Author Topic: How much does trimming de-value a rare poster?  (Read 14311 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: How much does trimming de-value a rare poster?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
Make sure you do your homework good if its a trimmed Wizard of Oz half sheet.  There has been someone trying to unload one of those for a while.  I am not saying it is, but when something like that pops up continuously and does not sell, it often means there is something untoward.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

scartacus

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 04:00:53 AM »
Congrats on the Hunchback score, Paul. I was sorely tempted but chickened out when the seller told me the poster had been trimmed. Have you got it out of the frame yet? WHat's the condition like?

Did you pick up the guy's Ladykillers one sheet, too?

Pricewise, the starting price was £290?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
The guy is a bit strange. I wanted it sent with no frame, but he would not do it. Didn't want to disturb it as it has been there as long as he as had them.

So if you have a look at the "postage" section in about an hour, I have some pics to upload and the rest of the story?
It's more than a Hobby...

scartacus

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »
Was the poster mounted in any way? Weird that the guy insisted on sending with the frame -- did he send it with the glass intact? (!)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
Hello Dominic,  Yes the glass was intact, I have just heard back from him. He says he did not think it was glass?

The poster has been, for want of a better word "glued" to some thin card, but is starting to come away quite nicely. My main aim is to find a restorer who can do it justice now. The only problem being I cannot fold, or roll it. So it may have to be someone in this country. I may have to send a test poster to them first, unless anyone knows a first rate restorer in the U.K.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
There's another thread in here where someone asked about a restorer in the UK.  Can't remember which it is, but I did offer up  this link.  Never used his services, but if I recall he has a good name in the business

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
I have herd the name before, has anyone on the board had anything done by him?

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
I found the thread, Paul

As Harry says, I looked into the UK backing situation a month ago. Alain Bourguin at poster science is very well respected. I spoke to him about my poster but went with moviepostergallery's people in the end. Next week I should find out whether I made the right call and will post the results.

Bourguin was quoting me around £60 to back, £30-60 for acid bath and deacidifying -- I needed some replacement paper and art which he was quoting at £60 an hour.  The quote he gave me was a little open ended and I would recommend trying to nail down a firm quote if at all poss. 

This guy seems very reasonable on price but I haven't contacted him:

http://www.filmquadposters.co.uk/linenbacking.htm

scartacus

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:28 AM »
Hi Paul,

I actually contacted Alain Bourguoin about a ballpark quote for restoring the Hunchback poster -- I sent him the ebay photo and discussed prices for restoring the trimmed borders etc. You will be able to get a much more accurate quote with detailed pics etc but, taking all his initial comments into account, i reckoned it would cost £250, maybe a bit more depending on exact condition.

scartacus

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
Just reread your latest post -- the poster is glued? He gave me an assurance it had not been mounted to anything and was hanging free in the frame.   

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
Hello Dominic, Thanks for getting a ball park figure. I was starting to think it was going to be £400 or more, which is sort of out of my do it price range.

Yes it is stuck to a card, but luckily the glue is giving way, and the poster is peeling off.

The guy I bought it off does seem a bit.......er...vague shall we say? Not quite the best.

scartacus

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
The other wierd thing is the way he was pricing his one sheet Plainsman which he admitted wasn't original -- the cheeky so-and-so wanted £350 for it -- the same as his "original" Ladykillers one sheet. Very strange all round.   

I suspect the guy absolutely knew that his poster had been glued and he was lying to get the sale. But if the glue's not too hard then a restoration should all be dooable. Have you managed to find a reference photo of an untrimmed Hunchback poster? I couldn't find one anywhere -- your poster really is so rare...and beautiful. If you give it the TLC it needs, I'm sure it will be worth all the hassle.

Love to hear how you get on.     

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »
I have had a good look for a reference pic, but just drew a blank at the moment. I will have to see if a pressbook turns up.

The boarders are just plain white as there is about an 1/8" or more left of them, so an easy fix I think.

I was going to go back and see if I could get the lady killers at a decent price, but I may call it a day as he seems very odd?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
Well, the poster I was referencing is a trimmed Casablanca half sheet.  The seller claims he bought it in 1971 and that it's original.  Any thoughts whether this really is original?  This is the best pic I've got and all the info I've got, so now you know as much as I do.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
Wasn't that on eBay not all that long ago?

Maybe I am mistaken.

Also, should there not be at least some indication of fold lines?

Quite possibly a Portal Reprint...
Chris

scartacus

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 03:50:38 AM »
 I recently put a £10 punt on a Casablanca lobby card which seemed to show some of the symptoms of vintage paper -- but it was a photocopy! Until you get the poster out of the frame -- which many of these one off sellers don't like doing -- it's very difficult to tell.

What can we tell from your photo? All complete guesswork but it looks like the top layer of paper COULD BE glued/ mounted. Like the top left corner of Paul's Hunchback poster, it looks like the glue MIGHT be coming away. A question for a pro restorer -- are 1940s half sheets all on thick stock and can the effects of moisture etc cause the top layer to come away from the cardboard? 

Mel, be interested to know how much this guy is asking? If it's under $100, and you can afford to lose the money then you might class this as a 30-1 bet. Ie 29 times out of thirty you're gonna lose your bet...but once in a while the horse comes in. If you could get photos of the back of the poster, you could massively improve your odds of finding out whether it's a real Casablanca half sheet. Intrigued to hear how this goes...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »
... surely that CASABLANCA looks way too shiny ... ?
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

scartacus

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
Good point, Terry. Vintage paper shouldn't reflect light like that -- but glossy paper stock certainly will. But is the shine there as a result of the paper reflecting the camera flash or is it a case of the glass playing tricks? I'm assuming it's framed behind glass, right? Buying framed posters is such a lottery but if you score, you score bigtime...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17:27 AM »
Yes, it was on Ebay, placed in the wrong category.  The guy wants $250 for it, including the frame.  He says he's elderly and took it off Ebay after being barraged with "is this original" questions.  That's all I know.  Assuming it's true he bought it in 1971, were there any high quality reprints back then?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Mel - do some research into the Portal reproductions and see what you turn up...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
Hang on to your money Mel, that is most definitely a re-pro. As Terry says it's way too shiny, the measurements are wrong, It dose not lay in the frame right which implies wrong paper stock, there's no folds.

I have a re-pro Creature from the black lagoon Half sheet from the early 1970's that looks very similar, maybe by the same company as there was quite a few different titles released by them.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
Cannot find Creature at the moment, but here are two of the Portal posters Chris mentioned. Both dated 1976 by the way.

scartacus

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
what size are they, Paul? Same as the real posters?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
No they are slightly smaller, around 36"x26".

I do seem to remember The Cassablanca poster was the same size as the Creature from the black lagoon one, and they are both landscape format. Though they may have been released by a differant company?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »
Well, the poster I was referencing is a trimmed Casablanca half sheet.  The seller claims he bought it in 1971 and that it's original.  Any thoughts whether this really is original?  This is the best pic I've got and all the info I've got, so now you know as much as I do.

This has been floating on ebay for a while, along  with at least one other... The shininess and the rippling are dead giveaways that this is a repro.

-Jeff