Author Topic: Horizontal Daybills  (Read 14418 times)

Charlie

Horizontal Daybills
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
OK you daybill-o-files...  I was thinking about adding some more horizontal daybills to my collection as I need one below one of my windows to go with my Dementia 13..  I've seen the bond daybill but 'eh'...  So lets come up with a photo list.  I'll start with the two I know.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:54:02 PM by Charlie »

ozcinemagic

Re: Horizontal Daybills
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
Be good to hear some more information from John regarding the 007 poster. It carries no rating that I can see. UIP was Aussie distributor for the film, but I can't tell if that appears in the small print.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
For the video releases here in Oz...

Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I do believe this is going to be a VERY short thread
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Be good to hear some more information from John regarding the 007 poster. It carries no rating that I can see. UIP was Aussie distributor for the film, but I can't tell if that appears in the small print.

It was a poster that was included in the original promo pack, so technically not a Daybill I suppose. I believe they are not very common...if you want one, I know where you can get one.  ;)
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
Although maybe someone, somewhere can finally post the elusive Temple of Doom horizontal daybill which appears mythic at this point...
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
It was a poster that was included in the original promo pack, so technically not a Daybill I suppose. I believe they are not very common...if you want one, I know where you can get one.  ;)

Brit piece?

And yeah, I'll take it. Fair trade on Harry & Hendersons. Send it right up!  :D

ozcinemagic

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
Although maybe someone, somewhere can finally post the elusive Temple of Doom horizontal daybill which appears mythic at this point...

Possibly someone misinterpreting a banner image from the pressbook, Chris. I have never seen one.

(Yes, I know this is Last Crusade)!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:25:37 PM by ozcinemagic »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

Yeah sorry, I would love to, all I know is the guy who had them, and he is no longer in the poster biz, although his son might be, they were oz sell on eBay, and had a store, stars rock and movie posters in Sydney, it's been so long now. One day it will show up again. I believe there's a similar thread on ns4 somewhere which would have all known titles I would think, although. Don't think those blood simple videos were mentioned.

Possibly someone misinterpreting a banner image from the pressbook, Chris. I have never seen one.

(Yes, I know this is Last Crusade)!

See above, I wish it was that simple.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Just dug out my TOD Aussie exhibitor sheet, no daybill images as such, well one kinda, mentions two styles of daybills, not three, I wonder if it was a video poster... Seems strange as I don't believe they delt in video posters, but then again never know with these people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »
Brit piece?

And yeah, I'll take it. Fair trade on Harry & Hendersons. Send it right up!  :D

For my Harry and the Hendersons? Geeze I bet you want me to top that trade up with cash too...looks like your brain melted faster than the snow you had the other day!  :D
David

ozcinemagic

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
Yeah sorry, I would love to, all I know is the guy who had them, and he is no longer in the poster biz, although his son might be, they were oz sell on eBay, and had a store, stars rock and movie posters in Sydney, it's been so long now. One day it will show up again. I believe there's a similar thread on ns4 somewhere which would have all known titles I would think, although. Don't think those blood simple videos were mentioned.
See above, I wish it was that simple.

ozsell is still trading regularly on ebay, Ari. It was Keith who had the stores, but I'm not sure if he's still behind the ebay biz. In the '80s he was the biggest in Sydney.
He was buddies with Lawrence Bassoff, who was living in McMahon's Point, Sydney for a while.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:09:04 AM by ozcinemagic »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »
Yes it was Keith that showed it to me, I lived a few blocks from stars, and went there on weekends often.mhis son took over years back when it was just eBay, someone might email him and see, I think keith bought a pizza store or something.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »
Sounds like the next Indy adventure - "Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Horizontal Daybill Which May or May Not Be Real But Could Be IF We All Believe Strong Enough" - where can I get tickets?!
Chris

ozcinemagic

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
I sent a query through ebay.
Now we wait.
Who's betting?  :o

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »
Not me.
Unless it's hammer, Ari knows not what he speaks of.
Ves

ozcinemagic

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
Not me.
Unless it's hammer, Ari knows not what he speaks of.

To be fair I should mention that there was a lot of good gunja going round Sydney back in the day. Vietnam Buddha buds, locally cultivated sins etc. A trip to Stars to "check out the posters, man" was a common odyssey. You could see anything in there!  ;)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:38:36 AM by ozcinemagic »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Bah, Phil has seen it also I think,  I only remember as I had a dementia 13 and at that time thought it was the only title like this, Keith also had that superb Ben hur and anyways Vesna please refresh your won memory

http://stylec.yuku.com/reply/106570/Daybill-Help-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark#reply-106570
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
Hmmm...wonder what happened to the image of the Ben Hur in that NS4 thread - it's one we could have added here
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »
Bah, Phil has seen it also I think,  I only remember as I had a dementia 13 and at that time thought it was the only title like this, Keith also had that superb Ben hur and anyways Vesna please refresh your won memory

http://stylec.yuku.com/reply/106570/Daybill-Help-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark#reply-106570

Clearly this statement by you backs up my statement as I forgot all about that
"And glad Vesna also thinks it was TOD, she has a memory, whereas I used to have one (I think - can't recall) "
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 12:55:38 AM »
Nevermind - appears I linked to Ozsell's site for the pic which is no longer active  :-\
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »
Yes I admit I couldn't and can't remember what one it was, because all those movies are the same to me, I remember he was in the left side, with a whip that went towards the Center, maybe past the Center to the right, title under whip. Ugly.
An Error Has Occurred!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
1920s horizontal is a lot different to 1980s!!
Don't forget all the cinemas' displays were set up for vertical daybills, and had been for last 50 years. A lot of the smaller theatres didn't even use one sheets.
Nearly every one of those Dementia 13 dbs I've seen is unused / mint. I wonder if they were ever issued? Like R70s Day Earth Stood Still, they may not have been ever sold to the theatres.

BTW I have seen a large 2 sheet size (?) poster for TOD that was used in NZ. Had English title in usual style, but rest of writing was foreign. Not sure what country, but was something like 60 x 40".
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:58:54 AM by ozcinemagic »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »
Always anomalies with Aussie posters, but as above, there is a chance it was a video poster, I really don't know. I didn't delve as these films have no interest to me. And I was only collecting then, so info for knowledge sake alone wasn't so important, if it wasn't something I would buy.

Anyways, seems after all this time, there is no image on the net, so fingers crossed Keith's son remembers it, or even better still has one or more.

An Error Has Occurred!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
Always anomalies with Aussie posters, but as above, there is a chance it was a video poster, I really don't know. I didn't delve as these films have no interest to me. And I was only collecting then, so info for knowledge sake alone wasn't so important, if it wasn't something I would buy.

Anyways, seems after all this time, there is no image on the net, so fingers crossed Keith's son remembers it, or even better still has one or more.

If he has one, hopefully it can be bought. Crikey, Chris will get his maple leaf engraved wallet out big time for that! ;)