Author Topic: Pictures of posters in action  (Read 305634 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Pictures of posters in action
« Reply #650 on: January 08, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
Cool photo, poster, and studio. It's a photo that Poster Conservation is tagged in, on Instagram.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:03:26 PM by Neo »

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #651 on: January 08, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »
Nice one. Looking back through the earlier posts on this thread there are some fabulous photos of cinema frontages. How about this one for a Munich cinema with a display from the original release of Metropolis:

If you look at the extreme right pillar there is what appears to be a three sheet poster of Brigitte Helm as Maria in close up, with another showing different artwork on the second pillar in from the left, which looks like the current "poster world record holder". Makes you want to be able to tap on the shoulder of one of the figures outside and say "pssst, just reach up, remove those posters and keep for the next eighty years - believe me, it will be worth it!"

The photo comes from a site with all things Metropolis:

https://www.uow.edu.au/~morgan/Metroja.htm

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #652 on: January 08, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

Some truly amazing posters on that page. I found the Hungarian poster (#7 on the page) especially striking, and I had never seen it before.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #653 on: January 08, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
Nice one. Looking back through the earlier posts on this thread there are some fabulous photos of cinema frontages. How about this one for a Munich cinema with a display from the original release of Metropolis:

If you look at the extreme right pillar there is what appears to be a three sheet poster of Brigitte Helm as Maria in close up, with another showing different artwork on the second pillar in from the left, which looks like the current "poster world record holder". Makes you want to be able to tap on the shoulder of one of the figures outside and say "pssst, just reach up, remove those posters and keep for the next eighty years - believe me, it will be worth it!"

Great pic and find there, Martin.  sm1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #654 on: January 08, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Amazing!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #655 on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:45 PM »
Outstanding photo, MC.  Probably not many photos featuring both styles of 3-sheets.  The film really has a lot of great posters, and that website shows them well.   cool1

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #656 on: January 09, 2017, 06:36:20 AM »
This is a photo of the publicity launch of "Things To Come" at a US movie theatre:

Unfortunately, you only get an idea of the paper on display in the right of the photo but the spacemen (and spacecar) are nice. Here they are in a bit more of a close-up:

I'm guessing it must be a New York location going by the name of the photo agency but does anyone recognise the actual movie theatre (next to what looks like Lindy's)?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
This is a photo of the publicity launch of "Things To Come" at a US movie theatre:

Unfortunately, you only get an idea of the paper on display in the right of the photo but the spacemen (and spacecar) are nice. Here they are in a bit more of a close-up:

I'm guessing it must be a New York location going by the name of the photo agency but does anyone recognise the actual movie theatre (next to what looks like Lindy's)?

I found this on the imdb page for Things To Come, identifying the theater where it premiered in the US:

"The film drew huge audiences upon its opening in New York City. Advertisements for the film mentioned that large crowds continually flocked to New York's Rivoli Theatre from 9:30am on opening day until the ad went to press four days later.
The initial interest in the film apparently wore off, as the film earned significantly less at the box office than the studio had expected."

Lindy's was located at 1626 Broadway and The Rivoli Theater is next door, at 1620 Broadway.

Here's a shot from 1954, showing both locations, when Rear Window was playing there, and showing some nice advert material as well on display for RW  :D:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:24:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #658 on: February 08, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
I must confess I've never been in this thread until yesterday.

It is the best thread in this forum by a mile. Amazing photos
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »
Just watched one of my favorites and went hunting for some pics.

More here: http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2006/08/howard-hawks-amazing-movie-some.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »
A hand painted billboard in Bangkok, Thailand, for the Dec 2001 opening of LOTR

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #661 on: February 12, 2017, 04:38:18 AM »
That one for Lord of the Rings Looks pretty good.  It's cool to see a hand painted labor of work like that.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:55 AM »

I found this on the imdb page for Things To Come, identifying the theater where it premiered in the US:

"The film drew huge audiences upon its opening in New York City. Advertisements for the film mentioned that large crowds continually flocked to New York's Rivoli Theatre from 9:30am on opening day until the ad went to press four days later.
The initial interest in the film apparently wore off, as the film earned significantly less at the box office than the studio had expected."

Lindy's was located at 1626 Broadway and The Rivoli Theater is next door, at 1620 Broadway.

Jeff, that is a very impressive piece of detective work. Interesting comment about the film not doing well subsequently at the box office. Just shows that all the ballyhoo in the world can't make a film a sure-fire winner. I suppose its theme of imminent war with a collapsed post-war society wasn't exactly the thing to make the cash tills ring!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #663 on: February 12, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Cool image Brandon. I like how the "peep hole/window" is cut out just above the word, "Join." Looks like that building is under construction maybe?

What movie is that for?

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #664 on: February 12, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
What movie is that for?

Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt (pictured).
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #665 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
cheers

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #666 on: February 13, 2017, 02:14:26 AM »
cheers

Where is the thread with posters seen in movies ?? 
Thanks

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #668 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:37 AM »
from a series titled New York Street Photography in the Fifties by Frank Oscar Larson
http://everythingwithatwist.com

-Jay-

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #669 on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
They're fantastic. I love the use of framing in the last one.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #670 on: March 01, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
Very evocative photos. I particularly like the first one in the series - a tantalising glimpse of what must have been an enormous poster for On The Waterfront. Very appropriate having all the pigeons in the foreground given that Marlon was a pigeon-fancier in the film and also got accused of being a stool pigeon!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #671 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
They're fantastic. I love the use of framing in the last one.

As well as the ticket seller, wearing her 'sunglasses at night.' It was so very Corey Hart of her -- and long before he was around or even on the scene!

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #672 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
I really liked that first one.  Two iconic movies trying to outdo each other on the marquee

I also liked the ticket take being oh so cool.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #673 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
Dracula, 1958
aka Horror of Dracula (US):

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:08:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #674 on: March 07, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
Wow!
That is awesome.
I wonder just how many employees it took to put that masterpiece together.