Author Topic: The wonderful Royal Mail!!!!!!!!  (Read 15513 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: The wonderful Royal Mail!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
Yes some of the packing is not quite the ticket, I wish I had a photo of the one that was scrunched up in a shoe box (I kid you not).
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
I THOUGHT I had "seen it all" when it comes to terrible packaging, but a few weeks ago I got the all-time topper!

I had won a travel poster on eBay for over $100, and a few days after I paid, I got an anguished e-mail from someone else who had bought from that person, and they said their purchases had come in a really flimsy tube, and that it had arrived bent in half, and he was e-mailing the seller and others who had bought from this person, urging them to tell her to get better tubes.

I contacted her right away, but alas, she had already sent it. It came a few days later, and the tube was EXACTLY like what is inside a roll of paper towels (and only around 2 inches wide at most, and it was over 30 inches long (do they make rolls of paper towels that wide?). To boot, she solely rolled the paper very tightly and stuffed it inside, with no wrapping, or padding at the ends, and she put clear tape over each end.

Of course it was bent in half (it could barely be held without bending, and the slightest pressure would dent it), and the poster now has huge creases down the middle.

To the seller's credit, she offered to give me a full refund, and I offered to keep it for $35, and she accepted, and refunded me the difference. I was just feeling sorry for her, because it is only worth $100 or so in nice condition, so it is not worth backing, and the creases are extremely noticeable.

The capper is that she told me she asked the Post Office if the tube was strong enough, and they assured her it was!

I have the tube and I intend to photograph it and put it on my site.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »
I bought a fantasia, original release daybill off ebay, it came in a paper envelope, no card, struffed in my letterbox. lucky older posters can usually survive, glossy ones are harder, it turned out ok, and a day later I sold it to a dealer for $US1000, cost me $30 Aussie, so I didn't complain. but its funny to think what value could have been lost - by the way I didnt rip the seller off, she listed as OLD FANTASIA POSTER, with no picture, I took a gamble, that paid off.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
Sweet find Ari.  And yes, I've noticed that older paper (assuming its not brittle) does hold up better to normal wear and tear. 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
EPISODE 8 - THE REVENGE OF POSTMAN PAT.

NOT SO LONG AGO, IN A GALAXY NOT SO FAR AWAY. THE EMPIRE (royal mail) WAS OUT TO STOP A BAND OF REBALS KNOWN AS THE POSTER COLLECTORS.

Old Obi-Wan (me) was buying a poster from a Jawa (some guy in the south of England) who did not want to take the poster out of a frame, as it had been in there all the time he had owned it. Fair enough thought Obi-wan, it will be well packaged, and have all the "FRAGILE" markings on it.

It will be delivered by "THE FORCE" (parcel force that is, same as Royal mail)  So all should be well.

THE POSTER ARRIVED, AND THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUIMISH. SO THOSE OF A NERVIOUS DISPOSITION GO AND CHECK OUT THE DISNEY CHANEL?

There was an uneasy feeling and a strange noise coming from the package........THE EMPIRE HAD STRUCK BACK, AGAIN.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
BEWARE THE EMPIRE?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
Paul that is cringe-worthy! 

But I am glad to see you are in good humor about it...was the package insured?

Also, did the actual poster sustain any damage?

I don't think I would EVER ship a poster still in the frame OR have one shipped to me...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
Well Chris, I have been told that they will carry glass items, but are not liable if there is any damage?? So the reply was "TUFF" they would not do anything about it. Yet the guy selling would not take the poster out of the frame. So I had to take a chance if I wanted the poster.

Luckily the poster only had a few minor scuffs, so very very lucky. It could have been so much worse, as the amount of glass shards in the packaging was unbelievable.

I was planning on some restoration work as it needs some, but as this quad is so so rare, plus I love the film I had to have it. It is the only Quad I have ever seen from the first release.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
WTF? You have got to be kidding??

I think I found the guy...