Author Topic: Blu-tack removal...  (Read 3602 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Blu-tack removal...
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
Just a bit of info for those who haven't tried, and aren't sure.  I picked up a scarce poster several weeks ago, the back was covered in Blu-tack, which had been on a while. There was also some on the front which didn't show up on the photo they posted. I thought I'd better pick this poster up what ever the state, but the more I kept looking at it the more the Blu-tack annoyed me.

So I tried using Lighter fluid to get the Blu-tack off, and a blunt knife. It works a treat, and while it is still damp from the Fluid, or you can add more fluid after the Blu-tack has gone. I wiped the poster with a kitchen towel, and it has brought most if not all of the staining out caused by the Blu-tack.

I wish I'd taken some pics of before and after, but will do if I do another. I have not bid on a few posters due to them having this problem, but seeing how easy it is to rectify, I won't be put off in future....   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Blu-tack removal...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Paul, Im not familiar with Blu-tack.

What is that? Some kind of tape or adhesive?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
It's a bit like plasticine Jeff, it's used to quickly stick paper on to a wall. Unfortunately widely used all over the U.K. I guess there will be a U.S. variation of it...  It leaves an oil stain in the paper, and sometimes just removing it from the back of a poster can tare the surface it is stuck to.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
I use Blu-Tack all the time, but only on the bottom of the frames to hold them permanently level on the wall
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
It's a bit like plasticine Jeff, it's used to quickly stick paper on to a wall. Unfortunately widely used all over the U.K. I guess there will be a U.S. variation of it...  It leaves an oil stain in the paper, and sometimes just removing it from the back of a poster can tare the surface it is stuck to.

Ah yes.. we have an equivalent here, too Paul. Im sure it must be petroleum based or have that added, as Ive seen the US version leave what look like the same slight oil marks on paper.

The also sell a product here--probably the same basic material, that one can use under small figurines, etc, to "stick" them to a surface, so they are less likely to fall in the table or shelf is bumped.

Thanks, Paul.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
That's the stuff, it's great, but Bloody awful....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
I use Blu-Tack all the time, but only on the bottom of the frames to hold them permanently level on the wall

I have done this, too, David. But have noticed those same pesky oil stains on the wall, if there was ever a time to remove or move the frame.

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »
I must admit, I screw my frames to the wall using Brass clips to fasten to the frame. Nothing ever moves.... ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
Yes Blue-tack is a oily, greasy mess and doesn't mix well with paper (or walls!)
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
I have done this, too, David. But have noticed those same pesky oil stains on the wall, if there was ever a time to remove or move the frame.

Rarely have a need to remove a frame from a wall, unless I have been directed to redecorate.  :P Besides I only use a very very small piece
David