author Topic: Farewell, but not goodbye... its been fun.  (Read 9975 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Farewell, but not goodbye... its been fun.
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »
Hey all-
Its been fun all, but I think I need to extricate myself from the forum for a while.  I'm supposed to be finishing my PhD in two months and I have mucho research and writing left to finish.  Judging by the little log at the top of the forum (currently at 5 days, 5 hours and 41 minutes -- that is almost 2 hours a day!) I'm spending WAY too much time here [on a side note, is there a way to turn that log off?].  And not just here... ebay searches, weekly eMovie/Movieposterbid/Heritage searches, post offices, framing, restoration, researching the photo archives, etc...  I think its time for a break and the only way to do it is go cold turkey.  As of Sunday 12pm Eastern I'm logging off for good, turning off PMs, unsubscribing to MoPo, and canceling my auto searches.

If all goes well, I'll be back in June or July sometime... hopefully with some added initials on my name.  The market seems to be down in the dumpers right now, but that means I expect you all to be snapping up the bargains while I'm gone. 

Y'all are a great bunch... take care.  I'll leave the last words in more capable hands than my own:

Its time for me to fly, oh, I've got to set myself free
Time for me to fly - and that's just how it's got to be
I know it hurts to say goodbye
But it's time for me to fly.

-REO Speedwagon

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Farewell, but not goodbye... its been fun.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
Speaking of rock bands… if they have taught me one thing it is that you can’t have a farewell without a farewell tour.  I’ve been promising a look around my new house for a while now so here is a quick tour of what I have on the walls.  Keep in mind it is still a work in progress…

As soon as you walk into the house, there is an open stairwell straight in front of you… this photo is skewed to the right just a touch.  We mostly have other art in this room, but I’ve managed to squeeze a few posters in as well.

Our house is a 1912 Victorian that we are restoring, but we are trying to keep it kind of mod.  To that effect, we tried to do some funky things like leaving the back of the brick chimney exposed.  I think most people who want a historic home would turn their nose up at some of our ideas.  F ‘em… it’s my house now, you can drywall over later if you don’t like it ;) 

I thought my Polish Roman Holiday went perfectly on it as it reminded me of the exposed ancient walls in Rome.

And we didn’t plan it this way, but both Roman Holidays (this R60 international 1-sheet) went best in this room -- luckily most people wouldn’t know they are the same title. 

Now, if you turn immediately to your left when walking in our house, there is a small living room, but we use it as a library/work room.  I’m including a picture of this piece for T as I know he was interested in seeing some of our art.  This one is really beautiful and huge (even if the muse was a bit sad).  It is inspired by photos looking down at the rooftops after Katrina…

This room will probably only end up having one poster… my East German Lavender Hill Mob.  Man I love that poster though!

Now, if you are back in the entryway, just before the start of the stairs on the left is an original first-floor bedroom (that is pretty unique for an old house).  However, we already have 4 bedrooms upstairs so this room has become our movie/livingroom. 

Here is what you see as you enter.

If you start turning to your right, this is what you see as you go around the room.  First up, an Edward Hopper print of “New York Theater” and a R80 Cuban silkscreen for Soy Cuba.

I think most of you saw this wall when I posted the Chirashi.  Right now there is an R46 La Grande Illusion and a small Czech Jaws poster.  I’ll also be adding my small Czech Midnight Cowboy at some point.  As for the adjacent wall… eventually, I hope to put either the old frame from the theater I’m restoring here (that will allow me to swap out posters) or my French 1-Panel of Beauty and the Beast or my new Get Carter… not sure what to do yet.

On a side note, check out this sweet movie spotlight I got off eBay.  I ripped out the unworking high-watt halogen(?) assembly and put in a CFL :)

I think you’ve all seen my Chirashi wall-paper by now… that was definitely a fun project.  Likewise, most of you have seen my French Le Samourai, but the TCAT ½ sheet is new… its my favorite paper (no disrespect to your quad scartacus ;)) for this film.  I absolutely LOVE how her hair flows back and basically becomes the courtyard light.  I also liked how he was balancing on the rooftops and more or less hanging out up at the top of our room! 

Just to orient you, the back side of this wall (below) is the wall in the library with the big painting on it.  From left to right… African Queen UK 1-sheet, Once Upon a Time in the West WC (intact and clean snipe area, but the big orange mat hides it), African Queen Polish, and a print of Kandinsky’s “Zunehmen” from the NC Museum of Art (sadly dry-mounted and posterized before we knew any better).  My wife used the Kandinsky print for our color inspiration in the room (blues, oranges, reds, blacks, etc…). 

And of course, the ever so beautiful L’Avventura French 1-panel.  It dominates the room, but rightfully so.  I’d much rather walk in a room and be blown over by a poster like this than, more often than not these days, walk into someone’s living room and be blown over by the size of the TV!  Oh yes, and we can’t forget the Alamo Goldfinger print to the right…

I of course love watching big TVs, but they are kind of a buzz kill for me when it’s the first thing you notice in a room.  That is why mine retracts up to the ceiling!  This is my viewing position from the red couch. 

What…?  What’s that you say…?  You measure your TV in inches…?  How cute!  ;)

Last but not least… our sole reprint… relegated to the floor behind the door until we figure out what to do with it.

