Author Topic: Horizontal Daybills  (Read 14417 times)

guest4208

Re: Horizontal Daybills
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 01:50:26 AM »
The View to a Kill daybill that I have came from an old cinema collection. It doesn't have a rating but the owner said he displayed it for the original release of the film in his cinema. I know Bruce had one years ago but unfortunately I dont have much more information on its origin.

guest4208

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 01:55:09 AM »
Although maybe someone, somewhere can finally post the elusive Temple of Doom horizontal daybill which appears mythic at this point...

Is this the one you are referring to?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »
The View to a Kill daybill that I have came from an old cinema collection. It doesn't have a rating but the owner said he displayed it for the original release of the film in his cinema. I know Bruce had one years ago but unfortunately I dont have much more information on its origin.

John it was discussed earlier this year - I have the same one and asked the question...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3910.0.html
David

guest4208

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »
Hi David
The photos have all been removed in that thread. Was your poster folded? The poster I have is rolled and came from another dealer in Melbourne. Again, its hard to be certain as to how or where it was released but it appears to have been printed here in Australia.
Regards
John

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »
In the View to a kill Aussie exhibitor information sheet mentions daybill (singular), also has 6' standees of Moore and grace  jones, yikes.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 05:03:59 AM »

Yep, that's the one I remember seeing
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
Decided to take your memory pills I see.  moron1
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 05:55:09 AM »
Decided to take your memory pills I see.  moron1

One of these days Ari...one of these days...
Ves

ozcinemagic

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 06:15:59 AM »
Hi Mark,

NO - only 2 styles of daybills were printed for Temple of Doom - the jungle style (unique to oz) and the whip style (derived from the quad).

There have only ever been 2 horizontal daybills printed to my knowledge. 1) The 1920's silent era BEN HUR and the 1963 Coppola trash title DEMENTIA 13.

There were horizontal photobusters - a set of 8 - 10 and they were landscape around a 16 x 20 inch in size.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Keith

ozcinemagic

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »

I have seen 1970s and earlier Aus posters printed without ratings, for the NZ market. For the gloss paper from '80s on I haven't seen it though. If there's no rating I tend to think of it as a promo poster, rather than printed specifically to advertise the film to the public (or foreign poster). I think it is / was law to have the rating visible.
John, you have handled a million more posters than me. Have you noticed any 1980s on without ratings before?

Charlie

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:50 AM »

Now that would look good under my window!

guest4208

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:04 AM »
NO - only 2 styles of daybills were printed for Temple of Doom - the jungle style (unique to oz) and the whip style (derived from the quad).

Leaving the horizontal poster aside, there are actually three daybills for Temple of Doom:

Mike Vaughan Jungle Art
Whip art version
Whip art with "The Hero is Back" at the top of the poster.

guest4208

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »
John, you have handled a million more posters than me. Have you noticed any 1980s on without ratings before?
Although you would think that ratings should have been included on all posters there have been quite a lot of daybills without ratings over the years. This is sometimes due to the fact that the daybill was printed for use in New Zealand or other regions and occasionally for other reasons.

Without spending too much time delving through the archives, here is an example of a post 80s daybill without a rating ....

Sometimes it is impossible to be absolutely certain about the origins of a poster. You often hear people who will swear on their mother's grave that a poster was printed at a certain time but when they are asked to produce something definitive to actually prove what they are saying they can never come up with the goods. Pressbooks cannot always be relied on.

Information about Australian movie posters is often anecdotal based on the knowledge and experience of collectors and dealers and there are times when opinions will differ.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 09:15:12 AM »
There's also an el cheapo silk screen daybill floating around.

And keiths memory is obviously worse than mine.

And Vesna, one day, ok, meet you there :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
Hi David
The photos have all been removed in that thread. Was your poster folded? The poster I have is rolled and came from another dealer in Melbourne. Again, its hard to be certain as to how or where it was released but it appears to have been printed here in Australia.
Regards
John

Yes it is folded, I'd have to pull it out to have a better look at it to see if it was machine folded or otherwise

David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
Thanks John!  Been waiting years to finally see that horizontal ToD. 

That's like several fortnights Ari - but happy to see you really aren't crazy (except crazy loveable  :-* )
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
Yeah well it took time, but my reputation is now intact, oh wait.. Well it's less untact than it was a fortnight ago.
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »
Thanks Man!  One on the way to Texas...  I've got the perfect spot for it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
It's a cool poster and an easy price to live with.
Is it a daybill? Not in my mind. The horizontal format, lack of rating and no printer's information all go against it. For a major release like TOD the rating would definitely have been on an Australian printed piece.
Seeing the posters available in UK confirms my suspicions. I think it is a Brit promo poster, probably used in Australia for video.
As I mentioned in another thread we were using Brit 1 sheets for Bond films in the eighties. I have several here.
We also used Brit material for video. The Return of the Living Dead quad Rick posted just recently came out of a video store.
So there you go!  :)

guest4208

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »
Hard to say for sure about exactly what it is but you could be right. I believe it was used in Australia but it may have to come down to guesswork as to where it was printed and for what purpose.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
Hard to say for sure about exactly what it is but you could be right. I believe it was used in Australia but it may have to come down to guesswork as to where it was printed and for what purpose.

I know one thing for certain - I just sold two for that UK seller!!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
I thought Moveposters direct only sold repros....?
It's more than a Hobby...