Author Topic: Video posters?  (Read 70052 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Video posters?
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »
I bought the silly thing. I specifically asked the seller beforehand if it was holofoil so I sure hope when it arrives that it is holofoil. Fingers crossed.

Fingers have been long crossed, Jason.   ;D

So was this one a true holofoil? (here's hopin' and prayin')   prayer.gif
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:21:27 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
Hard to believe but there were 9K+ Blockbuster stores in U.S.!

Now...

guest4955

« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
I checked HA for noteworthy "video" posters but pickings were slim:

Remember, white jacket = video, black = international MP

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Authentication_LA_Confidential.html

Erstwhile NS4 "wild man" Ari recently told me that old video posters are selling well Down Under:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Showcase_Rare.html

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2023, 09:36:47 PM »
Most of these are video posters.  But, a few are something else.  Either way, they are all non-theatrical................

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2023, 11:25:30 AM »
Lovely selection, Schan -- I can see there's a fair few Boris posters I still need to track down! Never seen that Krull before either. Very nice.

I think video posters are underrated. There's some crackers out there with unique artwork for straight-to-video titles in the US I'd love to find (Death Spa or Headless Eyes anyone?!) but here are a few of the ones I have collected (from the US, UK and Japan):

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:27:47 AM by Mardukas »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2023, 02:51:21 PM »
Totally forgot about this thread.  Thanks for bringing it back to life, Schan.  Some really good stuff there.  I collect Struzan, and seeing your post last night reminded me of that Better Off Dead poster that I wanted years ago and completely forgot about.  So I bought it.  Thanks for making me spend money.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »
Totally forgot about this thread.  Thanks for bringing it back to life, Schan.  Some really good stuff there.  I collect Struzan, and seeing your post last night reminded me of that Better Off Dead poster that I wanted years ago and completely forgot about.  So I bought it.  Thanks for making me spend money.

T

thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:38:37 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2023, 03:26:12 AM »
I can see there's a fair few Boris posters I still need to track down!

Boris is tough man..........I have been working on a complete theatrical catalog for a long time.  There are a couple of hard-to-find ones I have left.  There are a couple of easy ones too, but I am in no hurry to grab those until they are the last ones.  If you check out the artist subforum, there is a thread.......
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »
I think video posters are underrated. There's some crackers out there with unique artwork for straight-to-video titles in the US I'd love to find (Death Spa or Headless Eyes anyone?!) but here are a few of the ones I have collected (from the US, UK and Japan):

This poster is vastly superior to the completely bland one sheet.

I have several dozen video posters somewhere. Mostly freebies I picked up from actual video stores back in the day. I tend to like the cheesier the better. My favorite was for Sorority Babes in the Slimball Bowl-O-Rama, which hung on my dorm wall and always made for an interesting conversation piece.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2023, 06:03:27 PM »
Alternate artwork on this Risky Business UK video poster, with a unique tagline, the car a different color, etc.:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 06:07:11 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2023, 06:29:35 PM »
Another one from the UK that ended recently, with a slightly different tagline: 

Pretty impressive price:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »
Alternate artwork on this Risky Business UK video poster, with a unique tagline, the car a different color, etc.:

Interesting.  I just checked my website for other variations, but this is a new one entirely.  On the original, the head is from Carl Ramsey while the girl on the car is from Drew Struzan.

Here you have the OS, the OS Intl. and the OS Spanish language.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2023, 06:47:07 PM »
Another one from the UK that ended recently, with a slightly different tagline: 

Pretty impressive price:

Insane price!!!  I still like the quad better.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2023, 08:23:20 PM »
Interesting.  I just checked my website for other variations, but this is a new one entirely.  On the original, the head is from Carl Ramsey while the girl on the car is from Drew Struzan.

T

The Struzan work is classic.  This UK video version is so different, and perfect for a video store, imo.  It would be cool to find out who the artist is, and see their other work.  I'll have to research it someday.

Insane price!!!  I still like the quad better.

T

Yeah the quad is cool, although I think it's more of a vertical format style.  Maybe I'm just too used to the standard USA formats.   8)  A hardcore Mad Max fan probably shelled out the (relatively) big bucks for it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:25:35 PM by Neo »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2023, 08:55:58 PM »
Up. That's where video posters are going
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »
A hardcore Mad Max fan probably shelled out the (relatively) big bucks for it.

What I meant to say is that the price is really high for a poster in such a poor condition.  It belongs in the trash, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2023, 03:12:49 PM »
What I meant to say is that the price is really high for a poster in such a poor condition.  It belongs in the trash, imo.

T

A simple, quality backing and an hour or 2 of touch-ups and it would be in excellent condition.  Restored condition, of course; for most Mad Max fans, completists, etc. that would be OK.  It's from before the film was even released, and extremely scarce, pre-certification, for such a popular film, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:54:28 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2023, 03:27:49 PM »
Up. That's where video posters are going

Yeah they're fun and many are exceedingly rare.  So many different styles the video posters have compared to the theater releases, and many for movies that weren't released in theaters.  A lot of times when I browse through some of them I see something I haven't seen that's cool, wacky, etc.

Bionaut (1991) aka Beasties

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:32:44 PM by Neo »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
Yeah they're fun and many are exceedingly rare.  So many different styles the video posters have compared to the theater releases, and many for movies that weren't released in theaters. 

Yes, there are a few with even BETTER artwork than theatrical posters.
Matias

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
A simple, quality backing and an hour or 2 of touch-ups and it would be in excellent condition.  Restored condition, of course; for most Mad Max fans, completists, etc. that would be OK.  It's from before the film was even released, and extremely scarce, pre-certification, for such a popular film, etc.

Point taken.  Yeah, you're right, I never think about linenbacking because it is something I dislike so much.  I would have not bought this poster because it's in terrible shape and I don't linenback.

Why do you say that it's before the film was even released?  Wasn't it released theatrically in Australia in '79, then in the UK and around the world and on home video a few years later?

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2023, 02:57:58 PM »
Point taken.  Yeah, you're right, I never think about linenbacking because it is something I dislike so much.  I would have never bought this poster because it's in terrible shape and I don't linenback.  But... to each his own.  I know you did not buy it so you don't have any eggs in that basket.

Why do you say that it's before the film was even released?  Wasn't it released theatrically in Australia in '79, then in the UK and around the world and on home video a few years later?

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #247 on: September 01, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »

T

You're right, I mistyped.  I was typing on my phone and was going to mention the pre-certification aka pre-cert dealio, but got off track and didn't notice it until after the editing time window closed.  I should've added a post to mention that.

Now that I'm on my home computer, I can edit the above, including where I misspelled "mistyped"  :P and add additional context. 

There's a pretty strong pre-cert fan base that collects the stuff.  The "video nasties" and their swag, that played a large role in the censorship, banning, etc. of some films in the UK, seem to command a relatively high price.  I was going to say since this Mad Max video poster is pre-cert, maybe some folks would put a premium on it for that reason.  I don't know enough about that genre to say if that's the case, but I'm sure that attribute is a bonus for some folks. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:55:05 PM by Neo »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #248 on: September 18, 2023, 12:12:11 PM »
Here's one I never thought I would get, but happily did. Argentinean video release poster for Halloween

Matias

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2023, 04:39:08 PM »

Here's one I never thought I would get, but happily did. Argentinean video release poster for Halloween

Nice one.  Perfect timing for the season also.  cool1