Hope you enjoyed the tour!  Maybe I'll have the rest of posters up by the time I start posting again...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
Sorry to see you go (for a while, anyway) but life takes precedence over hobbies.  Best of luck on your doctorate, Harry.  Btw, you did an outstanding job displaying posters in your house.  Looks fantastic and goes well with the decor.

wonka

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
Later man...the social aspect of this hobby is better with your involvement, but great to see your have your priorities (and work ethic) way above posters.  The tour you posted is just great, I am going to show my wife to help her understand that together, united and focused, we can achieve similar housing decor.  ;)

(Hey, send me your email address if you can...)

Take care, hope to 'see' you soon this summer!

Ben
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:07:46 PM by wonka »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »
what Wonka said and that is a nice place Harry.. I like the bricks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all.  Our monster house (one of the benefits of living in the South) has tons of walls so we've only just begun!  Err... wait... on second thought... cheap houses may be the only benefit to living in the south ;) 

I just unpacked that Spanish Dr. No so I'll have to get that one up at some point.  It'll probably need to be backed though... it is super fragile and you'd swear it was printed on newsprint.  The paper is crazy thin... a hard stare might punch a hole in it.  And there are bunch more I would love to get on the walls...

Actually, you guys would probably kill me... just today I started opening up (literally) piles of tubes and flat boxes.  I had been on a buying tear around the time we moved so I had a bunch of stuff that sat for months unopened... sorry... poster faux paus I know!  I figured it was my last hurrah before going into isolation though.

I did take pics so I'll post a few this weekend while I still can... it is now a race against the clock for me!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
Now you guys get to see my real taste in posters... not just the fancy-shmancy stuff I hang on the walls!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
Love your taste in posters...the hoidy toidy stuff aint bad either  :P

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
The other pieces are very nice, but that's my favorite version of the "Burn!" poster

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
The other pieces are very nice, but that's my favorite version of the "Burn!" poster

It's a great poster, but not my favorite by a long shot.  My fav is hanging in my wife's office (post-colonial and world lit prof!)... it is hand painted R70s Spanish poster that used the photo above for inspiration.  It is fantastic in person.  Unfortunately I don't have a photo handy, but here is the moviegoods rip (probably of my poster!).  The Italian poster is also pretty cool...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »
don't stay away too long .... I don't recommend it ... it could cause dire illness if you don't come back soon....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:34:22 PM »
See you later...you'll be missed...hit the books...blah...blah...blah...

You'll come crawlin' back...they all do...

Oh, by the way, nice fargin' posters, bastidge.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »
Love the house/apartment!  Good luck in completing your studies...
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »
You'll be missed Harry.  Good luck on the home stretch.  Since I finished my masters in august, I have been variously talking myself into and out of a PhD program.  I wish I had the motivation you had to get going on it.  Talk to you in a few months!

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

kauaitx

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »

It's sad to see you take a hiatus, Harry, but I understand the necessity of going cold turkey, because if you don't, it's too hard to resist temptation otherwise.  I had to do it myself a few years back.

I wish you the best in completing your Ph.D.

And, my, what a great setup you and your wife did with your house.  I like the artful arrangements of the posters without the stuffiness of formality and that there was a reason why you put each poster in its particular place.

Don't stay away too long.

Jeannie

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:33 AM »
Cya and good luck!

scartacus

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 04:29:56 AM »
Hasta la proxima, Harry.

PS I'm so glad you never did put up that list of posters for sale. And yes, that TCAT half sheet looks stunning.

scartacus

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »
One last question!

What's the paper on the ladykillers? Is that a quad or a 1/2 sheet? Likewise is that other Ladykillers poster a US or UK one sheet

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
Its a US 1-sheet and a US 1/2 sheet.  I bought them only because I wanted some paper for that film and they were cheap ($25 shipped for the pair).  Both are pretty bland IMO...

The quad is vastly superior:

In fact all the UK paper is pretty good (1-sheet and DC).  Also, I like the German original and re-release as well.  Here is the original German poster:

sergmark

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
Good luck on the PHD !! I have trouble studying so I can imagine what you need to do  :o
Awesome house..  sm1 I hope to have more movie things around the home !
Great posters !! Like the African Queen !!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Well, I think that's about it folks.  I tried to put in one last hail mary bid on the "It Happened One Night" WC on eBay tonight but came up short.  Oh well, it would have been a nice way to go...  At least I still get to look forward to my Get Carter arriving next week!

On a different note... its harder than you'd think to eliminate all poster-hunting temptations... Here is what I've done so far:

• Deleted eBay searches
  • Cleared browser search history (to stop APF from coming up in the URL bar when I type 'a'!)
  • Cleared browser password history
  • Deleted browser bookmarks
  • Removed myself from eMovieposter mailing lists
  • Removed myself from movieposterbid mailing list
  • Removed myself from Heritage mailing lists
  • Removed myself from Profiles in History mailing list
  • Removed myself from Christie's mailing list
  • Removed myself from MoPo email list

So... what am I missing?  Well, I guess I'll figure it out when I start receiving email! 

Take care all.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:47:10 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 12:01:53 AM »
As of 1:30pm last Friday, I'm now Dr. Harry Caul!

So... how has everyone been doing?  What did I miss?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
Congrats Harry!!  Been doing great, I am now daddy Schan.  Good to have you back buddy!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:25 AM »
Welcome back, Dr. Caul!  We were all pulling for you.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
Welcome back, Harry.

Stan (your assistant).
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)