Author Topic: Lobby Card restoration  (Read 11341 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Lobby Card restoration
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
In one of Heritage's signature auctions, there is a Casablanca title lobby card whose price is currently on the ascendant, but that which has had some resoration performed.

In the large images, the work does seem to have made it a mint copy.

But I was wondering how exactly are lobbies restored?  Mounting them on linen would seem to be overkill on something of that size so, are they paper-backed instead, and all other work performed as per posters?

I am also wondering because I may get the Irish(?) From Russia with Love lobby card restored that I posted ni the Bond thread.

Cheers.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Lobby Card restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:04 AM »
Paper backing is the most popular method.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
I would avoid almost any lobby card that has been paperbacked (and especially linenbacked).

To me that is always an indication that the card was in extremely poor condition and had major problems before restoration.
Because of the thickness of lobbies, a good restorer should be able to work directly on the card without backing (and you can still see what has been done when holding it up to a strong light).

The colors on this copy look exceptional. The reds (and burnt orange) on the title card and the scene cards are notorious for fading.
Similar problem with Wizard of Oz and King Kong cards where the reds in the border/logo areas are often found faded. I think cards with still outstanding color should always command a premium.

I did a quick look at the From Russia With Love card you posted and that should be an easy fix for a restorer as you are really only dealing with corner piece replacement, so certainly no paperbacking necessary. My guess is it would probably run around $100 to fix it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
Hmm - fascinating.

I will take this along to Poster Science in London and see what he says.

Very much appreciated both.

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Wonder if I could have your views. This LC looks rather dirty. I wonder if there is any simple way to "wash it"..it needs a bath. Any tips?

Thank you 😊

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:09:54 AM »
Rosa,

Some of that looks like smudges and the one at the top border, and in the center of the card, almost look like marks of some other kind- possible tape residue that has gotten darker from adhered dirt over the years The darker spots on the lower right border might be mildew or mold. . A bath would work to remove any surface dirt, for sure and light bleaching could deal with the mold/mildew.

If the mark in the body of the card is tape residue (same on the top border), a restorer could test and see if the adhesive was water based. If so, that could dissolve in the wash or bleach bath... maybe with some added use of a cotton bud or brush to help remove it.

Overall, tho, the colors look bright and vibrant. And the corner pin holes could be repaired and filled in, too.

Is this kept in any kind of protective, plastic sleeve?

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »
Thanks Jeff. Yes. You are right.It is on a protective sleeve. I was hoping to avoid going to a restorer..The tape marks look so dirty that it feels almost like you could rub it off .....

Uhm. .what a shame. .i might have to take it for a professional bath....

Uhm...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 03:46:40 AM »
Or.    Just relax and enjoy it is as it is. :)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:42 AM »
Or.    Just relax and enjoy it is as it is. :)

that's my vote

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
It looks dirty to me. I was wondering if there was something obvious that i could do  to gently remove the dirt..

Or so true. ....I could just relax.you might be right....Thank you!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
Pretty sure the middle top discolouration is rust stains from a paperclip - see this a lot on title lobbies (being at the front of the stack and all...)
Chris

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 03:23:36 AM »
"A bath would work to remove any surface dirt"

Can it help with removing sharpie.....instead of sticking to dry erase method I decided to add more blue sharpie but it stuck , maybe try nail polish remover  faint2.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 04:53:48 AM »
:)

I actually decided to keep / enjoy/ it as it is

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 04:57:42 AM »
:)

I actually decided to keep / enjoy/ it as it is

good on you.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
I would avoid almost any lobby card that has been paperbacked (and especially linenbacked).

To me that is always an indication that the card was in extremely poor condition and had major problems before restoration.
Because of the thickness of lobbies, a good restorer should be able to work directly on the card without backing (and you can still see what has been done when holding it up to a strong light).

The colors on this copy look exceptional. The reds (and burnt orange) on the title card and the scene cards are notorious for fading.
Similar problem with Wizard of Oz and King Kong cards where the reds in the border/logo areas are often found faded. I think cards with still outstanding color should always command a premium.

I did a quick look at the From Russia With Love card you posted and that should be an easy fix for a restorer as you are really only dealing with corner piece replacement, so certainly no paperbacking necessary. My guess is it would probably run around $100 to fix it.

Sean, are there any exceptions where you would consider a card that had been worked on in this way? For example, if you had a super rare card that had some stabilization issues and had it paper backed to give it that added support, would that be Ok, in your opinion?

(And i see your point, though, where there is potential of problem issues being hidden if not disclosed on a piece that one bought that was already backed and retouched/repaired).

And are LC often linen backed? Personally, I wouldn't want one that was linen backed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:31:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
In one of Heritage's signature auctions, there is a Casablanca title lobby card whose price is currently on the ascendant, but that which has had some resoration performed.

In the large images, the work does seem to have made it a mint copy.

But I was wondering how exactly are lobbies restored?  Mounting them on linen would seem to be overkill on something of that size so, are they paper-backed instead, and all other work performed as per posters?

I am also wondering because I may get the Irish(?) From Russia with Love lobby card restored that I posted in the Bond thread.

Cheers.

Simon, did you ever have this card worked on? Or did you decide to leave it as it was?

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 03:23:42 AM »
Ah, sorry Jeff.  I did miss this.

In the end no, I didn't get the work done on it as the one UK person I tried said to back it.  And I was hoping for a building up of what was already there bearing in mind the structure of the existing card.

So, I left it.

Amazed at how long ago all that was.  Thanks for surfacing it.  Best.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »
Diane Jeffrey of Studio C posted this to MOPO with regard to a question someone asked about how LC can be restored, stabilized, conserved etc:

Her response:

"Hi ...(all) -  Thought it might be helpful to chime in regarding this linen backing/restoration thread:

For linen backed posters, if you hold up the poster with really good sun light coming through, any restoration work ( holes, missing paper etc) should be clearly visible.  I am sure some of you know this.

For lobby cards, they would not be linen backed.  In worse cases, they would be paper backed with major restoration.  Generally, what we do with lobby cards is to clean ( sometimes just surface) or a washing, fill pin holes and do some light touch up.  Goal here, is to leave them as natural as possible, just some “sprucing up”.  Of, course they can be de-acidified too.

Let me know any questions, am happy to answer.

Diane
Studio C"

Im including her email address here, in case anyone might want to contact her directly with additional questions:

dianejeffrey@ROADRUNNER.COM

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
Digging this out, and hopefully revisiting the efforts required to do the Russia card and now a Saint card, please could someone tell me what is the cement or filler used to apply directly to the card?

The Saint card really only has minor pin holes and I was thinking of applying filler and shaving with a razor to create the flatness to card.

Many thanks.