Author Topic: Film related books.  (Read 8240 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Film related books.
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
I woke up at about 3am ish the other night and had a quick look on the board. I thought I saw Mark (repto) post some of his film books...Was I dreaming..it seems we have very similar tastes in books as well as posters. When I checked back his post was gone!  Maybe because it was in the wrong thread?? , so I'll start one here as a few others were going to post film related books to, and I'm keen to see what we all have...

So I must start with the Holy bible of Horror books...

I'm sure Mark posted this one...  hear's the revised version also.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Film related books.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
Some others from the library at Waines Manor....

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
I will have to check them out. I posted some of mine in the other topic under research and collecting though mine are not near as interesting as the one you posted.... but ... :P  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,654.0.html

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »
I have other Uni-Horror script books, I'll post some more soon they are a must if your a fan of the films...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
Some that I have:

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »

Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »

Please, please before I go crazy...Who is the man in glasses, top left? I do know him for sure, i have googled all names i can think of but the life of me I still cannot remember his name...who is him? eyeroll

Matt

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's David O. Selznick

Gone With the Wind producer amongst other great titles.

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
Gosh Matt

THANK YOU. I KEPT LOOKING AT PHOTOS YES, OF COURSE YOU ARE RIGHT, THAT'S HIM!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!
!

Matt

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »
No problemo Rosa. :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »
Yeah I do believe it's an older Selznick
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
Yeah I do believe it's an older Selznick

Probably taken in the early 1960's.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
Couple more I have:

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
A few off the shelf:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:12:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
I woke up at about 3am ish the other night and had a quick look on the board. I thought I saw Mark (repto) post some of his film books...Was I dreaming..it seems we have very similar tastes in books as well as posters. When I checked back his post was gone!  Maybe because it was in the wrong thread?? , so I'll start one here as a few others were going to post film related books to, and I'm keen to see what we all have...

Paul, Heroes of the Horrors was one of the first books I got as a teenager. It was a Xmas gift.

It is here on my shelf as i post this. What a great book. thumbup

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
I don't think I have that Lon of a 1000 faces, looks a jollyfine book, worth it for the cover alone...

Do you have "faces forms and films", I'll get a pic tomorrow of it...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
I don't think I have that Lon of a 1000 faces, looks a jollyfine book, worth it for the cover alone...

Do you have "faces forms and films", I'll get a pic tomorrow of it...

I do. It's one of the first books I bought in LA when I wandered into a bookstore on Hollywood Blvd.

Re: Lon Of 1000 Faces: Back in 2001, I made a second trip to Ackerman's house to do one of his Saturday morning guided tours of the Ackermansion and had him sign it...lol

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:56:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
That is the book Jeff, a jollyfine one too.

I'm thinking I must pick up that Noir encyclopaedia Chris posted, as well as the Lon of a 1000 faces.

Here's another few off the shelf...

These are a must have, full of very useful info

One of the best books written on the Uni-Frankys...

Very scarce...

This is a first rate read, if you haven't already...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
Several others:

This last is not a film related book, or even a film poster book. It was published in 1895, so talks more of early advertising posters by artists like Cheret and his contemporaries. Still a fascinating look at posters as they existed at the time the book was written.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:16:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »

No pics in this one.. just data and lists:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:12:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »
WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DISPLAY!!

Im thinking I must STOP buying posters and START buying all these incredible, beautiful looking books. I won't post here. You all put me to shame or rahter you all have inspired me to buy books...

er....

unless you keen to send them over to me...? if so, please send them to Rosackingham Palace etc, etc.. all would be graciously received ... ;)

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
Cinema Judaica: The War Years, 1939-1949   

Legendary collector of movie Judaica, Ken Sutak, has assembled a portion of his amazing collection into an about-to-be published book, titled "Cinema Judaica: The War Years, 1939-1949", which takes a unique look at how Jewish-themed movies prepared Americans for war with Nazi Germany, rallied the Allies to victory, fought anti-Semitism, portrayed the Holocaust in Europe, and captured the refugee exodus to Israel. This great book features 200 rare movie posters, publicity stills, and other images in full-color spread over 228 pages.

NOTE: The book is available in a Kindle version from Amazon.com for $9.99, and we at eMoviePoster.com are the exclusive online distributors of the softcover print edition (it will also be sold at museums). We are currently taking pre-orders for the cover price of $20, plus shipping, and it is expected back from the printer no later than August 1st, and of course, we will ship all pre-ordered copies the moment they arrive.

http://www.emovieposter.com/images/books/book_cinema_judaica_pdf.pdf

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 07:24:11 PM »
Cinema Judaica: The War Years, 1939-1949   

Legendary collector of movie Judaica, Ken Sutak, has assembled a portion of his amazing collection into an about-to-be published book, titled "Cinema Judaica: The War Years, 1939-1949", which takes a unique look at how Jewish-themed movies prepared Americans for war with Nazi Germany, rallied the Allies to victory, fought anti-Semitism, portrayed the Holocaust in Europe, and captured the refugee exodus to Israel. This great book features 200 rare movie posters, publicity stills, and other images in full-color spread over 228 pages.

NOTE: The book is available in a Kindle version from Amazon.com for $9.99, and we at eMoviePoster.com are the exclusive online distributors of the softcover print edition (it will also be sold at museums). We are currently taking pre-orders for the cover price of $20, plus shipping, and it is expected back from the printer no later than August 1st, and of course, we will ship all pre-ordered copies the moment they arrive.

Quite a worthy book, just downloaded it for my iPad.  Glancing over it, it's more text than posters, which is fine because I like history. 

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
The heaviest and most expensive book I've ever bought.  Well worth every cent though if you like Mario Bava.

Bruce

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »
Quite a worthy book, just downloaded it for my iPad.  Glancing over it, it's more text than posters, which is fine because I like history. 

Ken is REALLY an expert on this subject. I thought I knew most of what there was to know, but boy was I ever wrong. I learned so much from this book.